New toy...MS290..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two brothers, Sam and Harry. Neither ride dirt bikes. However they may claim to if they think that will get them somewhere with a girl. :laugh:

Do you live near Toms Brook, VA. I have a lot of relatives down there, some I claim and some I do not. If Ron is one of the ones I do not claim I hope you got your money first. If not let me know and we will hunt him down like a wild animal.

:ices_rofl: Nah..this was a Road King...No where near Tom's Brook..I live in Beruit News currently..but I'm moving to the sticks soon...hence the new saw...:D

If Sam and Harry had that Road King they wouldn't have to talk as fast to the girls...:rock:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Yawn. :D

Some o these guys make it sound alot like a wild thing...

hmmm...if you've ever been to one of the biker parties that actually measure on the Richter scale...they usually have a honda roast...maybe the GTG ought to have Wild Thing Roast...run it at WOT until it scatters...:blob2: :laugh:

It all depends on user expectation, I sure wouldn't want one. .want something smoother and lighter, like the PS5100.

No, nothing to do with expectation. It depends on the user's intended use. That's why when people show up at this site asking which chainsaw to buy, 6 or 8 people always ask "what will you be using the chainsaw for?"

It is always important to match the tool to the job. Ask your husband, he has mentioned it numerous times.

The salesman that sells saws knows his chances of selling a professional saw to a homeowner are slim. Stihl knows that too which is why the 290 is the best selling saw. Husky knows that too, they have a saw very similiar to the 290. Funny, no one ever says anything about that saw.

No, nothing to do with expectation. It depends on the user's intended use. .....

Wrong, it isn't one or the other, it quite obviously is both.....:bang: ;) :D :D

And I believe the Husky 455/460 has got their fair share of the FLAK here, for partly the same reasons as the MS290.....

Last edited:
Wrong, it isn't one or the other, it quite obviously is both.....:bang: ;) :D :D

And I believe the Husky 455/460 has got their fair share of the FLAK here, for partly the same reasons as the MS290.....

No, it isn't both. For example:

I can go into a saw shop to buy a saw. If the saw salesman asks me about what I am going to use it for, I'll say I want to cut some 32" Douglas Fir. He can sell me a saw.

But if I go into a saw shop and the salesman asks me what I expect, and I say I expect a saw that weighs 10 pounds with a 32" bar and makes 9 hp, he can't sell me a saw.

This is why a salesman asks about what you want to use a saw for, not what you expect.

Now, if I follow your pattern of behavior on this site regarding the MS290, which seems to be the MS290 is a bad saw because it doesn't fit your needs... I can say that your car,tools, or whatever it is, it doesn't fit my needs. Then I can call whatever it is that you own a bad item. I know that is not true. If you also recognize that is not true, then you also recognize there is a need and a market for the MS290. Since the 290 is a top seller, the end user also recognizes this.

I wasn't referring to the Husky 450/455.

Two of my buddies run 290's as their only saw. Both have had no problems thus far and are very happy with them.

No, it isn't both. For example:

I can go into a saw shop to buy a saw. If the saw salesman asks me about what I am going to use it for, I'll say I want to cut some 32" Douglas Fir. He can sell me a saw.

But if I go into a saw shop and the salesman asks me what I expect, and I say I expect a saw that weighs 10 pounds with a 32" bar and makes 9 hp, he can't sell me a saw. .....

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I wasn't talking about what happens in the shop at all, but about how the saw someone has bought behaves and cuts, compared to how that person expected it to.
If you have bought a cheap tool, you shouldn't expect it to behave like a first rate one - same with cars and most everything else.
It is also natural that when cutting firewood for yourself, you don't really have a time limit, so how fast the job gets done is not that important - just that it gets done without too much hazzle....

I wasn't referring to the Husky 450/455.
(Should be 455/460).

What other Huskys are even remotely comparable to the MS290?????

The answer is quite simple - NONE!

Anyway, :sucks: - so much argument over a statement that was perfectly valid from the outset...........:D :D

Last edited:
The 290 is a saw built to a price point. Stihl has hit the nail on the head because it is the number one selling saw, from the number one selling manufacturer of chain saws. That is a pretty lofty position in the chain saw world.

The 290 might have its issues, but year after year people vote it #1 with their hard earned dollars.

Only the strong survive...

There sure are alot of old beat to sh** 029's out there that were not maintained and still cutting fine.. I have seen plenty..

. There kinda like the energizer bunny

I wasn't talking about what happens in the shop at all, but about how the saw someone has bought behaves and cuts, compared to how that person expected it to.
If you have bought a cheap tool, you shouldn't expect it to behave like a first rate one - same with cars and most everything else.
It is also natural that when cutting firewood for yourself, you don't really have a time limit, so how fast the job gets done is not that important - just that it gets done without too much hazzle....

(Should be 455/460).

What other Huskys are even remotely comparable to the MS290?????

The answer is quite simple - NONE!

Anyway, :sucks: - so much argument over a statement that was perfectly valid from the outset...........:D :D

I would venture to say that 99% of the people that use a 290 aren't too concerned whether a 290 cuts as well as a pro saw, or has as good antivibe, or is as easy to rebuild, or has as much power. They want a good solid saw that runs that they can get serviced. Didn't Tom go over all this? :bang: Certainly some of the people that buy 290's are upgrading from a lesser model, possibly from a different manufacturer. For these people, the 290 is an upgrade and more power than they had. Some 290 purchase's, hey, it's their first saw and they may not have bought a saw if they did not have a choice to buy a 290. These people have nothing to compare to. Didn't we go over all this? :bang:

Just because the 290 does not fit your wants doesn't mean it can't fit other people's needs. Notice I wrote your wants! The reality is a 290 would cut just about everything you need to cut just fine. You need a saw, you don't want a 290. (This is difficult for me to understand since you admit you have never ran one!)

There is a big difference between wants and needs. I don't want a 290 either, but if I needed a saw and was budget strapped I'd sure be looking at one!

Since I am not a Husky fan and don't research Husky's much, mainly because Stihl doesn't have much competition in this area, I was thinking of the Husky 350.

so much argument over a statement that was perfectly valid from the outset...........:D :D

I'm not arguing. I'm disagreeing with you. You posted your opinion based on the saws you want. Sometimes this is completely different than the saw someone else needs.

Many 290's get sold to government/municipalities/bid jobs because it comes in being able to swing a 20" bar at a price level that is hard to beat, and the service available is great.

Sometimes people want a better saw, but they need to spend less money.

I would venture to say that 99% of the people that use a 290 aren't too concerned whether a 290 cuts as well as a pro saw, or has as good antivibe, or is as easy to rebuild, or has as much power. They want a good solid saw that runs that they can get serviced. Didn't Tom go over all this? :bang: Certainly some of the people that buy 290's are upgrading from a lesser model, possibly from a different manufacturer. For these people, the 290 is an upgrade and more power than they had. Some 290 purchase's, hey, it's their first saw and they may not have bought a saw if they did not have a choice to buy a 290. These people have nothing to compare to. Didn't we go over all this? :bang:

amen

heh...you guyz like to argue....

Harley Davidson sportsters are built to a price point too...:cheers:

Here is the thing with the 290...it's a high end utility saw, from my point of view anyway...primary purpose is cutting firewood, but I will eed a saw capable of felling some decent size trees eventually, and probably will have to buck some pretty good sized tree trunks...I bought the saw because it is spec'd to do what I need and doesn't cost and arm and a leg...I'd love to have a pro saw, MS361 would be fine with me, but it is overkill...I'm not cutting every day, and not cutting every week, I can expect to use it every month at least, maybe more ofetn at certain times of the year...it'll do what I want, and since it is stihl a stihl..I can expect it to perform well for me for
quite a few years...

Plus it was made in America..just a few miles from my house...:givebeer:

I do so love the byplay...can't wait to see the free for all when I get ready to buy a mill....:blob2:

I would venture to say that 99% of the people that use a 290 aren't too concerned whether a 290 cuts as well as a pro saw, or has as good antivibe, or is as easy to rebuild, or has as much power.

That's exactly what we call "user expectations", I think we are really discussing semantics, and don't really disagree that much........;)

Last edited:
That's exactly what we call "user expectations", I think we are really discussing semantics, and don't really disagree that much........;)

If you went from a 33 cc Poulan to a 57 cc 290, what would your expectations be? You'd probably think the saw did alright.

If you bought a 290 for your first saw, what would your expectations be? You'd probably think you had a good saw.

And it IS, to the group it is marketed to!!! Maybe you're not in that group and the saw doesn't meet your expectations, (if you ever run one!) but that certainly doesn't mean it's a bad saw.

It's no different than buying a Toyota and passing on the Mercedes. The person buying the Toyota knows they're not getting a Mercedes and they aren't paying for a Mercedes. But the Mercedes rides smoother, goes faster, is probably safer and more technologically advanced, has leather, and on and on... Both will get the job done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back