New Toys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
I picked up a chopping axe and throwing axe from Bailey's this week. Is there any place online to find out how to put a decent edge on them?
And what are the specs on a target for the throwing axe, diameter, height etc.

DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

troutfisher

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
OK, I shouldn't even post this, don't laugh at me now, but here's the jig I made to sharpen my axe.......... The arm that wipes across the blade is bent 7 degrees, so 7 degrees on each side leaves a 14 degree chisel edge. I use adhesive backed sandpaper on the jig, then stone by hand. I couldn't afford to do it right so I improvised.:(

attachment.php

attachment.php

husky394

husky394

ArboristSite Operative
Man, it looks like Christmas came early!!!

Trout, It looks like you have put a nice chisel on it, I like the jig.

You might want to try this for putting the edge on it. This is from Jamie Cogar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMqVVKXkm4&feature=channel_page

There are a bunch of cool timbersports stuff on his youtube as well.

There is more of my take on sharpening in this thread.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=73835
It should go without saying that Jamie know WWAAAAYYYY more about it than I do.

BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Since I'm just getting started I like the low/ no budget method of doing things. I'm going to steal your jig setup, and I picked up a knife sharpening set from ####'s Sporting Goods for 40$. It looks like it should be able to put an edge on them once I get a proper angle. Thanks for the advice guys.

troutfisher

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Very cool! Let us know how you make out. A person can spend thousands of dollars in this sport. I can't afford the best equipment, so I do what I can. I've only been chopping for a few months, so no matter what axe I have I'm gonna get beat for a while. Right now I could make Bolstad's axe look bad:) Once I'm getting closer to competition times and I think the axe is what's holding me back, I'll step up to something better.......sharpened by a pro.

Cheese

Cheese

ArboristSite Operative
Good looking jig. It reminds me my Tuatahi jig is out of sorts and needs to have a bolt replaced before I get back to axe maintenance here.

Axe/equipment maintenance is almost as big a part of axemenship as chopping technique. Learning how to take care of your own gear is a huge deal.

As for upgrading gear, an axe that is really suited to the wood is a special treat.

Keep an eye on Youtube for training bits, excellent advice there.

romeo

romeo

Addicted to ArboristSite
That jig looks fine trout, its no prettier than my ugly homemade jig. As for sharpening a throwing axe, I have been known to use a trailer hitch and a hammer (I keep hitting Andys 67 ford that is parked too close to the target).

troutfisher

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
As for sharpening a throwing axe, I have been known to use a trailer hitch and a hammer (I keep hitting Andys 67 ford that is parked too close to the target).

Yup! I have taken a grinder to it after bouncing it off some stones. I tend to mix axe throwing and beer drinking when practicing at home.......I don't need sharp tools:cheers:

Last edited:
troutfisher

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good looking jig. It reminds me my Tuatahi jig is out of sorts and needs to have a bolt replaced before I get back to axe maintenance here.

Axe/equipment maintenance is almost as big a part of axemenship as chopping technique. Learning how to take care of your own gear is a huge deal.

As for upgrading gear, an axe that is really suited to the wood is a special treat.

Keep an eye on Youtube for training bits, excellent advice there.

Thanks Cheese. I know you are an excellent chopper, It's good to see you here. Maybe you can help us wanna-be's.

redprospector

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
That jig looks fine trout, its no prettier than my ugly homemade jig. As for sharpening a throwing axe, I have been known to use a trailer hitch and a hammer (I keep hitting Andys 67 ford that is parked too close to the target).

I guess it would depend on who's throwing, whether that beautiful old truck is too close to the target.:laugh:
You, and Ella are the only ones to punish that old truck (yet).

I don't have a fancy throwing axe, but I've filed my full size KELLY enough that it's almost too light to be legal. ;)

Andy

romeo

romeo

Addicted to ArboristSite
I guess it would depend on who's throwing, whether that beautiful old truck is too close to the target.:laugh:
You, and Ella are the only ones to punish that old truck (yet).

I don't have a fancy throwing axe, but I've filed my full size KELLY enough that it's almost too light to be legal. ;)

Andy

At least I aim for the bumper, Ella usually squares the sheet metal.

BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
I didn't get to do much of anything this summer I was putting in 65-70 hours a week at the shop. I've got the gear and over the winter I'll have time to mess around and hopefully get some practice in, and maybe compete a couple times next year.

Latest posts