New 'visitor/customer' let them in the shop??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I use my 12x16 shed as my shop...I have a new guy, from out of town wanting to look @ a couple saws...

with all the theft happenings lately, i'm reluctant to let them in the shop, but what them to know i'm serious about what I do, and don't want to seem like i'm hiding something.

he does seem a bit flaky...:rolleyes:

IE: he thinks I should give him $100 ea for 2 H-350's that need work. one starts revs, but won't idle...the other he can't hold up by the pull start, and it will not start, unless he pulls it 12 times. (bad top end, i'm presuming....which sounds like the other will assume the same fate (air leak) if he keeps running it...

BUT... he then says:

'well, ya know, I don't wanna spend $150+ for a used saw around 40cc, when I can go to sears and, ya know, get a new Husky 137/142 for $200. with a warranty....' :rolleyes:

Sound like I should meet him in the driveway??

Jay

Yeah Id be careful. It really sucks now a days that you have to have that attitude but its the world we live in. Theres nothing wrong with meeting him in the driveway.

Meet 'em in the driveway.

If the guy is casing the joint, don't be giving him a guided tour and inventory list.

It ain't like you're meeting for tea and crumpets. That comes after ya got to know 'em.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It may not be very nice, but...
Write down his tag number and vehicle description. Use your cell phone to discretely snap a picture or two. IF something happens in the near future, your local PD will have something to start with.
I agree with others, meet in driveway or even somewhere "more convenient" for him that's not at your house.

there's a reason you feel like you do, I also, would not let him in unless of course you keep a couple of BIG dogs in the shop. I work in the midst of urban blight in CIncinnati and we keep a Rotty in the shop. Curious onlookers are met rather harshly at the gate...

I always meet 'em in a public place. Rather not have them know where I live.

+1 bring a few samples what is in his price range ball park,there is always a coffee shop, tell him to look for something like a blaze orange ball cap so he knows who you are and if he doesnt make it you had a cup of java and the inner sanctum remains sacred!

Another vote for meeting in a public place, or in the driveway. If he asks, jsut tell him it's your policy. No customers in the shop.

+1 don't take him to the inner sanctum!

I agree. To be polite, tell him that insurance regs say that you cant let customers inside. Doesnt matter if your shop is in a small shed. Around here, we can do a little work for profit, (with license of course) and homeowners will allow a certain amount for home business insurance. If he calls before he comes, have some of the inventory that he is interested in set outside with you waiting. I've never had my feelings hurt because of someone doing things this way for me. I understand why this is anyway. Besides, sounds like he's jerking you around anyway. No profit in taking in 2 saws for an even trade on one machine!

Thanks guys....

great support here, and quick replies as always..

he owns a landscaping biz, and talks about 'knowing people' 'long term biz' etc...

I don't mean to sound skeptical or otherwise, but when he's having a phone conversation with me, and speaking in another language to another person, makes me a little weary.

The shop is fairly discreet on the propertly, and I won't be eluding to him that there's anything more here. If fact, I'm 'done for the day @ the shop down the street, and it was easier for him to meet me here...' :)

I've only had two people see the shop. one is a friend. the other is a tree company owner...as I was fixing something for him on the spot... Didn't have much choice.

J

Honestly, I don't think I'd even waste my time meeting him! He doesn't sound like the type that is going to be bringing you any long term business, doesn't sound like he's willing, or able, to carry out any repair service with you in the future, and doesn't sound like he would if he even could!
I don't think he's got a pot to piss in, nor is he very smart if he thinks a Crapsman saw is worth owning!
I'd tell him to go buy the new Crapsman, not interested in what he has to sell and when he's serious about buying something that will last more than a week, and is serviceable, to give me a call. Otherwise, I think it's a waste of your time to even mess with him, much less have to worry about getting robbed. He doesn't even sound like a "tire kicker", sounds like he's out to fleece everyone he deals with.
Move on and find a better customer.

I don't mean to sound skeptical or otherwise, but when he's having a phone conversation with me, and speaking in another language to another person, makes me a little weary.

J

I would not deal with anybody that does that, not only is it anoying but its down rite rude and disrespectful. If you are going to deal with him make it worth yopur while.

Tell him to keep looking and you don't have any saws for sale right now. I only meet people in public places. If they are having problems with a saw and would like me to look at it, I will still meet them somewhere. Usually in town or at work.

I sell a few things on craigslist once a month or so. I try to meet at a grocery store parking lot and i always have my girlfriend with me or a friend just incase. I wouldnt even meet in the driveway i would meet some where public.

your not a dealer,so you are not obligated to let anyone near your shop.if he bauks at that then let him walk.

i do wood working and have lots of tools any machines i dont care to show people,i also stock alot of wood of different types.ive had at least one person who seen all the wood ask for a discount because i had so much extra?!

Definitely do the deal at a public place, even if he means you no harm, he might accidentally say something to the wrong person that could jam you up down the road. Better to be careful. I once had an old neighbor call me to borrow a trailer for the day, when he showed up he had his daughters BF with him, long story short his hitch ball was the wrong size and I had to leave them by the garage for a few minutes, the next day I noticed two ratchet wrenches missing, turns out the kid has a record.

Sounds like a deal i would just blow off man.
really,just blow it off.

Hey guys.

I use my 12x16 shed as my shop...I have a new guy, from out of town wanting to look @ a couple saws...

with all the theft happenings lately, i'm reluctant to let them in the shop, but what them to know i'm serious about what I do, and don't want to seem like i'm hiding something.

he does seem a bit flaky...:rolleyes:

IE: he thinks I should give him $100 ea for 2 H-350's that need work. one starts revs, but won't idle...the other he can't hold up by the pull start, and it will not start, unless he pulls it 12 times. (bad top end, i'm presuming....which sounds like the other will assume the same fate (air leak) if he keeps running it...

BUT... he then says:

'well, ya know, I don't wanna spend $150+ for a used saw around 40cc, when I can go to sears and, ya know, get a new Husky 137/142 for $200. with a warranty....' :rolleyes:

Sound like I should meet him in the driveway??

Jay

jay you say he speaks another language ?
that may not be a good sign also him wanting to sell things for high prices throws a red flag

do some checking with to see if any people are missing stuff
The out of town is what throws up a red flag big time
also i forgot what state you in

Last edited:
Back