Newb tree hugger to the site in need of a good saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Been a tree hugger for most of my life and used Mac for the last 30 years but now its time for a new saw what would you recommend. husky has cut there online sales and so has stihl were about 75 miles out of town and would like to buy online.

We cut mostly white ash and american elm and when were lucky red elm falls, sweet! easy to split.

Just to introduce myself thats me and this years ash:clap:

1.JPG

New Saw

I've never used them, but lots of people speak highly of Madsen's (I think they are located in Wash State) Anyway I get their magazine and they advertise Husky and Stihl. I personally like Jonsered (2171 for the stuff you have in your arms) and Husqvarna if you need a bigger saw (I have a Husky 395XPG and it's a great saw). Anyway, if you look I'm sure you can find something online. A good start is just look at the advertisers on this site.

That tree was a

55 or so foot white ash that was over the high power lines. it took every bit of the 20" bar to get that one, what Im holding is the last of the trunk before the (Y) that whole row will need to come down.

I was looking at the new Husky and Stihls and was told they had plastic for the cases is this true?:popcorn:

55 or so foot white ash that was over the high power lines. it took every bit of the 20" bar to get that one, what Im holding is the last of the trunk before the (Y) that whole row will need to come down.

I was looking at the new Husky and Stihls and was told they had plastic for the cases is this true?:popcorn:

Yes for the cheap homeowner ones, but not for the pro saws, they're still magnesium.

Welcome to AS, It's gonna be hard buying a saw online. You probably need to hold and feel a saw before buying it. You can't do that online. Find the nearest dealer and handle all the saws and pick out the one that will handle your work and feels right for you. Husky or stihl make several good saws that would do the job. Tell the dealer what size and kind of wood you will be cutting and he can show you the saws that will work Best for it.

Welcome neighbor. I agree, tough to buy unless you have it in your hands as far as feel and weight you actually prefere. Yeh, your in the boonies, buy from nearest dealer to be on safe side. Sooner or later you will need them, that is for sure! Bruce:clap:

Welcome to a fellow NoDak-type. I was born and raised in Minot/Surrey glad to see you actually have some trees up there.

Yup a few

Looks like there will be an endless supply of elm from the Dutch elms disease.
My 3rd favored firewood,

We'll keep planting so when you come back you'll be able to sit in some shade :cool:

Back