Newbie here, which saw under $200?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad you are not in my local market. I have a good running 017 for $40. Only thing wrong is the "master control" works like most of the used master controls work; not just right.

Things were better when we had toggle on - off switches, manual throttle latches and chokes.

This is all about opinion, and mine is that the 017s turn into POS. I wouldn't want one as a user.

I wouldn't get a CS-300 for what he has to do, I have one for a climbing saw, lacks the power to do 8-10" efficiently, but great for smaller stuff. Go with a Husky 141, about $180.

Dittos. Just up your budget by $50 and get a Makita DCS 401. It's a fantastic little saw and will easily handle your project and last a long time.

Or, if you're willing to chance a used saw than go to Ebay and look for a good used Stihl 026/028.

Don't forget about safety gear and proper safety techniques. If you haven't used a chain saw for quite a while, than brush up on basic chain saw safety.

Originally posted by shoot501
If you like blue and want a good saw check out Makita {Dolmar}, solid saw.

Dave's right about safety. Make sure you are familiar with the saw and at bare minimum, have eye and ear protection. Chaps are definitely recommended. This comes from a guy who got lucky, and only had 24 stitches in his knee. Don't see too many Makitas around here, I don't think you could go wrong with an Echo either, but I'm not too familiar with their line except the top-handles.

Make a trip to Wally World or Home Depot, Buy a Snapper or a Wild Thing or a Homelite. These saws will preform just fine for what you are using them for, and for years to come. Get an extra chain and you won't have to worry about sharpening.

Back