newbie here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl038

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey all, new guy here hailing from Quinte West, Ontario. I picked up my first saw a couple weeks ago from a pawn shop. A stihl 038 super for $200. Put a new 18" bar and chain on it, cleaned the carb, new fuel filter and tuned her up. Worked great felling a 60' pine in my backyard. I think this has spurred a new addiction and am already looking at another couple saws. I find this site has a wealth of knowledge and want to thank you all in advance! :cheers:

Welcome aboard,..you have started down a very slippery slope. You should really run away as fast as you can and not look back unless you want to spend all your spare time chasing ,then fixing saws.....;)

Welcome and congrats on the new saw...

There's no resisting this addiction. Now become addicted to safety equipment

Welcome and congrats on the new saw...

There's no resisting this addiction. Now become addicted to safety equipment

As for safety equipment, when I was at the dealer getting my parts I picked up the stihl "B" helmety system. It was $20 off on sale, I always wear steel toed boots and have many sets of good gloves. All I need is either a pair of chaps or pants, not sure which I should get.

Gloves aren't always best. They protect your hands but don't always offer the best feel on the saw. May personal preference is no gloves unless it's below freezing. Personally I just feel more comfortable with no slipping possibility.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think this has spurred a new addiction and am already looking at another couple saws. I find this site has a wealth of knowledge and want to thank you all in advance! :cheers:

You have no idea of what is going to happen to you ,do you?
You'll look at a saw to compliment that 038 , then you'll discover muffler modding , then you'll discover ported saws. After that , it becomes a blur . :D

Welcome to the site.

Agreed this is a great site. I find I spend way too much time here.

I used to live out that way. Worked at the mill in Glen Miller for 8 years.

Not sure if its still on kijiji or not, there was a Partner/Pioneer P5000 listed in carrying place. If it has a good top end I would suggest you scoop it up. Fun 50cc saw. Won't be long and you'll have more saws then you know what to do with.

Ha, hooked! Might as well get a second mortgage now..you need around 3 dozen saws minimum, then add to it, army surplus 58 wheel drive truck, tracked skidsteer with a grapple, bucket truck, new shop to hold all that stuff, 200 cord capacity woodshed, nuclear powered robotic drone wood processor, outside wood boiler big enough to heat several small villages, and etc.....

good luck!

well I got around to it, as requested, the saw

I do have 1 question about the bar. It does not have a hole to grease the roller tip. How do I go about greasing it?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back