Newbie isn't sure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone... long time lurker, first time poster.

I am rebuilding a splitter and wanted to see what everyone thought about the parts... I want respectable cycle times and durability from this.

Thanks in advance!

Take care,
Bill

**Briggs & Stratton I/C Horizontal OHV Engine — 342cc, 1550 Series, 15.5 Gross Torque, 1in. x 3 21/32in. Shaft - 11HP

**Haldex Hydraulic Pump — 22 GPM, 2-Stage

**Hydraulic Oil Tank — 12 Gallon

**Prince Detent Valve, 3/4in. Port Size, Model# LS-3000-2

youve got the gpm and the horsepower, cycle time is going to depend a lot on how big of a cylinder you are pushing. What size of cylinder are you using?
Even with a cylinder as big as 5 inch, I would think you should get some pretty decent cycle times with a 22gpm pump.

Finally found time to go measure this thing... hopefully I did it right.

L - 36"
W- 5 1/4" could be just 5
cylinder shaft looks to be 2"

This thing won't be going together real quick, so if their is something that needs to be changed please speak up.

I just bought the splitter (homemade) with the cylinder, but decided to change the pump/engine and all of the other goodies to try to update it.

I have the original torn down at the moment... cylinder is in the shop getting rebuilt and the new parts started arriving today, that would be the engine and tank.

I knew I should have taken before and after pics! Anyway, I will get a pic or two up with everything apart soon.

Thanks all for the replies.

I am finally back with a pic or two... this thing is taking me a little longer then what I thought. I went kind of crazy with the paint...better tan the rust it was wearing before lol.

FYI: not me in pics

mysplitter.jpg

mysplitter2.jpg

mysplitter3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no wrench, but you will have to remortage your house everytime to swap out that hydralic oil. It runs about $8 a gallon and you will need 12 gallons.

I don't know if 12 gallon will be enough. The book I have says you need the same capacity as your pumps gpm. I haven't played with this but I think it probably has to do w/cooling.
Looks sweet, if it's built like a tank you shouldn't have to do anything but preventative maintenance to keep it splittin for a long time.

That same volume as your pump size is crap! My northern takes 4 gallons and came with an 11 gpm pump. I just upgraded to an 16 gpm pump and it seems to work fine.

For wood splitters, if you can manage about half the oil volume of your pump GMP rating, you should be good. You have the advantage of a large tank to aid in cooling as well.

I run a large tank and only use about 5-6 gal. of oil with my 16 gpm pump. No problems in several years.

Your splitter is looking good . If the O.D. of the cylinder is 5" the bore will be 4.5 ". If you use all 3/4" pressure hoses and 1 1/4" return hose the tank capacity should be adequate. The catch tables will be more useful after the wedge than before .

Good deal, I was afraid I'd have to drop to a 11gpm pump since I can only hold 13 gallons of oil.

Your catch tables

Are on the wrong side of the wedge as some one above mentioned too..Other than that looks good to me..

i'd make the push plate bigger/wider, but looks solid otherwise.

don't let 'em bust your balls too bad about the hydraulic oil capacity. my smallest splitter holds 15 gallons and my big one holds 37, but it is definately expensive.

rules of thumb are just that.
Tank size is for storage, makeup of cylinder rod volume, letting go of air, cooling, and some settling time for water/dirt.
Realistically, water/dirt big enough to settle out is WAY too big, that is what a return filter is for.
If the tank is well baffled the air is controlled, and lines sized so you don't have much heat, you can be pretty small. 1/2 pump gpm is quite fine.
Need to watch the level, and make sure it isn't tilted on sloping ground, but if well designed you should be fine.

k

Latest posts

Back