Newbie Looking to Buy Bigger Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In The Weeds

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

For the past year I have been using a hand-me-down Jonsered 455. I love the saw and have gotten quite comfortable with it but it's most likely underpowered for a lot of the stuff I have doing with it. I have been clearing land for pasture and have felled several large oaks (up to at least 2 feet in diameter) and worked up a lot of 1'+ diameter stuff including hemlocks, beech, maple, etc. I really like the 455 for the stuff it can handle and find it very comfortable to work with at this point but when it comes to felling the larger trees and bucking them the little saw just can't handle it and I have been forced to look for a bigger saw. My neighbor has a good amount of chainsaw experience he gained while he lived in Alaska and swears by Stihl, recommending them to me. I tried his saw out (it's a mid range pro saw, don't remember model) and it definitely had the power to do what I need to do but I found it sort of uncomfortable. It was heavier, naturally, but that wasn't the issue, maybe it was from using the Jonsered all this time. Suffice it to say I am pretty sure I want to buy another Jonsered for comfort reasons. I am wondering how much power is "too much" for a semi-beginner. I am only 150lbs. but pretty fit from the stuff I have to do around my farm. I think I have it narrowed down to a 2165 or 2171. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Everyone,

For the past year I have been using a hand-me-down Jonsered 455. I love the saw and have gotten quite comfortable with it but it's most likely underpowered for a lot of the stuff I have doing with it. I have been clearing land for pasture and have felled several large oaks (up to at least 2 feet in diameter) and worked up a lot of 1'+ diameter stuff including hemlocks, beech, maple, etc. I really like the 455 for the stuff it can handle and find it very comfortable to work with at this point but when it comes to felling the larger trees and bucking them the little saw just can't handle it and I have been forced to look for a bigger saw. My neighbor has a good amount of chainsaw experience he gained while he lived in Alaska and swears by Stihl, recommending them to me. I tried his saw out (it's a mid range pro saw, don't remember model) and it definitely had the power to do what I need to do but I found it sort of uncomfortable. It was heavier, naturally, but that wasn't the issue, maybe it was from using the Jonsered all this time. Suffice it to say I am pretty sure I want to buy another Jonsered for comfort reasons. I am wondering how much power is "too much" for a semi-beginner. I am only 150lbs. but pretty fit from the stuff I have to do around my farm. I think I have it narrowed down to a 2165 or 2171. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

First, Welcome Weed.
Second, Get a MS441, and put what ever bar you want on it.
Third, Welcome Weed, now meet the rest of the #######s.
Jeff :msp_scared:

Tyvm Jeff :)
I started this thread again here, so it seems there is a duplicate. Can you combine them?
My mistake.

441 is a good saw
460 mag is a great saw
husqvarna 372xp is a good saw as well
and tho i havent run one, i hear very good things about dolmar 7900

I only have one thing to say and its from experience find a good servicing dealer and buy whatever brand they are peddling trust me you'll be a lot happier

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

jonsered makes a decent saw, if thats what youre comfortable running you may also like husqvarna, very similar saws, same parent company
something in the 70cc range is what you want for what youre cutting
go to shops and hold a few
i havent run a lot of larger echos, but i do climb with one, their consumer warranty is 5 years, might consider looking at those as well

Check out the husqvarna 570. I love mine with a 24 inch bar. It has good power, a 2 year warranty, and a better price then the XP saws. I run mine pretty regularly and it has been perfect.

Like NHtech said, Find a good dealer and buy what they sell. I have 2 dealers close to me that are both good. One sels Stihl and Jonsered and the other sells Dolmars. All 3 brands have excellent saws in the 70cc range which is what you should be looking at. My nearest Husqvarna is a Tractor Supply Co store, nuff said!

Find out the model of the stihl you used. Find out the specs on it and use that as a frame of reference. You are somewhere between a stihl 360 (362 is the current model) and a 44. If you are cutting mostly hardwood, I would lean toward a 44 (70 cc's). If weight is a big issue, Husky might be better for you, 562xp or 372.

I bought a husky 365 over ten years ago and use it every week. U do the math. it will run a 24 inch bar with no problems just gotta get those big dawg spurs and it will rock. Ken from NC

Dealer support is key

Most of the companies these make a good product, but if you can't find parts for it... I buy Stihls because the dealers in my area sell Stihls. One of my buddies swears by Huskies, they make great saws but to get parts you have to mail order them or drive 50 miles. As long you stay away from the homeowner saws, and it sounds like you are, you will be fine. Dolmar makes a great saw for the price, I almost bought a 7900. Also consider buying a used saw as long as there is dealer support for it. My old 066 Magnum is about as easy to get parts for as anything and was much cheaper than a new saw. Sorry if this is a little dis-jointed, my kid is playing Buzz Lightyear on the table.

Latest posts

Back