newbie miller with question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I decided to mill my own lumber for a garden expansion after I priced out white cedar. Got an alaskan small log mill to go with my MS261, and a Granberg ripping chain. 1st cedar log was 13" diameter, 8 feet long. I got 6 cuts and the chain was done. I ordered some Laser ripping chains, and debarked the next log. The saw felt like it was pulling itself through this time, and last cut was fast as first. I then really tested it out, made 2 cuts in a 15" 4 foot long burr oak log. Slower obviously but no problems, I think it will be ok to do more cedar.
The granberg cedar log wasnt debarked, the others were. Did this make the difference or are the chains different?

if the cedar bark was very dirty, it would have made a huge difference...basically like cutting through dirt and wood at the same time.

That being said, a lot has to do with the chain's cutting profile too. I would be that the Laser chains are a different grind angle than the Granberg, but I've never run them.

Where did you find them?

I can usually get 4-5 passes through an 8' x 20" locust or oak log before touching up the chain with my 372xpw and a 28" bar. I use Carlton ripping chain from a guy on Ebay.

cuz you guys love pics

1st time
cedar.jpg

the workshop
cedar2.jpg

geez this stuff is heavy
cedar002.jpg

if the cedar bark was very dirty, it would have made a huge difference...basically like cutting through dirt and wood at the same time.

That being said, a lot has to do with the chain's cutting profile too. I would be that the Laser chains are a different grind angle than the Granberg, but I've never run them.

Where did you find them?

I can usually get 4-5 passes through an 8' x 20" locust or oak log before touching up the chain with my 372xpw and a 28" bar. I use Carlton ripping chain from a guy on Ebay.

it was cut down in winter, only touched snow. They are at least 100yrs old though, so I guess that's alot of airborn dirt over time. There was no comparison between each chain's 1st cut though, the Laser rocked.
I got the Laser chain from CuttersChoice online.

Even if the logs haven't touched dirt, bark in standing trees- especially thicker bark, is full of dirt anyway. If you are running a full chisel style cutter they dont like dirt at all. On the plus side they cut fairly quick and smooth in cleanish timber. If you have plenty of power it will still pull a slightly dull chain without much trouble.

Nice work. Those are good logs, nice and strait. It's amazing how much dirt gets into the bark over the years. I find that ones by roads that get sanded down all winter long tend to be pretty dirty.

Last edited:
busy weekend

we recently had a 'tropical storm' move through the Ottawa Valley causing massive tree loss. I went through a nearby neighborhood and knocked on a few doors that had nice straight trees down. Offered to cut up logs and take them away for free. I really need to learn how to sharpen my chains myself now.
hemlock003.jpg

pile.jpg

The hemlocks are up to 2 feet diameter
hemlock002.jpg

the 261 is loving it! Got 30 boards ripped now. I also got a bunch of 12 footers I'm going to use for 4x4 posts.

Laser ripping chain is 20 for the cutters and 0 for the rakers with .010 difference between the rakers of each.

Where abouts in the Ottawa Valley are you?

Latest posts

Back