Newby here with some question on hauling firewood,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistaare

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off I would like to say this site is great. I have been hooked on it for the past week after I stumbled across it on accident.

For this winter I purchased a wood burning insert to help supplement my winter gas bill. Since then I have discovered a new 'season' - WOOD SEASON (as apposed to deer season, ski season etc). I will admit I am a total liteweight compared to 90+% of you guys on here but I am definitely hooked.

For the past two months whenever I get a free weekend I have been scrounging dead (barkless, or bark falling off when I split it). I have gather about 2.5-3 cords so far. I think that will get me through the winter BUT the question I have is about hauling since I am currently gathering for next year.

Haul vehicle - Tacoma double cab short bed w/cap (5ft bed) with new leaf spring in the back to handle hauling and towing (I have a 1500lb teardrop camper). It is equipted with the factory tow package and its rated for 6500lbs.

I am wondering what little utility trailer would be best or you guys would recommend. I am not looking to to get the biggest and push that 6500lb towing capacity, but rather get something smaller, durable that will not push the limits of my truck but be able to handle 2000-2500lbs without haveing to worry about it structurally.

I am looking at either 5x8's or 5x10's. Really leaning towards the 5x8 just because it will follow me on some pretty narrow dirt/fire roads.

Here is what I was thinking, and let me know how far 'off base' I am.

Bed of the truck = 1000 lbs
Trailer weight = 800-900 lbs
load of wood in trailer = 2000-2500 lbs

equals about 3500 lbs (I like to round up to be on the safe side)
Plus me, dogs, a helper add another 500 lbs

that would put me around 4000 lbs.

So here are my two pending questions:
1. When you are cutting and hauling and have to worry about weight limits, how do you know when your getting to you vehicle and/or trailers limits. I was thinking something like this 5X8 3K Utility Trailer by Carry On#::#5' Wide Trailers#::#Single Axle Scratch n Dent Specials#::#Scratch and Dent Trailers from Carry On#::#Trailers#::#Trailers for Sale: Equipment Trailers, Enclosed Trailers, Cargo Trailers & Utility Trailers. A 2400lb pay load, it doesnt say, but I would check to make sure it has 3500 lb axels. Let say, I put 2ft sides all around. If I loaded up to the top (not to the points where wood is rolling off the top) would that be 2000 lb? Would 4ft walls = 2000 lb's? Assuming that the wood on the 'green side', and a hard wood like Locus or Maple. I always error on the side of caution.

2. If any of you recommend a trailer manufacture.

Thanks in advance for any input!

:bowdown:

Used double axle. Size to fit your weight restrictions, and dont overload it, and run good load range tires on it.

As to estimating weight, up in the stickies, what does wood weigh, etc.

Ater awhile youll get good at guessing. It is REAL tempting to overload a truck or trailer, but not a good idea. When I am using a double axle trailer here, I will only put in around half of what it can actually hold, because..no brakes hooked up to it, tires are wuss and not heavy load rated,, and some of the private roads here are sorta rough. Pulling it with a tractor, but same theory applies to road trailers.

I am not big on small single axles trailers unless that is all you can tow haul or afford. One exception there would be a good shape army trailer, or a very well built home made one..

Theres a thread here on firewoodin with yotas.... here ya go

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/183689.htm

Zogger - thanks for the link. That will definitely be read this weekend :D

An army trailer would be nice, but they are few and far between around here.

I should've looked at the 'stickies'...:bang: After a quick search I figured out;

-If I loaded a the trailer with 1 3/4'x8'x5' with green Locus, that would be about .54 cord which would weigh in at 2800 pounds. To me, that is a good base line. I am still learning to ID trees, but I know most maples, oaks, poplars, and locus. Not saying I would load up a 2900 GVWR trailer with 2800 lbs, but I know what a trailer load of green locus/heavy hard wood would weigh. I would love a 5x8 that could with a 4500-5000 GVWR, I just like stuff over built! :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks!

I gutted an old pop up camper and will be using it for hauling wood this winter. I backed it up to my wood pile and started tossing in splits back in early november. I like to keep a cord or so stacked in the garage for nasty winter days when I don't feel like going to the wood pile. I tossed them in loose and filled it to the edge and it was right around a half cord of wood. Backed it in the garage and unloaded. Of course this was dry, seasoned wood and it was about all I wanted to haul with his rig. There was plenty of life left in the leaf springs but the tires aren't rated that high. I will use it to haul my tractor and wagon to the cut site and then fill the truck and trailer with wood. The tractor will stay on the site under a heavy tarp until I am finished.
View attachment 268946

I think with a tacoma sized truck you are best keeping the trailer load less than 3000lbs total weight. Figure a Tacoma weights around 3500. As far as a trailer goes a 5x8 or 5x10 would be a great option for a tacoma. With a mid sized truck an aluminum trailer helps to save some weight however, unless you can find one used the price could be a deal breaker. Keep an eye on C-list I picked up an sno-pro aluminum 4.5 x10 single place snowmobile trailer with a 2200lbs axle could years ago for 375 brand new. $60 worth of 5/4 pressure treated and it now has 2' side boards. It can haul 1/3 or a cord without much trouble.

If you're talking "legal", 1000lbs in the bed of your taco + cargo/gear + occupants in truck + pin weight of loaded trailer (weight pressing down on the tow ball), you're gonna be illegal, you're gonna have to put less weight in the bed of the truck if you wanna be legal.
You could also put the spring pack form an f550 on the taco if you want, but you still have the same axles, bearings, tires, etc.

If you loaded up that 5x8 with 4' sides (160cu ft) , with green hard wood, itd easily weigh 5k pounds.
There are single axle trailers out there with 5k lb axles, they just aren't very common.

Last edited:
No matter what trailer you end up with, I'd consider adding brakes and a brake controller for hauling wood. Common for utility trailers to sticker at 3000lbs here even though they have a 3500 axle...... just so they don't have to have brakes. Adding them to a 3500 axle is usually an easy bolt on affair.

I second the brakes comment. My preference is electric vs. "surge" brakes, although I really, really wish that they'd come out with electric disc brakes for trailers as the electric drum brakes can be a PITA once they start giving you troubles.

I look at the log chart and figure out weight that way. Another way would be to load the trailer with a known weight (max the trailer out). Measure distance from ground to a certain place on the trailer, both front and rear. Measure while you are loading and stop before you hit that measurement.

I second the brakes comment. My preference is electric vs. "surge" brakes, although I really, really wish that they'd come out with electric disc brakes for trailers as the electric drum brakes can be a PITA once they start giving you troubles.

I look at the log chart and figure out weight that way. Another way would be to load the trailer with a known weight (max the trailer out). Measure distance from ground to a certain place on the trailer, both front and rear. Measure while you are loading and stop before you hit that measurement.

Youre right about the disc brakes being nice but they sure do rust in a hurry on an axle that doesnt get used often,
(as the brake surface is exposed)

If you're talking "legal", 1000lbs in the bed of your taco + cargo/gear + occupants in truck + pin weight of loaded trailer (weight pressing down on the tow ball), you're gonna be illegal, you're gonna have to put less weight in the bed of the truck if you wanna be legal.
You could also put the spring pack form an f550 on the taco if you want, but you still have the same axles, bearings, tires, etc.

If you loaded up that 5x8 with 4' sides (160cu ft) , with green hard wood, itd easily weigh 5k pounds.
There are single axle trailers out there with 5k lb axles, they just aren't very common.

Thanks for your input banshee. I didn't even think about that. I already have heavier duty leaf springs. They handle 1000lbs like a champ compared to my old stock leafs with an AAL.

As far as being "legal" I think I'm still in factory limits?

'09 Tacoma
curb weight - 4130 lb
GVWR - 5450 lb
Payload - 1320 lb
Gross Combined weight rating with tow package - 11,100 lb

So Vehicle - 4130

That puts me around 8000 lbs.

As far as the trailer goes, I dug a little deeper and discovered:

"If I loaded a trailer with 1 3/4'x8'x5' with green Locus, that would be about .54 cord which would weigh in at 2800 pounds. To me, that is a good base line." Meaning that not every load is going to be locus or totally green. So if get a 5x8, put 2 ft walls on it and then judge accordingly with what I am loading.

I would love brakes. My 1500 lb teardrop has electric brakes and people think I am crazy for putting brakes on it, but I feel a lot more comfortable driving at highway speeds or coming down off of mountain passes. Do most/any manufacturers offer brake installs on heavier duty utility trailers?

Thanks for all the input guys. :blob2:

Pickup can pull lots more than it can carry

if you load a 1/2 cord of that hard wood you got over there I would consider that about it for a reasonable load on a Taco with a trailer.
The fella's are right, make sure you got decent load rating on the trailer tires.

I have massively overloaded trailers before, and if nobody is looking and writing tickets, I get away with it. Very slowly.

Good luck with your new venture!

if you load a 1/2 cord of that hard wood you got over there I would consider that about it for a reasonable load on a Taco with a trailer.
The fella's are right, make sure you got decent load rating on the trailer tires.

Good luck with your new venture!

I will be happy if I get a 1/2 cord at a time.

UGH, didnt even think about the tire.

THANKS! :D

I would love brakes. My 1500 lb teardrop has electric brakes and people think I am crazy for putting brakes on it, but I feel a lot more comfortable driving at highway speeds or coming down off of mountain passes. Do most/any manufacturers offer brake installs on heavier duty utility trailers?

Thanks for all the input guys. :blob2:

I think it is a State issue, but here a trailer 3001 lbs and over must have brakes. Frequently, the axle will have the flanges there, ready for you to bolt a backing plate to and add brakes.

Depending on how far you expect to ever haul a full load, I have a 5x8 single axle trailer I use. I can pull it into the woods I cut in with my garden tractor, or my latest addition, an ATV, load it and pull it to the driveway where I can switch to my 2010 Tacoma for delivery. I get a face cord of 16-18" Red Oak on it for an easy pull for delivery. I know it's limitations, I don't overload, and I never pull it far. I like it because it is a perfect size to double for a hauling the ATV or Tractor some place for service or when I am working at our church or a friends place. Roll the ATV off, re-hitch the trailer to it, and move mulch, brush, leaves, whatever.

269014d1356149128-trailer-jpg

269015d1356149132-home-jpg

View attachment 269014View attachment 269015

Last edited:
I have an aluminum bed Triton utility trailer. 81" wide, 12' long. It's rated for 3500# gross, and it weighs around 700# empty. It has electric brakes.

My bro-in-law has a 81" x 16' steel/wood bed trailer that has the same gross # rating and I can haul a LOT more stuff than he can because of the light weight of the aluminum trailer.

100_1370.jpg

Are you eligible for the Tacoma rear spring TSB? If you have the three leaf rear they'll swap it out for a four leaf...free.

TSB T-SB-0305-08 Revision 2 includes 2009 and 2010 - Tacoma World Forums

I had it before I replaced my rear leafs. It didn't do much. I now have dakar replacement leafs (OME Rear leaf spring 2005-2010 Tacoma**PRICED EACH** - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits)

I'm not trying to increase the load capacity, just trying to handle the load capacity its supposed to . :D

As far as being "legal" I think I'm still in factory limits?

'09 Tacoma
curb weight - 4130 lb
GVWR - 5450 lb
Payload - 1320 lb
Gross Combined weight rating with tow package - 11,100 lb

So Vehicle - 4130

That puts me around 8000 lbs.

You would be well under the gross combined weight rating of truck + trailer. However, using your own numbers, you would exceed the GVWR of the truck itself.

vehicle = 4130 lbs.
plus 1000 lbs. of wood in the truck bed
plus 500 lbs. for you,dogs, and helper
plus 350 lbs. on your tow hitch(10% of 3500 trailer weight on hitch)
This gives a total truck weight of 5980 lbs.
This exceeds your GVWR of 5450 lbs.
So you would be overweight on the truck itself by 530 lbs.

Back