Newest member to the family

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well it was a paid adoption but this is the newest member to the family. She needs a bit of attention since whoever had it before should NEVER work on a saw, heck use one for that matter. I'm pretty sure the chain was so dull it would have cut better if I turned it backwards.

I tore into it today and rebuilt the carb. I still need to get a cylinder/manifold gasket since the old one tore and a carb gasket as well. While I'm in there I'm just going to replace the seals and points, not sure if it needs the seals but in for a penny in for a pound.

It also needs a new fuel line/grommet and filter. I did get it to run when it showed up which surprised me just how much abuse these old saws can take.
newm.jpg

Cool stuff

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

At almost 41cc they are great little saws with a decomp! I have 2 super ez's and 1 ez. Very easy saw to work. Its got a bit of weight for its size too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The rubber fuel line grommets used on Stihl line trimmers should work as a replacement. That's what I used on one of my homelite saws.

Thanks, I ordered a couple of them to give it a try.

At almost 41cc they are great little saws with a decomp! I have 2 super ez's and 1 ez. Very easy saw to work. Its got a bit of weight for its size too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Marine-piper, on your SEZ what are you setting your rpm at? are you doing a traditional four stroke in the cut or are you setting them at a max rpm? I'm not finding the max rpm in the shop manual (maybe I just haven't read enough) browsing around I can't remember where I found it but I have seen anywhere from 7k to 9k max rpm.

Edit: Chainsaw collector forum is showing 10.5K to 11K max. no load.

Update: I still have to replace the carb. I cleaned and rebuilt the one that was on it twice but it still has issue's so I bought a used one and cleaned and rebuilt it today but haven't had time to get it installed

When I bought the saw it needed carb. fixed, fuel line/filter replaced, oil lines replaced, outer bar plate was missing, no air filter, starter rope and handle where toast and there was a few other things that needed attention.

Since tearing into the saw I have:
New air filter
New oil lines (both manual and auto oiler) and the oil inlet screen on the auto pick up tube.
New Rim/Drum and bearing
New Seals
New points and condenser
New chain
Replaced carb
Added Bucking spikes (Just in case I feel the need to down a Redwood tree).
Replaced front grip (old one had the rubber sliding around on it) so naturally it needed a full wrap (again just in case I felt the need to down a Redwood tree).
Replaced spark plug
Replaced all the isolation bushings in the front handle
Replaced the muffler cover (old one had the one with the flat cover and it was easy to bend in and block flow).
Replaced the bar nuts (someone had a standard nut on it that would have chewed into the cover).
Replaced front grip/top bracket (full wrap requires a different one).
Replaced starter rope and grip.
Replaced fuel and oil cap.

homie.jpg

Things I still plan to do to the saw:
I bought a 7 pin .325 rim and it fits the drum so I plan to see if Oregon makes a 8 pin .325 rim standard size and put it on with a Tsumara 18" bar with the narrow kerf design. With the bucking spikes I will only gain around 1 1/4" of additional bar but the .325 will more than offset the additional length, heck the thing is an animal even with full comp 3/8 chain.

Update: When I received the saw it had a empty fuel tank or the best I could see even with a light. I replaced the fuel line and filter as well as ultrasonic cleaning the carb and rebuilding it twice, then doing the same with the second carb I bought and the saw still not running right. Well I ended up taking the first carb and pressure testing it when the second one failed also (yes I always pressure test the carb when I rebuild them) and it passed so I removed the meter side cover and went to press the metering lever down to see the pressure release and nothing happened so I took a small screwdriver and pulled up on the metering valve and black fuel came flying out.

At this point trying to figure out what is going on I remove the fuel cap and pull the fuel line/filter out of the tank and the new filter is black so I turn the saw upside down and dump the fuel and it was black as well. Then I start feeling around in the tank and discover there is stuff in there so I start pulling it all out.

For some god only knows why reason someone had put what appeared to be a gasket in the fuel tank which had me worried that someone had split the case and didn't get the gasket right. Today I pressure tested the fuel tank and it is testing fine. I also replaced the fuel line and fuel filter as well as cleaned and rebuilt the carb again and hopefully I can find the time tonight to get the carb mounted and give the saw another try.

homie2.jpg

It's alive.

Ya, I know it's not much to cut but it's all I had lying around, hoping to get up into the mountains next weekend and get her set and running her best.

Next weekend I will have my .325 8 pin rim in and will order a 18" Tsumara lite .325/.050 bar for it, still trying to decide if I want to go narrow kerf or just regular .325. For now I do have a husky bar and chain that came off of a Husky 41 that will fit and work. The saw has the standard 16" Homelite .375/.050 bar and chain on it in the vid.

Latest posts

Back