NH Forestry student looking for info.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad, there's two different guys and I'm easily confused. I'll feel better tomorrow. Trees will move tomorrow. :clap:

No worries . I,ve been home sick today . Mean as a snake cause it snowed all yesterday and last night , and I,ve got wood orders to fill ....A day not in the woods is a day with no $ coming in :angry::stupid:

You learn to do it right , by being on a professional show .. Not some hillbilly spit hick ignoramous ,or prissy college boy wanna be outfit .......... I have seen a very few college boys who could work hard and actually get something accomplished with a saw ......They are always lazy wooises who want to migrate to ( management ) ............ Some of them actually excell at that and once in a while they are good at it and good to have there .... But there is almost nothing worse than some prik who learned it in school then wants to make the cuttin crew do it the way their instructor taught them ....You must not have followed the immense diatribe on here this summer from some college , fire line cutters and their Certifications ........ They don,t know ---- about gettin some wood on the ground .....
. There are a few execptions , like Burvol and Tarzan who started out cutting , But mostly the best fallers start out loggin ........
. It,s like if you want to fly a fighter jet , or tactical bomber . you still have to go to boot camp and do push ups and get screamed at first ......... Thats what settin chockers is , boot camp ...

Not the kinda guy I would expect to take a sick day.

OK, first of all I am not some kid who is in college and wants to make it in management. I have saw skills better than most. I know my way around equipment, I can climb well, I work in the elements and dont cry about it. I work hard for my money, and put in a honest days worth of work. I went back to school because work slowed down and took the chance to enhance my knowledge and be more desireable to a bigger company or hopefully run my own business. Just making this slow economy work in my favor. Thanks to the folks who gave me some tips.

Well , Thats good ....I just don,t see that there is much timber industry back east so I can,t figure out why someone would want to go to school there when there is no industry ....If you are already a good climber , then adding business skills to your ability is great .. But the fact is that by taking business you will move to management ....... No doubt that will keep money coming in when no one else has it coming in as far as the none educated guys on the crew........But college won,t help you put wood on the ground ..........
. If your so smart you should be able to word your query better...............
... Heres a ? , give an honest answer .. When you are climbing back there , How much a day do you make , /week/month . for how many hours and how much money outlay ....... How much do you hope to make by adding a degree ???
The problem with tree service businesses during a down economy is people pretty much figure their trees will grow , wether anyone trims them or not .......There is only so much people will pay for trees ,so to make alot of money you have to do ALOT of trees ..... I am just wondering what a tree service crew with a bucket truck ,chipper and climbing and ground crew make a day ?????

. I,m glad you are good with a saw , how many numbers you runnin a day ????

Well , Thats good ....I just don,t see that there is much timber industry back east so I can,t figure out why someone would want to go to school there when there is no industry ?

Now that's an excellent point.

Timber here is historically tied to pulp paper mfg. and construction.

The paper mills in the north country have been on a nose dive for decades, taking with them the market for low grade stuff.

And the sawmills just aren't buying. Hopefully there'll be an uptick in new housing starts. But that's to be foreseen.

With less demand for trees, there's less demand for foresters to help timberland owners manage their land.

With everything going green - and with NH being the second most forested state in the US - there's a glimmer of hope with biomass. Lots of trees that get chipped up here go to the power generating plants. There's also a big wood pellet company HQ'd in the Monadnock region in SW NH.

I am not taking business classes. I hope when I am all done with school the market for wood picks up and the logging crews are back in the woods, or to get in with a company that deals with private land owners who are looking to preserve their land. Something along those lines. Maybe things will change, I dont know. I enjoy the work, I enjoy learning about the work, the history of NH and New England logging. I would figure that people on here would have been more inclined to help a younger person out with an interest in the industry rather than pick apart why I am doing and what I am NOT going to gain out of it.

Oh , Man up , don,t stress about it .......... But I did (help) you ...... Here,s a straight up question , If I hired you to cut a strip next to me on a timber sale I bought . Would you put as much wood on the ground in a day , every day , and NOT get hurt . and not snivel and whine and be fun to have on the crew . ECT.ECT.
.That is what makes you employable and so someone wants to keep you around ...I recomend you take business courses ....... Won,t hurt .and you will learn more about the economics of running a company ....

I beleive I could put as much wood on the ground and if not close to it, safely. I enjoy the work and I dont ##### and moan about the cold, the snow, rain, a ####ty day....That is what i choose to do so why ##### about it, I could do something different if I wanted to. I already took business classes when I got out of high school, wasnt my thing, it was more corporate business stuff.

Sorry to see you getting roughed up Stihlman. Don't let them get to you.

To get work in the woods in my area, you just about have to have your own machine nowadays. It's an insurance thing. Nobody can afford workers comp insurance on a part time chopper no matter how good he is.

Latest posts

Back