No BS: Real-life encounters bear vs. saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know how many Grizzlies you have crossed paths with but most of those handgun calibers I quoted are more powerful than 30-06 rounds. (Buffoalo Bore ammunition) The 454 480 and 500 will drop the bear in his tracks!
Thats BS. Go look in a reloading manual for 30-06 energy numbers and you will find the are greater than even a 500 S&W using BB ammo. A handgun is a good way to piss off a bear, especially when you consider how most people shoot them.

bwalker said:
Thats BS. Go look in a reloading manual for 30-06 energy numbers and you will find the are greater than even a 500 S&W using BB ammo. A handgun is a good way to piss off a bear, especially when you consider how most people shoot them.

Numbers dont tell everything pal! Big, Heavy and Slow will rule over small light and fast ANY DAY ON ANYTHING with four or two legs. And yes it has alot more stopping power than a 30-06 in that regard. I will even give an example. I was out hunting wild pig when we came up on a bunch of pigs in my neighbors barley field. My buddy had a 30-06 1903 Springfield. I had a 1895 guide gun in 45-70 Government. 300 grain soft tip hollow point. My buddy was shooting the latest and greatest in Silver tip. We both hit our pigs behind the front shoulder almost the exact same spot. My pig took 2 or 3 steps then keeled over. His took off for the brush and got in. After an hour we went and found his pig dead. Blead out. But you could tell it died waiting to ambush what ever hit him. My buddy first thought he had a pour shot but nope it was a perfect shot. The bullet had passed all the way through and exited. My bullet 300 grain Federal sphp was found just under the skin on the other side of the shot. It had passed through 2 ribs (Broke them) Continued through and broke 1 or 2 more ribs before stopping on the inside of the hide. It had also retained about 90% of its weight and was the size of a quarter! That Federal 300 Grain sphp has less energy and velocity than a standard .44 mag. But in real life it was much better. Same as a 30-06 compared to those big and heavy slugs. Looking at ballistic tables dont tell you everything. Am I saying I would hunt deer or anything with a handgun over a rifle? NO! But try carrying a rifle while your cutting wood. Aint going to happen. A handgun is a good tool. And the right one will stop a bear. Thats all I am saying.

How much big game have you shot? I have shot well over 100 pigs(russian boars, not ferral) and have seen many hundred more shot with both pistols and rifles. Rifles almost always kill faster.

BTW the 45-70 guide gun is a great deer gun for my area, but they arent anything special power wise. A 300 magnum puts em down much better and I have shot deer and pigs with both.

You have completely missed my point. This is the same argument that has been around many a hunters camp fire. I'm not going to rehash this here on a chainsaw web site. Any large caliber magnum cartridge handgun will do the job. Has done the job and will continue to do the job. That was my point.

We generally pack pistol grip Winchester Defenders loaded with SSGs where I work,that's pretty much the standard bear gun. It's a major pain in the butt to carry a handgun in Canada. I do know guys that do with a free-miners certificate as a prospector. Either way the shotguns always seem to end up with the gas and lunches and somewhere on the other side of the bear.

Although I had a few bear encounters last summer in the Yukon and Northern B.C. the most noteworthy was in Faulkland B.C. near Kamloops.
I was on a forestry road that was basicly switchbacks all the way up a mountain.
I was on an ATV and I saw a black bear in a clearing below and just for the fun of it I rolled some boulders down the slope at him to see what he'd do since he noticed I was there. He kinda just ambled off so I sped down to see if I could head him off, but saw no sign of him and the trail went cold.
So I continued on my way down the mountian and immediately ran into a beautiful specimen of a cinamon bear a colour variation of a black bear right in the middle of the road no more than 75 ft. away. My first impulse was to turn around and beat it, but that would have required at least a 3 point turn.
He came towards me a few steps and I goosed the throttle and came towards him.
This standoff was repeated one more time before he bolted up the side of the mountain in a flash. They were two seperate bears and one may have been the mother and the other the cub. Often the mother is smaller than the cub just before it's ready to fend for itself. I never carry a gun, but I have a club I carry though for whatever good it will do.
Hahaha
John

I guess now that I think about it, I was technicaly stuck between two bears, but never thought about it till now. I rarely camp out in bear country anymore, prefering not to be a ziplock lunch for a bear while sleeping in a pup tent. lol
John

chances are very slim.................

that i will ever need a fire extinguisher.but i'll be ????ed if i'll go with out one.it just makes no sense to go in the wilderness with out a side arm.

hornett22 said:
350 gr cast lead.the others mentioned would work too.so your saying if i'm in downtown Hartford and Tyronne decides he's gonna carjack me,since i'm in his house i shouldn't defend myself?i call BS on that liberal crap.

What an encounter with Tyrone in downtown Hartford would have to do with a bear attack is anybody's guess.

:dizzy:

Gypo Logger said:
I doubt that any self respecting bear would come anywhere near a chainsaw anymore then they would run into a forest fire.
Unlless you were trying to ride one her cubs bareback, a chainsaw running full bore would simpling be too intimidating. Not because of it's cutting ability, but due to the high decibels.
I worked in Toba Inlet on the West Coast where Grizzlies were thicker then thieves and some of the loggers would not even shut their saw off they were so sh!t scared.
Ive had many encounters with bears wolves and even a cougar once, but never was charged, except once in a boat on a lake close to shore, but I think it was just a glorified bluff. Bears are opportunists and will rarely risk a confrontation unless provocated by iterference with young or a recent kill.
It's hard not to be scared, but bluff them out whenever possible. Using excessive force such as a gun is seldom required.
John

Wow a well though out interesting answer to all the macho bullchit flying around on this thread........:)

Latest posts

Back