No BS: Real-life encounters bear vs. saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you guys don't get it,i guess there is no sense in trying to explain it.someone earlier mentioned they don't think carrying a firearm i bear country.your on your own now.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Hunting is radically different than self defense. Apples & oranges.

Nice bear. :)
Im just pointing out what a 44 can do with a well placed shot and only one shot at that Some people are saying a 44 wont drop a bear very well

Me, I think it comitted suicide. It's obvious from the chunk of wood in its mouth that it had already braced to take your shot.

MacDaddy said:
Im just pointing out what a 44 can do with a well placed shot

No argument there. A .30-30 would work, too.

Defending yourself against a charging bear is a different ballgame. You are not likely going to get "a well placed shot" except by luck. Therefore, you need more power.

It's plenty for Tyrone, though. But I'm still trying to figure out how he got out into the woods dressed like a grizzly. :D

The wood is to keep the mouth open so its easier to have the taxidermist do his work Also for self defense its easier to run with a pistol and I have extra mags so I can shoot more

The problim with shooting a bear is that there fairly shock proff and a loss of blood pressure sets them into a sort of a hibernation, so with out a lot of time, any gun shot on a big grizzly will tend to just slow them up as the tissue damage renders portion of the bear usless to him, he dosant change his mind!
The FBI had done simular studies (from reports) of humans under the effects of PCP, the test was the basis a lot of law enforsment agencies switching to 14 shot stagger clip 9MM's from the traditional 6 shot wheel guns. Elmar Keith invented .44 Mag near the end of WWII with the same idea, massive damage!

When you think about you may be safer with a saw in bear country than with a gun.
Now bear with me as I try to explain.
Bears have excellent hearing and sense of smell, but have very poor vision, which is why they tend to stand on their hind legs to check out better what's going on.
Anyway, with a saw running the bear can readily detect the source of the noise, while a warning shot from a gun is anybodies guess as to which direction it's coming from, further confusing the bear, possibly even provocing an attack.
Check out this street gang.
John
YukonStreetGang.jpg

ShoerFast said:
T
The FBI had done simular studies (from reports) of humans under the effects of PCP, the test was the basis a lot of law enforsment agencies switching to 14 shot stagger clip 9MM's from the traditional 6 shot wheel guns. Elmar Keith invented .44 Mag near the end of WWII with the same idea, massive damage!

Too much mixed up misinformation to even TRY to correct it!

It's amazing how information gets warped..... :dizzy:

wow!!! chainsaws n bears!!! who da thunk it??

how bout some lions n tigers, oh my.

i love it!

my bear medicine, 300 win mag one shot dropped dead n his tracks.

whats best?? the debate goes on. anything is better than nothing.

good day

Blueridgemark
With relavence to defending yourself from a grizzly bear, may I post a comment?

If you would like? try these links if you would like to understand the reasing behind my post.
If I may, the grizzly bear has won The World's Most Dangerous Game!
Part of that comes from the fact that they just dont die, as there blood pressure drops, they drift in and out and many tales have been told how they can charge.
The first post is about wounding facters of projectiles! (based in part on the 1987 FBI reports) : http://www.thegunzone.com/quantico-wounding.htm
Here is a link with a real bear charge : http://www.udap.com/safety.htm

Elmer Keith grew up in grizzly country, not virginia, he was the Grandfather of the 44 mag. He was brought aboard Reminton to help find a milatary alternative to the 1911 .45 colt, something with a little more "umpth" Keith negotiated directly with Remington and Smith & Wesson http://users.adelphia.net/~rckullberg/elmer/elmer.htm and : http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1348897/posts

The chances of a grizzly attack, here in Colorado, very slim, its official, the grizzly is back, but rare. There are a lot of cat attacks, I have seen what they do to horses. The want to be prepared if anything would ever happen, huge!

seems kinda tame,maybe it's Bart doing a demo.as far as firepower,i doubt much is gonna work on short notice and a pissed off bear.still,i'll carry the sidearm,the spray,the saw,AND wear the bells.

When in bear country never travel alone. In fact always carry a few rocks with you just in case of a bear attack. If you throw the rocks at your partner the bear will know who's side you're on!
Hahaha
John

Owning a grenade of any sort would land you in deep poo-poo.

Bears are inquisitive and cover miles in their hunting radius. Bear behavior classes are the second coming of snake oil. Time of year is more important than color. This is November and any bear is eating anything they can get right now. It's a switch built into their genetics; fatten up and hybernate.

So Black bears are not to be trusted. More importantly a bears sense of smell is several times keener than any dogs. And a good dog is 20000 times keener than yours.

Grizzly have been known to run 100 yards with a heart-shot. Protecting yourself with a pistol puts you in your own killing radius because that Grizz will not stand there and take it. He might run. That's what frosts my shorts about bear encounter classes. A group of 6 of us were camping in the mountains in Pa. and we had a black bear stalk a guy and he barely made it back to the rest of us. This is messed up but; some time later he was trying to describe the feeling of running toward guns with a bear on is arse.

See, originally there was this survival glee about "how releived he felt ... the sudden wave of hope when he saw us all locked and loaded"...Now we make jokes about who would have killed him first - us or the bear.

Anyway, two people with chainsaws is better than a full-house and that's not just Pennsyltucky poker. All creatures respect the threat of a flanking maneuver and if your partner doesn't believe you, just remind him he's next if the bear gets you first. If you are in bear country, never pack a lunch and never work alone. Another good reason for a muffler mod I say.

Hi Kevin, here's a picture of good grizzly country near Kluane Lake Yukon Territory. I climbed up as far as I could above treeline to take this pic but saw no grizzlies, but lots of sign though.
John
grizzlycountry.jpg

As long as you have your trusty chainsaw by your side you shall come to no harm, exceprt saws don't cut thru clouds of mosquitoes very well.
John
Hahaha
trustychainsaw.jpg

Then there's the flare gun crowd. They are not considered fire arms.

I have spoken with more than a couple persons who carry a flare gun. (you could stamp H&K on a butter knife... anyway) The more you think about it the dumber that is. I don't know what these people think is going to happen. Bear bursts into flames and runs away to put himself out? And I guarantee you there are a couple people reading this that do carry them... not for signalling either though, they will do that.

My best case scenario;
*Mauled to death by angry smoldering bear.
It means you were actually lucky enough to hit something with that flare gun.

My worst case scenario;
* The shot zooms by the bear and performs to manufactured specification providing the prommissed fireball behind the bear. Congratulations you have just cornered your first Grizz - good luck with the forrest fire...

WESCOMAN said:
Well Blueridgemark,
I dont know how many Grizzlies you have crossed paths with but most of those handgun calibers I quoted are more powerful than 30-06 rounds. (Buffoalo Bore ammunition) The 454 480 and 500 will drop the bear in his tracks!

Shot placement to stop a human being is important enough. Shot placement to stop a charging full grown bear is imperative.

How many of us could say that if attacked by a bear while caught off-guard, we could draw and accurately place a round where it had to be. I would think that the chances would be slim....at best.

I would never assume that any firearm, regardless of caliber, would drop a large animal "in it's tracks." Too much room for human error.

Back