No BS: Real-life encounters bear vs. saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
canguy21 said:
A large bore handgun looks macho and sounds impressive but let's be realistic. How many of you have actually taken a bear down with one? It will buck so bad that it won't be of much use beyond 25 yards

Speak for yourself. I'm very good with large bore handguns (like, 45.-70 on a T/C Contender, or a .454 Casull in a Freedom Arms single action.) and I know plenty of people who are better than me. It's not about macho, it's about knowing how.

I can hit VERY well past 25 yards. Repeatedly.

Gypo Logger said:
I recall in the 70's when I used to hunt the big bears on the West Coast.
One morning I rolled out of my bunk as the rays of the rising sun filled my cabin thru the east window and when I was dressed i went to the front door and threw it opened for a good breath of fine salt air. My cabin stood on an island near the mainland in Glacier Bay. There were many salmon streams nearby and consequently a great number of salmon catching bears. As I stood in my door filling my lungs with the morning air, I noticed a monster bear, probably 14 feet long from tip to tip, approaching my cabin following the trail I used leading from the cabin to a lake where I always caught my fish for breakfast.
The bear was an elephant in size and was coming straight towards me. I reached around the door and took down my trusty buffalo gun which I had carried with me on the Plains and the Cassiar mining camps, examined it to see if it was ready for action and waited till the bear approached nearer so I would not have to carry his hide so far.
About fifty yards from the cabin the trail crossed a little rise of ground and when the bear reached that point he evidently saw the cabin for the first time. The bear's eyesight is not that sharp and this one showed his surprise at seeing the cabin and me standing in the doorway by stopping, raising his head, and opening his mouth.
Just at that moment I rested my gun against the left door jamb and fired. The bullet struck the bear along the top of his tongue and went thru him just below his backbone.
That bear was so quick at turning around that when the bullet had exited beneath his tail the bullet struck the door jamb within inches of my face.
I've always been thankful that the bear was just a fraction of a second slow in turning or else the bullet would have hit me in the eye for sure.
John

You worked at Cassiar eh? Been back lately, there's not much left. Awesome Country though!

I work on the BC-Alaska border and twice in the last two years I've had stare-downs with grizzlys. Once with my 288 Walker held wide open and the other time with another guy and me both had 288s screaming.
Anyone out there heard anything about fighting off a bear attack with a saw.
Even rural-myth perhaps.

This is the perfect place for a Mag rather than a XP!:chainsaw:

I work on the BC-Alaska border and twice in the last two years I've had stare-downs with grizzlys. Once with my 288 Walker held wide open and the other time with another guy and me both had 288s screaming. The main thing I thought about both times is- how much gas is in this thing?
Both times the bear stared for a while trying to gauge his adversary and then walked- not ran off.
Of course you might assume a saw would save you from a goring but I'm not really sure. One smack and it's over for ya.
Anyone out there heard anything about fighting off a bear attack with a saw.
Even rural-myth perhaps.

We've debated the saw vs. bear before-never done it. Stepped in a huge pile of bear poop(smelled terrible) on the hike out today, so maybe I'll have a story for you tomorow!

So would 16 rounds of 9mm be better or 10 rounds of .44 mag? All this arguing makes me wonder if I'm ready for sawing in the back country of central Indiana. Oh and I have to defend my self from the meth heads.

Last edited:
This coming from a guy who cuts Palm trees! Since you are in Austraila what would you do if you where somewhere up by Gator country and a big Croc came after you? Spray him with pepper spray? (WE know you wont have any gun since your Government doesnt trust you all with guns) Just for your knowledge Big Bears happen to like pepper spray. That is now a proven fact. It doesnt really bother them. As far as being in the bears house B.S.. Man is the king in the wilderness. Anywhere on Earth. God made us above the animals not the other way around. And as for shooting it with a pistol you bet. .44 Mag, 454 Casual, 480 Ruger, 500 S&W ect ect. Any of those top off with Buffalo Bore Ammunition and got one Dead bear. (Of course that is if you know how to use it)

Right on the money. This man knows of which he speaks.

So would 16 rounds of 9mm be better or 10 rounds of .44 mag? All this arguing makes me wonder if I'm ready for sawing in the back country of central Indiana.

Bears take one he11 of a lot to change there mind. If a 9mm did a number like a pea in a whistle inside there brain bucket,I think you will earn there respect?

Recommended Grizzly Bear back-up for guiding or standing bear guard is a 12Ga. slug ~ buckshot ~ slug, repeat.

A good friend of mine is up guiding for Smoky Don Duncan in Alaska right now, he is carrying the new Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .416 Ruger,

If there is a trend, it's to hit them hard, it would be read interesting what a spinning chainsaw blade would do?

I don't know much about chainsaws yet , but i have seen guys who can barely lift their arms, or who's hands clamp shut after a hard day with chainsawing; imagine these considerable physical impairments combined with the horror and stress of being confronted by a wild animal

As Blueridge and pwoozel point out, its one thing to have a gun, it is another to have the skill and discipline to hold your saw in one hand, unholster a side arm with another, aim it at a charging bear and burn him down. How someone could have the time to put a saw down, pick up a long gun, point it at the bear and discharge- is beyond my imagination

Long or hand gun I would say that a very quick and experienced shooter, who was not fatigued from heavy work and was conspicuously cool under pressure, would consider himself darn lucky to survive angry Yogi.

IMO there is no caliber, magic wand or other Bear panacea that will keep you completely out of harms way when your attention is devoted to the safe operation of your saw. One would probably have just as good (albiet slim) chance of successfully defending oneself with the saw that is already in hand rather than with a gun that was not. Accidental death and injury insurance, and heartfelt prayer,are likely the best back up plans

Like the dog in the tent story. Did no one think of the obvious solution? Throw the dog at the bear, bear is fed, no more whining in the tent.

Last edited:
I did some camping and fishing in Bear country over the weekend. The State provides These steel "Bear Boxes" to put your food and "smellables" in.......

attachment.php

attachment.php

Didn't you mean bare encounters John?

Gary
That's what I meant Gary. Here ya go.
John

The Three Bares

Ma tried to wash her garden slacks but couldn't get 'em clean
And so she thought she'd soak 'em in a bucket o' benzine.
It worked all right. She wrung 'em out then wondered what she'd do
With all that bucket load of high explosive residue.
She knew that it was dangerous to scatter it around,
For Grandpa liked to throw his lighted matches on the ground.
Somehow she didn't dare to pour it down the kitchen sink,
And what the heck to do with it, poor Ma jest couldn't think.

Then Nature seemed to give the clue, as down the garden lot
She spied the edifice that graced a solitary spot,
Their Palace of Necessity, the family joy and pride,
Enshrined in morning-glory vine, with graded seats inside;
Jest like that cabin Goldylocks found occupied by three,
But in this case B-E-A-R was spelt B-A-R-E----
A tiny seat for Baby Bare, a medium for Ma,
A full-sized section sacred to the Bare of Grandpapa.

Well, Ma was mighty glad to get that worry off her mind,
And hefting up the bucket so combustibly inclined,
She hurried down the garden to that refuge so discreet,
And dumped the liquid menace safely through the centre seat.

Next morning old Grandpa arose; he made a hearty meal,
And sniffed the air and said: `By Gosh! how full of beans I feel.
Darned if I ain't as fresh as paint; my joy will be complete
With jest a quiet session on the usual morning seat;
To smoke me pipe an' meditate, an' maybe write a pome,
For that's the time when bits o' rhyme gits jiggin' in me dome.'

He sat down on that special seat slicked shiny by his age,
And looking like Walt Whitman, jest a silver-whiskered sage,
He filled his corn-cob to the brim and tapped it snugly down,
And chuckled: `Of a perfect day I reckon this the crown.'
He lit the weed, it soothed his need, it was so soft and sweet:
And then he dropped the lighted match clean through the middle seat.

His little grand-child Rosyleen cried from the kichen door:
`Oh, Ma, come quick; there's sompin wrong; I heared a dreffel roar;
Oh, Ma, I see a sheet of flame; it's rising high and higher...
Oh, Mummy dear, I sadly fear our comfort-cot's caught fire.'

Poor Ma was thrilled with horror at them words o' Rosyleen.
She thought of Grandpa's matches and that bucket of benzine;
So down the garden geared on high, she ran with all her power,
For regular was Grandpa, and she knew it was his hour.
Then graspin' gaspin' Rosyleen she peered into the fire,
A roarin' soarin' furnace now, perchance old Grandpa's pyre....

But as them twain expressed their pain they heard a hearty cheer----
Behold the old rapscallion squattinn' in the duck pond near,
His silver whiskers singed away, a gosh-almighty wreck,
Wi' half a yard o' toilet seat entwined about his neck....

He cried: `Say, folks, oh, did ye hear the big blow-out I made?
It scared me stiff - I hope you-uns was not too much afraid?
But now I best be crawlin' out o' this dog-gasted wet....
For what I aim to figger out is----WHAT THE HECK I ET?'

--- Robert Service

Last edited:
true story

I used to work as a black bear hunting guide years ago. I acquired a bit of a reputation because of my technique. I’d go out with my trusty Alaskan Malamute Magnus and scout the forest in search of our prey. This one particular instance I was guiding two hunters who each had a bear tag. Once the bear was spotted, Magnus would charge the bear forcing it up a tree. Invariably the bear would be so frightened he would not be able to stay in the tree long and would fall on his back. Magnus would bite him in the nuts, the bear would sit up only to have his head caved in by my Louisville slugger. Needless to say the hunters were quite impressed and were looking forward to seeing this spectacle again. We spotted another bear, Magnus charged, the bear went up the tree. This bear, however was not coming down. I got to the base of the tree, Magnus is going crazy, I shake the tree, nothing. I hand one of the hunters my bat and tell him I’m going up the tree to knock the bear out. When the bear falls, Magnus will bite his balls and you be ready to smash the bears head in with the bat. If I fall out of the tree, smash Magnus in the head with the bat…..

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I used to work as a black bear hunting guide years ago. I acquired a bit of a reputation because of my technique. I’d go out with my trusty Alaskan Malamute Magnus and scout the forest in search of our prey. This one particular instance I was guiding two hunters who each had a bear tag. Once the bear was spotted, Magnus would charge the bear forcing it up a tree. Invariably the bear would be so frightened he would not be able to stay in the tree long and would fall on his back. Magnus would bite him in the nuts, the bear would sit up only to have his head caved in by my Louisville slugger. Needless to say the hunters were quite impressed and were looking forward to seeing this spectacle again. We spotted another bear, Magnus charged, the bear went up the tree. This bear, however was not coming down. I got to the base of the tree, Magnus is going crazy, I shake the tree, nothing. I hand one of the hunters my bat and tell him I’m going up the tree to knock the bear out. When the bear falls, Magnus will bite his balls and you be ready to smash the bears head in with the bat. If I fall out of the tree, smash Magnus in the head with the bat…..

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

This is almost completely true, except that was no dog; sometimes I go by Magnus:drool:

Latest posts

Back