No BS: Real-life encounters bear vs. saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is a good read. As bad as the .44 magnum is when shooting a person, I would say it would be a pea shooter compared to the size of a full grown grizzle bear. Just looking at the picture in the beginning of the thread that shows the size of the paw, I would say you would need at least a 300 Rem ultra mag. to bring one down in an affective time frame. For a pistol I would go with a .460 smith. If you were to use a chainsaw or a 9mm for self defense I would say an obituary would tell the tell of how affective they where.

Just came across this thread and read all the posts. I just made a considerable journey through the Alaska and Yukon Territories and had more than a couple encounters with black and Grizzly bears, have the picts to prove it. Got quite close to the grizzlies but they were catching salmon in the creeks and couldn`t have cared less about me being there. After a few days of stopping and taking picts of bears in the rivers and creeks I got a little too bold and a little careless, spotted a grizzly in a creek about a 100 ft away and stopped the van, jumped out and did a quick sneak up to get that better shot, the grass was about 3-4 ft tall along the river bank and there was a spot where U notch would give me a clear shot of the river so I headed straight for it in my hurry to get a great picture. Almost s-it my pants when I was not more than 10 ft. from the part in the grass a big brown bear with a 3 ft. salmon in its mouth magically appeared , it was coming up the river bank and heading into some low bushy spruce trees, it only paused a second and continued on its course, I froze until I could only see its rear end in the trees, then slowly backed away to the van.
I did not have a gun with me and doubt that I would have time enough to drop the camera and get a gun out,ready it, aim and discharge a well aimed shot if the bear had decided to charge me. I gained a hell of a lot of lot respect real fast right there and then, I already knew better but just got reckless, I had observed and taken picts of 8 bears before this encounter and they had stayed put, fishing and eating their catch at a distance. The bear I had spotted was still in the river, it was the unseen bear that came up the river bank and I had a close encounter with, luckily I was not right in his path or travel way and I guess it did not take me as a threat to its safety or taking its meal away.
Later that evening I got to see 2 bears fighting and chasing each other around in a creek, there were hundreds of Chum salmon spawning there and the bears were running up and down the creek with fish racing away from them in all directions, each time they would meet they would growl and hiss at each other and once they actually banged into each other , then each gave a swat at the other but it did not get too serious. More than enough food to go around so I guess they were not too concerned with territory.
I just would not want to meet any of them if they were in a foul mood or hungry and I was not packing one of my favorite long guns, loaded, chambered and the safety set.
Pioneerguy600

Glad to hear the missing hockey legend was found, can`t remember just when I heard about him going missing but I had just passed through this region and could see how it would be easy to get lost or hurt out there.
Pioneerguy600

Loaded some picts of the bears I came across on this trip. The first couple are young grizzlies, I think, they are catching salmon in a creek.

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

Pioneerguy600

So would 16 rounds of 9mm be better or 10 rounds of .44 mag? All this arguing makes me wonder if I'm ready for sawing in the back country of central Indiana. Oh and I have to defend my self from the meth heads.

go big for the meth heads, the muzzle blast of a .454 casull or a .470 linebaugh will settle them all down a notch or two.

go big for the meth heads, the muzzle blast of a .454 casull or a .470 linebaugh will settle them all down a notch or two.

The big bears are in Canada where you can't hunt with or carry a handgun. Besides, real bear guides wouldn't mess with handguns anyways; they pack real rifles. and 30 cal anything ain't a real rifle when it comes to big bears

A friend of mine wants to hunt with a bow...

I told him he is just plain nuts...I also told him let me know when he does go so I can look in the news paper,,,bear dies of direaha frm eating Ky man.... :laugh:

The big bears are in Canada where you can't hunt with or carry a handgun. Besides, real bear guides wouldn't mess with handguns anyways; they pack real rifles. and 30 cal anything ain't a real rifle when it comes to big bears

thoes .30 calibers are fine and dandy but they are fast & make small holes.

a 500 grain .470 bullet on the other hand goes slow and makes a BIG hole.

I dont step foot into big bear country without the family "bear buster": A CZ 550 custom in 505 gibbs loaded with 700 grain hawk bullets at 2200 feet per second. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, if it hits a bear it will be screwed up for sure. That what I call a STOPPING round, not just a killing round.

if you place your shots well you can take a girzzly down with a .223, many people hunt them with AR-15s let me dig up a pic.

I've often wondered why Canadians can't carry a pistol, with all that open country?

Bad idea, bad advice, and not even legal in some areas for deer size game.

well that might be your opinion, but in a self defence situation a AR is more than adequite to take a bear down, seen it happen, and it might be illegal in some places, but not all my friend, dont tell me it wont work untill you try it and it dosnt, I have seen it with my own eyes pal.

Maybe?

You think that is where he will 'dig' the pictures from?

So let me get this straight.... If I find a picture of a dead bear shot by an AR on the internet than that somehow lessens the credibility that an AR will kill a bear? why is that.

Latest posts

Back