No BS: Real-life encounters bear vs. saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well that might be your opinion, but in a self defence situation a AR is more than adequite to take a bear down, seen it happen, and it might be illegal in some places, but not all my friend, dont tell me it wont work untill you try it and it dosnt, I have seen it with my own eyes pal.

Just gotta call BS on this one, as it is just not good advice!

Pictures?

I have never guided a Brown Bear hunt, but have a good friend that dose, he picked up this rifle in a .416 Ruger last summer.

7130.jpg

Thousand dollar rifle, $200.00 for a box of bullets, but I will call it a bear gun with 5000foot/pounds of energy at the muzzle. 12Gauge with slugs is way higher on my list then a .22 anything.

I think I'd just as soon have a big saw with a long bar as a .22 if I were dealing with an angry bear. :chainsaw:

So let me get this straight.... If I find a picture of a dead bear shot by an AR on the internet than that somehow lessens the credibility that an AR will kill a bear? why is that.

No, it more so proves my point, it's not a good idea.

Sure an AR could kill a bear, but a charging grizzly bear, or Brown Bear might just be using you boot-laces to floss his teeth.

I carry my Big SMITH 460 in the adirondacks. not that i am that worried about being attacked by a bear up there. i big bore pistol is imho the best defense for a charging bear. big rifles are great but anything with a scope is not easy to pull up and find your target in a hurry. I would take any gun over nothing.

DSC02204.jpg

Will someone rep fatguy for me...I nearly pissed myself. I like to bowhunt but think fatguy's hunting technique would be preferred over my bow.

I've often wondered why Canadians can't carry a pistol, with all that open country?

Carry one.. can not even take it outside of your home.. even in a locked case.
Exceptions:

can carry to a range if you are a member, and are taking the most direct route.. and then have to take it back home.

can carry to an alternate range for something like a vacation or competitive shoot - but need to notify police beforehand and get official approval.

Now the Liberal Govt is trying to get legislation through to ban or restrict semi-auto weapons (of any kind). Which is why nobody I know is buying any semi-auto hunting rifles at the moment. Liberal's are not in power at moment, but it is on their agenda and will eventually be tabled.

I think I'd just as soon have a big saw with a long bar as a .22 if I were dealing with an angry bear. :chainsaw:

That might be true, but anything as big or bigger than a .308 would do the trick.. in fact a .303 British works as well. My dad took down several bears with a .303. And polar bears have been taken with .308's (likely .303 as well but I am not aware of any).

That might be true, but anything as big or bigger than a .308 would do the trick.. in fact a .303 British works as well. My dad took down several bears with a .303. And polar bears have been taken with .308's (likely .303 as well but I am not aware of any).

Apparently a lot of folks have a really, REALLY hard time understanding the difference between killing a bear in hunting, and stopping a charging bear.

Dunno why, but I guess that's the way it is. :monkey:

Just gotta call BS on this one, as it is just not good advice!

Pictures?

I have never guided a Brown Bear hunt, but have a good friend that dose, he picked up this rifle in a .416 Ruger last summer.

7130.jpg

Thousand dollar rifle, $200.00 for a box of bullets, but I will call it a bear gun with 5000foot/pounds of energy at the muzzle. 12Gauge with slugs is way higher on my list then a .22 anything.

Not sure you need 5000 ft/lbs of energy. My dad took a Grizzly years ago with a .308 and one of my fellow hunters took one more recently with a 30-06.

If you want to be sure you kill it then why settle for anything less than the .577 Tyrannosaur - this was built to stop a charging Rhino in its tracks (or a bull elephant for that matter). God help the person pulling the trigger.. it shoots somewhere around 750-800 grain bullet at close to 3000fps. It has around 10,000 ft lbs energy at muzzle I think.

Realistically the .300 Win Mag is more than enough, if you don't think so look into a .375H&H (one of my fellow hunters just bought one for moose hunting - pity the poor moose). Or even the .458 Win Mag.

The biggest gun I own is the 30-06 Husqvarna, and think it would suffice if necessary.

Did some browsing and found this:

Grizzly, Brown, and Polar bears

On the North American continent, where I live, dangerous game is rather thin on the ground. Most species live in places far removed from major metropolitan areas. This is particularly true of the most glamorous species, the great bears: grizzly, brown, and polar. They are hunted primarily in Canada and Alaska, although relatively small populations of grizzly bears can be found in some of the Western United States. Adding to the difficulty of the hunt is the fact that the great bears are protected in many areas. I believe that polar bears are protected almost everywhere.

These great bears are the largest predators on earth, the top of the food chain wherever they live, and belligerent by nature. They have fair eyesight and excellent hearing and sense of smell. They are armed with fearsome fangs, huge claws and are immensely strong. They can move silently in thick country and yet easily outrun a man. Adults are generally too large to climb trees. They must never be taken lightly and should not be approached except under favorable conditions.

Polar bears are denizens of the far north. Their normal prey is seals and (in the appropriate season) bird's eggs and fledglings, but they will kill and eat pretty much anything they can stalk and catch, including people. They are strong swimmers, seemingly immune to Arctic water temperatures. The great white bears are unchallenged in the wastelands they inhabit, and so are generally afraid of nothing.

An average male polar bear will scale about 900 pounds, a very large specimen1100 pounds, and an exceptional individual can grow to 1550 pounds. Even females, which are generally smaller than males, have been known to weigh as much as 900 pounds.

Grizzly and Brown bears are actually the same species. The division is geographical, not genetic. On the coast they are brown bears, and inland they are grizzly bears. Abundant forage, particularly the great Alaskan salmon runs, provide the opportunity for the coastal brown bears to attain prodigious size. An adult grizzly might attain a weight of 700 pounds (400 pounds for a female). A very large brown bear might weigh 1000 pounds, and an exceptional example can scale 1600+ pounds. That is bigger than most buffalo, which in prehistoric times were preyed upon by grizzly bears.

Both grizzly and brown bears are temperamental, ferocious, and can be very unpredictable. They are also intelligent and curious. Do not underestimate these creatures. It is recommended that non-residents hunt with an experienced guide.

Use plenty of rifle when hunting any of the great bears. About 3000 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy (ME) or more is suggested. The various 7mm Magnums and the .30-06 with heavy bullets of high sectional density (SD) are the minimum recommended calibers. Better are numbers such as the .338-06, .35 Whelen, .405 Winchester, .450 Marlin, .45-70 (with heavy loads) and the various .300 and 8mm belted magnums. Powerful medium bores including the .338 Winchester Magnum, .340 Weatherby Magnum, .350 Remington Magnum, .358 Norma Magnum, 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 9.3x74, and .375 H&H Magnum are ideal. I have read that the most popular caliber used by Alaskan guides to "back-up" their clients is the .338 Win. Mag.

salmon runs, provide the opportunity for the coastal brown bears to attain prodigious size. An adult grizzly might attain a weight of 700 pounds (400 pounds for a female). A very large brown bear might weigh 1000 pounds, and an exceptional example can scale 1600+ pounds.

At 1600 lbs it would be a frightening animal!! That is more than a bull moose.. Obviously rare at that size.. but knowing they can grow to well over 1/2 a ton is something to think about.

Back to my question, how does a liberal goverment get the power in such a wilderness and why do they care?

Don't Canadians sympathasize with those others in the wild?

If you want to be sure you kill it then why settle for anything less than the .577 Tyrannosaur - this was built to stop a charging Rhino in its tracks (or a bull elephant for that matter). God help the person pulling the trigger.. it shoots somewhere around 750-800 grain bullet at close to 3000fps. It has around 10,000 ft lbs energy at muzzle I think.

I've heard of the .577, did a quick search & found this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KPgiQbr658k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KPgiQbr658k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He looks like a good sized fella too, lulz.

Yea, that suckah kick like a mule....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7y7KjanpWOk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7y7KjanpWOk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Apparently a lot of folks have a really, REALLY hard time understanding the difference between killing a bear in hunting, and stopping a charging bear.

Dunno why, but I guess that's the way it is. :monkey:

Our ancestors did it by planting the butt of a spear in the dirt and let the bear stick it's self. Not sure an outfitter today could get insurance on that?

A scenario I don't like with a chainsaw, would be the bear slapping the gnashing bar/chain sideways out of the way, still locked on with eye contact.

Use plenty of rifle when hunting any of the great bears. About 3000 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy (ME) or more is suggested. The various 7mm Magnums and the .30-06 with heavy bullets of high sectional density (SD) are the minimum recommended calibers. Better are numbers such as the .338-06, .35 Whelen, .405 Winchester, .450 Marlin, .45-70 (with heavy loads) and the various .300 and 8mm belted magnums. Powerful medium bores including the .338 Winchester Magnum, .340 Weatherby Magnum, .350 Remington Magnum, .358 Norma Magnum, 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 9.3x74, and .375 H&H Magnum are ideal. I have read that the most popular caliber used by Alaskan guides to "back-up" their clients is the .338 Win. Mag.

Good dig TreeClimber57

That back-up gun gets the job of checking if the bear is dead.

Word is that when a bear looses blood pressure, they go into somewhat of a hibernation, not a shock like other animals. The problem is that they can snap out of that hibernation with the right amount of stimulus, like someone standing over them with say a .223 ! Grizzly and Brown bears are not .223 territory when they charge. This clip might show that the lever of danger and amount of gun needed?

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/7fd_1225037306"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/7fd_1225037306" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Not sure you need 5000 ft/lbs of energy. My dad took a Grizzly years ago with a .308 and one of my fellow hunters took one more recently with a 30-06.

Realistically the .300 Win Mag is more than enough, if you don't think so look into a .375H&H (one of my fellow hunters just bought one for moose hunting - pity the poor moose). Or even the .458 Win Mag.

The biggest gun I own is the 30-06 Husqvarna, and think it would suffice if necessary.

A sore shoulder is a lot better than camping in Yogi's tummy. :)

If you guys remember Newtons third law then what you feel on the butt of that gun is what that bear is going to feel when it gets hit. With that in mind I'd be in good hands with that .577. :D

Back to my question, how does a liberal goverment get the power in such a wilderness and why do they care?

Don't Canadians sympathasize with those others in the wild?

Hmm.. good question.

a) Frankly we don't pay our politicians enough, so anybody worth their salt gets employed in the corporate world. Hate to see good tax dollars paying politicians, but reality is if you don't make it worth while then good men will go elsewhere.
b) Our system is based upon that of the British.. suppose it has its good points but also has its faults. Frankly more faults than good.. as unless there is a majority government in power nothing useful ever gets accomplished.

Yea, that suckah kick like a mule....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7y7KjanpWOk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7y7KjanpWOk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LOL.. not sure which end of gun is safer.

Back