no love for echo 550P strato?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd548esco72

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
any one running the echo 550p strato saw?

supposed to be a pro saw, strato 55cc and a bit portly -- are they a dud ? got cooties? -- never hear about um for some reason--

anybody got one that loves or hates the the little strato echo??

I have one.....it's NOT little. The problem with this saw is its pretty much the size of a 70cc saw with a 55cc displacement. Their build well and run well but just too big and heavy for the power they produce. I have many good pro saws in 50cc/60cc/70cc and 80cc that are lighter with way more power so finding a reason to use the 550p is difficult. Get a 590/620 'if' you want one. Even the 590 or 600/620 is only truthfully sold due to their value for money. You will read many folks start off their praise on these saws as....'for the money, these saws a hare to beat'. Not 'compared to competition, these saws are better'. The diehards will be upset by my statement but its based on truth, I don't care what badge is on a saw, just what they offer to a daily user.

back before christmas there was quite a few deals going around on the cs-620p-- i wish i had bought one of them then--

been seeing a few 550s on flea bay new for $300 --that why i'm asking about um--

i have had a 590 since what 2012 ish so far its is still running like new --er better than new since to a muffler mod--

i may pick up a dolmar/makita 6100 or 5100 since i'm seeing a few deals on those right now--

timberwo;f is the best all around saw deal i suspect---

It's a shame some manufacturers can't manage to design a strato without making it fat and heavy. Look at the first one for inspiration - the GZ4000 is neither fat or heavy.

Kinda sad when you can't even copy something and get it right!

I have never picked up a 550P. I do find it strange that the 450P is light, nimble and a joy to use and adding 10cc has made it something no one wants.;)

i've got a 450P and a cs-530P -- their not strato-charged the way the 550p is-- the 550 is as big and heavy as a 590 -- i wouldn't mind that BUT i wouldn't want it to weigh that much and be weaker than a 590 --and i suspect that is the case--

with new in box timberwolves going for $360 sometimes it don't seem with it to bother with the 550p.

the little cs-450P is a running little devil-- after i tuned up mine it will bury a 16" in oak--

i'm looking hard at that marymucka mcv-51 (dolmar 5100) on amapuke-zon for $329 -- a hell of a deal, too bad they don't have a 6100 version for about $400--lol

maybe i can find a deal on a makita 6100 for a bit more somewhere -- a 6100 or cs-620p are more my speed --but more $$$ too--lol

The 550p is pro construction, I'm pretty sure it the same saw chassis as the 590 just smaller cylinder. They are a lot of saw for $300 new for a firewood guy, that's what I paid for mine. Here in Oz there sold for $990aud in echo's pro range. Loggers and tree service guys at the end of the day want high power to weight ratio saws. Other than the 620p & some of echo's latest top handles, not many of their saws are popular for this reason. Price is pretty much how they penetrate the market as their saws are decently built and for their MSRP look good.

The 550p is pro construction, I'm pretty sure it the same saw chassis as the 590 just smaller cylinder. They are a lot of saw for $300 new for a firewood guy, that's what I paid for mine. Here in Oz there sold for $990aud in echo's pro range. Loggers and tree service guys at the end of the day want high power to weight ratio saws. Other than the 620p & some of echo's latest top handles, not many of their saws are popular for this reason. Price is pretty much how they penetrate the market as their saws are decently built and for their MSRP look good.

interesting-- if i hadn't just bought that 6100P i might still be in the market-- they do seem to sell for very reasonable $$$ new in the box--

i suspect they would hold up well being so over built for a 50cc--

wonder if a 620p jug would fit??--lol

any one running the echo 550p strato saw?

supposed to be a pro saw, strato 55cc and a bit portly -- are they a dud ? got cooties? -- never hear about um for some reason--

anybody got one that loves or hates the the little strato echo??

First, that model is grossly overweight/over bulky for the power output, and a cat will further degrade performance.

Second, it is far from a pro model despite a metal crankcase, because of the above + a little more - regardless what Echo states. The only real pro class model in that "model family" is the 620.

First, that model is grossly overweight/over bulky for the power output, and a cat will further degrade performance.

Second, it is far from a pro model despite a metal crankcase, because of the above + a little more - regardless what Echo states. The only real pro class model in that "model family" is the 620.

and you would trade it in on a rancher??--LOL

Its similar weight and size to my 681 (81cc) Solo. I have ported MS261, 6400, stock 555 husky, stock 550xp. These saws either have a boatload more power or are much small & lighter. Its really hard to choose to take to work the Echo 550p for these reasons. But sometimes when I am bucking logs in my backyard I'll give it a run & its smooth and pleasant to use. Just don't cut the mustard surrounded by other pro saws. But for $300 bux, you could buy far worse saws if you looked hard enough.

Has anyone muff modded a550p, most Echo models make huge gains. Steve
I like strato and was interested in this saw, but it sounds like it's at a significant displacement disadvantage given the size/weight of the chassis, so a muffler mod might not be enough. I wonder why they did that, as they have other lighter chassis?

Latest posts

Back