No more chainsaws, chains, or bar oil for me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a 50cc saw is all you need . 026 ,260 ,350,346 saws are plentyfull and cheap plus you have us here to supply you with new or used parts.

My sister had a bright idea of building a house near me when the property went up for sale. But some jack ### brother bought it. Note the word had!:laugh:

I didn't want people I didn't know and surely not some I did.

I cut Juniper (soft wood) biggest diameter is 18". Average is probably under 12".

Would love to cut Oak but it's too far to drive and too hard to find (and heavy).

The Homelite 4620 I have is about the perfect weight for me to handle, and it has a 20" bar, but being a cheap Chinese saw, with a .325 chain, it doesn't really do all that well except for limbs and small diameter trunks. Even with a nice sharp chain it cuts slow and I end up with a screaming back from being hunched over handling the saw. And I don't expect it will hold up to much use, bought it new, cut a few limbs and it's been sitting two years. When I was still able to muscle the Dolmar 120, I was spoiled, it flat out cut the wood fast. Ideally a saw with the power of a 68cc engine and weight of a 46cc would work for me.

You could use a 262 Husky!! Way to go is a 261 on Ebay then P/C kit at Bailey's! Everything else will work including the clutch and muffler
I have a 445 that we got refurbished for $200. I got a 16" bar and chisel chain at Bailey's for it. Cuts firewood fine!

If a saw is all ya need............heck man we got saws.

If someone wants to send the man a top cover I'd be willing to build him a strong 2145 with a 51.7 top end on it. I'd send along a 16inch set up with it. A member did me a solid when I was hard up last winter , its only right to pass that along.

Sure there are lots of different combinations of bars and chains and tons of different saws needing different parts. However: You only need parts, bars and chains to fit the saws you have. Ever been in a tire shop? Same thing. Just get what you need, if you aren't sure what you need, then post up what model saw you are looking for parts and accessories for and those on this site will steer you in the right direction.

If you heat solely with wood, consider what you are burning it in. Could a more efficient stove reduce the amount of wood you need to cut? Keeping your chains razor sharp will reduce the amount of saw fuel and oil you go through and also keep running time to a minimum being easier on your body. ie, spend more time sharpening and less time cutting.

Just some thoughts.

Don't give up! I would love to live more off grid. If all you need is your saw fixed back up or a different saw I'm sure out of all of us here we can get you back up and cutting.

Did you see what saw he was using? Hell I would give up cutting if all I had was a cheap POS Chinese Homelite, to be honest with you I would rather cut with a bow saw. You sir need to scour the CL and pick up a nicely used 50cc pro saw for around $200 or go down to Lowes and buy you one of those 2050 Poulan Pros for a little less and end up with a saw that will make you like cutting again. If 18" was all I was cutting my MS260 would never leave my side, I spent $220 on it at a Pawn Shop a couple years ago and it has never let me down in the smaller wood.

I think if your looking for a 50CC saw with 70CC power... You need to look at one of bsnellings fully ported 261's....

[video=youtube;HxMPgN_2Mvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxMPgN_2Mvs[/video]

Do you live kind of close to Chaco Canyon? I've met a few folks who live off the grid in New Mexico and they really enjoy it. However, it is a very harsh environment! I don't think that most people on the forum can understand the remoteness with all it's challenges, if they have never been out there. For example, I met someone who owns 16,000 acres, it was 4 1/2 miles from the road entrance to his house, nothing but high desert scrub, etc. Another person I met was driving to the closest town nearby to have lunch which was 75 miles away.

Is a lighter saw with good power the only thing that you're needing to be happy "living off the grid," or is maintaining your place getting to be too much? There are builders (some are sponsors, some are not) here who can set you up nicely for the $$ that you eralier mentioned.

He has a saw..........no worries.

:msp_thumbup: Do tell.

Is a lighter saw with good power the only thing that you're needing to be happy "living off the grid," or is maintaining your place getting to be too much? There are builders (some are sponsors, some are not) here who can set you up nicely for the $$ that you eralier mentioned.

:msp_thumbup: Do tell.

Chris J, the harsh reality is both. This house and land is mine free and clear and the only place I can afford to live. I have nobody to help with the work involved and can't pay to get stuff done. I am going to stick it out to the end, but have to make things as easy on myself as possible. Heat for the winter has to come from wood and I physically can't handle a saw as heavy as the old Dolmar any more. Hence the need for a lightweight saw with lots of power. Randy has stepped up to the plate and made a most generous offer that left me speechless. I will be able to keep the woodstove going. That in itself is a big load off of me.

The guys on this site are a great bunch, they help each other out like brothers. They entertain and can bring a person out of the doldrums. They educate and share knowledge and experience. I feel blessed to be a part of AS, and a hearty thanks to Darin for making this site work and made it what it is today.

Do you live kind of close to Chaco Canyon? I've met a few folks who live off the grid in New Mexico and they really enjoy it. However, it is a very harsh environment! I don't think that most people on the forum can understand the remoteness with all it's challenges, if they have never been out there. For example, I met someone who owns 16,000 acres, it was 4 1/2 miles from the road entrance to his house, nothing but high desert scrub, etc. Another person I met was driving to the closest town nearby to have lunch which was 75 miles away.

Where I am is nothing like Chaco canyon area. We actually have trees here although water is still a big issue. I can drive 10 miles and be in a small town, to shop for groceries and supplies is a 120 mile round trip/

Randy has stepped up to the plate and made a most generous offer that left me speechless. I will be able to keep the woodstove going.

Don't know him and I'm new here, but Randy obviously desrives a shout out. Great to start a morning, reading something like that.

Last edited:
Don't know him and I'm new hear, but Randy obviously desrives a shout out. Great to start a morning, reading something like that.

I don't deserve anything........

This site and it's members have been very good for me. I found this place when I was in very poor health and the reading I found here kept me from going insane.

I'm just happy to be able to give something back.

I don't deserve anything........

This site and it's members have been very good for me. I found this place when I was in very poor health and the reading I found here kept me from going insane.

I'm just happy to be able to give something back.

This site made me realize my insanity was acceptable.

And my offer stands on the 2145.

Back