No more MR. Nice guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
must just be BIL's in general. I have two, one is rough as guts and can fix anything with some gaffer tape and ciggy foil, which has come in handy, but refuses to buy/fix ANYTHING decent for himself, the other could break a brand new Sherman Tank before it left the parade ground. Just dog unlucky. I keep 'Decoy' tools and fishing gear for them to use, saves arguments with the missus and protects the good stuff from 'bad luck'.....

Friend has a BIL that bought a decent used saw. Used it to cut stumps out of the ground. Got pissed at what a POS the Stihl homeower saws are, etc, ect. My friend took it, put a new bar and chain on it, good to go. BIL sees him cutting just fine with it sometime down the road, and asks to borrow it back to cut something with real quick like. Friend takes it inside, puts the original bar and chain back on the saw and hands it to BIL. BIL brings it back cussing at what a POS it still is and never asks about it again. Friend still keeps the original bar and chain handy just in case.

I've started trying to keep some crappy loaner tools around too for just this reason.

blackoak,

Over the weekend I would think about your post and chuckle thinking about your BIL up with his snooty buds in their rolling motels...I don't have such luxury myself, and camp in a tent when I do so...

Reminds me when I was working at Oracle, as a consultant. I love to sail and once sent Larry Ellison an email congratulating him on his line honors for the Sydney->Hobart race about 13-14 years ago...his reply to me was a very flippant, "she's the fastest boat ever built", in reference to Sayonara...but somehow it always bothered me that guys like me would go out sailing on SF Bay, eating salt, getting knocked on our ear every once in a while, and other folks like Ellison who could afford to hire the best of crew sat in their comfy bunks while the crew did all the work...

A couple years later (1998), the Sydney->Hobart race got hit by a huge storm a few hours after the boats left, quite a few boats lost their masts (five boats sank and six people died. Only 44 of the 115 boats that started, made it to Hobrart). Larry Ellison was tossed around as Chris Dikson (mispelled on purpose as the AS software thinks it's a bad word), one of the greatest skippers of our time, safely got Larry and his rich buddy to Hobart. Someone go tossed out their bunk and broke a rib, and most of the race he would scream every time the boat went over a large swell...when they got to shore, Larry Ellison swore he would never sail again...(eventually he did sail again, but not for a number of years).

I was always tempted to send Larry another email asking, "how's that f#@$in' salt taste now?", but figured I might want to work at Oracle at some point again, so never did...*lol*

Your BIL should have got some iron on his corn flakes over the weekend...after all, is that was irony is comprised of? :cheers:

Last edited:
I guess I am on the opposite side of the fence as you all, I will loan my saws to just about anybody who I think would have enough experience to use it safely... meaning I have probably worked around them in the past and they would run my saw like I would run theirs. Anybody else I am just leary from a safety standpoint as most of those who I know who would ask to borrow a saw have probably never run in which case I will go do the work for them and let them clean it up.

great ideas

you all have some great ideas - the tape on the plug and the decoy tools are my favorites - and the reversed kill switch of course.
this is probably the funniest thread ive read on AS.

blackoak,
Over the weekend I would think about your post and chuckle thinking about your BIL up with his snooty buds in their rolling motels...I don't have such luxury myself, and camp in a tent when I do so...
:cheers:

BIL or not, any revenge that can screw over the minds of snooty slobs (motorhome or otherwise) is AOK in my book!!!!

I remember tent camping in the peace and quiet of a beautiful secluded meadow in the Stanislaus National Forest 25 miles from the nearest paved highway. The peace and quiet didn't last very long.

An overbloated behemoth-sized, luxury motorhome rolled up and parked on the opposite side of the meadow. The snooty slobs in the luxury motorhome built a campfire alongside their motorhome, fired up their obnoxious noise polluting generator and watched their campfire thru the picture window of their air-conditioned motorhome.

At the end of the weekend, another obnoxious motorhome slob dumped raw sewage from his holding tanks onto the ground. The sewage-dumping slob had a large Good Sam sticker posted on his motorhome.

Last edited:
blackoak, I can't wait to here the follow-up to your story. As the saying goes: "oh to be a fly on the wall".

Kevin

At the end of the weekend, another obnoxious motorhome slob dumped raw sewage from his holding tanks onto the ground. The sewage-dumping slob had a large Good Sam sticker posted on his motorhome.
Surprised he didn't have a sticker that said, "save the environment" or something cliche like that...:)

My BAD....my memory is getting worse in my advanced years...but there will be a Polaris Ranger at the camp that gets that little trick this hunting season.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Get 'em! he, he, he...

I must be lucky. My BIL doesn't borrow anything from me. He has more tools than I ever will and is the person I go to if I need something fixed that I don't know how to.
My FIL isn't handy at all but knows it. If he needs something done around the house he will call me to come over and do it for him. This relationship works out though. If I don't have the tool required to do it he will buy the tool and i get to keep it. :clap::clap:

Example 1: FIL hit a rock in his yard the kids next door must have thrown over and bent his blade on his riding mower. Calls me over to fix it. It needs a 15/16 wrench and I didn't bring an adjustable wrench with me so off to sears we go. I point out the adjustable end wrench that will work and he says naw thats not what we need. Next we are walking out of the store with a 266 piece mechanics toolset that comes with its own box to carry everything in. We get back and I replace the blades and go to leave and tells me I forgot my tool box. He said he got the one with the box so it won't be hard for me to bring them over next time something breaks.

Doing things for him also go me a 5 PC dewalt 18v tool set.(once again with a travel box) and many other tools.

get your balls 2gether and tell him were to go......3 things in life u dont loan out.......boat. Old lady and chainsaw...

you damn right!!! Any body here ever got a saw back the way it went out? Doubt it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it. Waiting for the follow-up....

I wish I was that sneaky... I just Say NO!!! and dare you to ask twice.

Now that is funny !!! Can't wait to see the results, but I can't imagine you putting up w/ such a jerk.

Back