NOR'EASTER! Gas up those saws and generators!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHDiesel73L

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
With all of the leaves still on the trees in the Northeast we could be in for a bad one. Here is the NWS report from Noon today:

• Early season nor’easter threatens the region.
• The most likely time to feel its effects are Saturday, October 29th
• There is the threat of very significant snowfall for this early in the season
• There is a very high risk of 4+ inches.
• There is a high risk of 8+ inches.
• There is a moderate risk of 12+ inches.
• There is the threat of coastal flooding
• There is a very high risk of moderate coastal flooding.
• There is a moderate risk of major coastal flooding.
• Rainfall amounts of one to two inches are expected; this is not expected to be significant enough to cause inland fresh water flooding.
• There is a high risk of significant tree limb damage and associated power outages due to the combination of heavy snowfall, strong winds, and trees which still have their leaves due to the time of the year.

Colorado just got walloped with an early snow and it played havoc with the trees causing a lot of power outages. Some folks in our area were out for more than a week after Irene-this could be dejavu all over again.

Snow already WTF!, just got fresh load of logs 2 weeks ago, I figured I'd get a head start on next years wood so I don't have to cut in the snow and we get hit with this, oh well there goes my plans on mowing lawn one last time and using my new Husky snowblower instead.

im in northwest NJ
looks like the weather people are at it again, scaring everyone into cleaning out the stores

headlines on Weather.com for our county read: "8-12 inches of snow over the next 36 hours"
.. but then actually clicking on the story and reading more, it says rain tonight, possibly turning into a wet snow/rain mix through saturday then its supposed to get cold saturday night, hopefully we dont end up with another late october ice storm like we had 2-3 years ago while all the trees still had their leaves
i guess its all going to depend on the temperature, if its gona be in the high 30s , low 40s like they are saying.. hopefully well just get some rain. i guess we'll see

The long term forecasts, which I often doubt, suggest November and December will be doozies for the Mid-Atlantic and New England. Jan will be slightly worse than normal, while Feb and March will be normal. So this storm may be a preview of what's to come in November.

The mountains near me in VA in WV are on the hook for 8-12", but localized peaks in WV could see up to 16" out of this storm. They are already getting hammered as we speak. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. I don't normally have my ski gear ready this early in the season….

I haven't even started doing fall clean-ups yet since the trees are still holding a majority of thier leaves. Crimity...I just finished cleaning up my last Irene blow down and now this crap!?! Got several phone calls for firewood and made a couple deliveries so I guess that's an upside to it. Several of my plowing customers also called...just to make sure I was doing it again this year. Figured....just in case, let's hook up the plow and make sure everything works. Sure enough it goes up, it goes down, it goes up again , it goes right, and it won't go left. Fiddled a little with it. now it goes up, it goes down and will go left but not right. Spent the next 4 hours trying to find the issue to no avail. Figured I better walk away from it before I got made enough to get the torch out and make for an isurance claim. At least the ariens fired right up with a fresh tank of gas.

WHIMPYS OWN WORDS "i ll gladly pay you tuesday for a snow plow today " hope we dont need those plows ,really sucks plowing when the ground isnt frozen

Ain't that the truth. With all the rain we have had the ground is mostly mud. Gonna be a major pain and make for one heck of a mess...

I say go for it!

Snow already WTF!, just got fresh load of logs 2 weeks ago, I figured I'd get a head start on next years wood so I don't have to cut in the snow and we get hit with this, oh well there goes my plans on mowing lawn one last time and using my new Husky snowblower instead.

Worthwhile to get everyone around you convinced you are nuts and off yer rocker..just for *sport*...go out and mow your few inches of snow! Sideways roostertails!

Whuttheheck! ;)

i guess its all going to depend on the temperature, if its gona be in the high 30s , low 40s like they are saying.. hopefully well just get some rain. i guess we'll see

Latest weather I saw pegs the temperature dropping into the 20s around 1:00 p.m. tomorrow.

Figured....just in case, let's hook up the plow and make sure everything works. Sure enough it goes up, it goes down, it goes up again , it goes right, and it won't go left. Fiddled a little with it. now it goes up, it goes down and will go left but not right. Spent the next 4 hours trying to find the issue to no avail.

When I bought my truck the plow went right when the joystick was pulled to the left and to the left when it was pulled to the right. WTF???

I haven't even started doing fall clean-ups yet since the trees are still holding a majority of thier leaves. Crimity...I just finished cleaning up my last Irene blow down and now this crap!?! Got several phone calls for firewood and made a couple deliveries so I guess that's an upside to it. Several of my plowing customers also called...just to make sure I was doing it again this year. Figured....just in case, let's hook up the plow and make sure everything works. Sure enough it goes up, it goes down, it goes up again , it goes right, and it won't go left. Fiddled a little with it. now it goes up, it goes down and will go left but not right. Spent the next 4 hours trying to find the issue to no avail. Figured I better walk away from it before I got made enough to get the torch out and make for an isurance claim. At least the ariens fired right up with a fresh tank of gas.

If you have an electric power pack plow, your problem is more than likely the plug in connectors,clean them up with parts cleaner,and blow out with comrpessed air,pack them with dielectric grease,and wiggle them together really good....the connectors need a little maintenance at the beginning and end of the season...if they dont get that, they can be a pain in the you know what....hope this fixes your problem...if you have in broken or green connectors....its time to geta new wiring harness or repair harness...
We still have the majority of our leaves in the trees too,this year has been nothing but a struggle....leaves are close to 3 weeks late falling due to the record breaking rain weve received...now straight to snow.....12-20" predicted here....I got lucky slide the 7 yr old plow on my 12 yr old truck and everything worked! I havent even serviced the plow yet,just plucked it out with the skid steer and put it on....hoping all goes well if i need it.

Last edited:
With all of the leaves still on the trees in the Northeast we could be in for a bad one.

Yes the leaves, 4" to 8" with soil that is still wet from our record rainfall may cause more problems.
I see as many fresh root plates on my way to work as houses for sale, plenty of both.

Saws, check
Generator, check
4X4, check

Let it snow,
Ted

Well as usual in eastern CT we are right on the line between rainy/wet slushy mess and snowy/icy slushy mess but this is early so it's even trickier to forecast so I'm fully expecting to get anything from lots of rain to a foot of snow, anyone's guess.

I pulled the snowblower out and realized that although I had had emptied the gas I never ran it dry and to top if off the last time I did gas it up I didn't use Star Tron for the ethanol and you guessed it, carb was a mess. Bits of rust in the bowl, float stuck down so needle stuck open and generally messed up. Cleaned it up and got it going ok, good enough for now. Electric start is toast though.

I am plowing again this year for my brother-in-law's landscape company and he is in Bermuda right now. Poor guy is probably freaking out and trying to get an early flight home as we speak. Like others have said, I hate plowing when the ground isn't frozen, makes any little mistake in missing a driveway into a muddy mess we have to go fix in the spring. To top it off I got way behind in my drainage ditch and never got to re-seeding the yard yet so I will be fightiing wash outs until summer now. I haven't even had tiime to cover my pool yet, geez.

I'm just gonna ignore it and it will go away.

The Gravely is sitting in the yard with a dead battery and flat tire - just a bit too far away for my longest extension cord, so I never got around to it. The snow blade isn't on it anyway.

I got the parts for the generator carburetor but never got them put on. I'll just wait until it's dark and cold and do it then with a flashlight (actually, the stove keeps the house warm and I'll just wait until light).

The power steering in the truck sprung a leak so I won't be driving that far. Snow tires aren't on the car yet.

The saws work fine and I have fuel, but little bar lube.

I don't have that much wood stacked down at the house yet.

Bring it on.

####!!! :laugh: Got generator, gas, beer, and sharp saws. Not much else a sole can do but be ready for the worst :msp_thumbup: I'm not gonna be able to plow nothing since the driveways are'nt froze :msp_ohmy:

Latest posts

Back