North Missouri Fall Saw races/GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have a pot of pine in our area just some cedar. About the softest woods we have are Hackberry, Maple, Elm and Cottonwood. Our Maple tree's are pretty large and most of them are straight. I think fresh Hackberry would make a nice cant but what do you guys think?

We don't have a pot of pine in our area just some cedar. About the softest woods we have are Hackberry, Maple, Elm and Cottonwood. Our Maple tree's are pretty large and most of them are straight. I think fresh Hackberry would make a nice cant but what do you guys think?

For consistency, knot free hackberry may work, but cottonwood is probably your best bet.
Unless you got poplar...

For consistency, knot free hackberry may work, but cottonwood is probably your best bet.
Unless you got poplar...

We've got some really nice Hackberry tree's up here but I'll have much larger cottonwood selection. The large logs for the big bars will likely be cottonwood, those often show up around 40+ inches around the area. For the Iron man dollar races I'll use a hardwood and make larger cants.I believe a 28inch bar should be minimum allowed unless you guys have a better idea to make this a more equal playing field. I figured doing this will allow torque to compete with rpm s

I'm not sure we have any poplar up in our area that I can cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got some really nice Hackberry tree's up here but I'll have much larger cottonwood selection. The large logs for the big bars will likely be cottonwood, those often show up around 40+ inches around the area. For the Iron man dollar races I'll use a hardwood and make larger cants.I believe a 28inch bar should be minimum allowed unless you guys have a better idea to make this a more equal playing field. I figured doing this will allow torque to compete with rpm s

I'm not sure we have any poplar up in our area that I can cut.

If ya want to go big bar, make it 36" and over...
:msp_sneaky:

Is this going to be all about racing or are you having something for the vintage runners to hack on.

By vintage I mean, Remington Pro 88, PL-7 and PL-55.............................................................

We only have 20 and 24 inch bars. Did you ever see a 134# geezer tote a 31# Remington? Or, just start the darn thing?:laugh:

So no questions or concerns ?

Build off idea's would be nice. I mean what are saws people have available that they could build? Maybe just do a 60cc build off? I mentioned a 50 cc piped but after thinking it over we've done a couple of those at gtg' s .

Is this going to be all about racing or are you having something for the vintage runners to hack on.

By vintage I mean, Remington Pro 88, PL-7 and PL-55.............................................................

We only have 20 and 24 inch bars. Did you ever see a 134# geezer tote a 31# Remington? Or, just start the darn thing?:laugh:

Plenty of room for vintage saws in this. It's just as much a gtg as it is racing. There will be vintage class racing if people want to do so. But wood will be there to cut for any kind of saw you so choose. Bring a bow saw please the public don't get to see these sorts of things like we do. I'd love to see a little 2 man saw action.

Plenty of room for vintage saws in this. It's just as much a gtg as it is racing. There will be vintage class racing if people want to do so. But wood will be there to cut for any kind of saw you so choose. Bring a bow saw please the public don't get to see these sorts of things like we do. I'd love to see a little 2 man saw action.

Hey, if you want some 2 man sawing we need to get my mall running.

That's true we never did look over it. Probably should do that

wouldn't hurt to look em over. I know they are missing a few parts. I know both powerheads I have are locked up. hopefully one of them is salvageable enough to get one good saw out of.

wouldn't hurt to look em over. I know they are missing a few parts. I know both powerheads I have are locked up. hopefully one of them is salvageable enough to get one good saw out of.

We need to soak them in diesel fuel for a few days

Latest posts

Back