Northern IL Southern WIS Tornadoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We watched the wall cloud go just north of us yesterday at about 3 pm yesterday had 3 tornadoes hit are area.This morning we stopped at this farm 5 miles from the shop the only thing standing was the house.Barn, workshop,out buildings completely gone.Had two oak trees on house 4 more blocking driveways barn.We started on house and drive way.Used grapple truck first to remove the roof that was caved in on work shop helped get valuables and tools for him.aprox 25 trees snapped in half or severally damaged.Insurance tried to play games with them until we had talked to them and educated them on what Ins was responsible for.Removed trees off house and was able to tarp roof severaly damaged in about 4 hrs.Got about another 3 days out there.

Whoa! That is severe.

The ones left standing, with only branch damage, it looks like those are being kept--smart. While you're making chips on site, it seems like the best time to mulch the remaining trees.

It would be verrry interesting to see if all the uprooted trees had butt rot, which seems visible in some pics.

We must be pretty close, that wall cloud passed right over us as it was building, if the trees had leaves, im sure their would have been some major breakage, that storm got violent real quick.
You close to Chi-Town? Wonder Lake? I heard of it, I should google my own answer!

Last edited:
We are 60 miles north west of CHI and yes base of oaks had major rot,we loaded 4 semi today another 3 more to go.Trees still standing we are doing everything to save them.

It was cold Steve in grapple froze his butt off loading while I was cutting rest of crew doing clean up.We got front of house completely spotless.

Where was that at? Near Hebron? We missed driving thru that by 2hrs picking up chipper blades in Rockford. Scary Larry!!!

This farm was on B outside of Zenda on S curve we were at farm in Hebron working on trailer watched it go just north of us winds picked up had heavy hail rain and wind.It was crazy.The people who own property was one in the barn on bottom floor just got horses in stalls,the other was in his truck in driveway,and his worker was in the little car that you see tarp ed in picture.He said he saw barn roof go over the top of him seen trailer come at him then he said all he seen was white.There is a God up there.Nobody was hurt.

we will be at 11 semi loads with last one being the trunks on a lowboy in 2 1\2 days.Crew has been amazing very proud of them.removed 2 oaks off house, rest were on driveways, cars and what was left of out buildings.Had to use grapple truck to remove roof that caved in on work shop so he could get everything out.Sunday we are going to remove roof of barn which was lifted and set down by storm 300ft way on large storage shed.

Last edited:
You and your crew deserve what you get come the end of the job.
God knows nobody can trust the insurance companies. They're good at taking payments and making promises, but come the need, then they're really good at doing everything but owning up to what they promised. Wish I didn't personally know that to be true.
The sleep of an honest hard working man is always sweet.
Steve W.

You are right insurance company are taking these people for a ride it never ends take your money every year and the one time you have a major catastrophe they leave you in the dust.the insurance states they only pay a percentage 5% of what the property is worth for tree removal,debris and demolition.These people have a min $20,000 in dumpsters and removal let alone take down.who can we contact to report insurance company.They were told they have a total of $9000 for everything.CRIMINAL

I'm thinking if you post what's happening to these people as a separate thread you could really end up with some great avenues for them and you to pursue. Each state is different so the laws down here may or may not have any meaning to you in Ill. .
In Texas there are three contacts you make if you're having problems.
First one is to the State Insurance Board.
Second is to the State Attorney Generals Office.
Third is . . . MAN I hate being senile! If I remember I'll PM you.
Also the internet is a wealth of information especially when it comes to insurance companies and their shyster activities. A bit of research there could end up saving the day.
Last, advise the family to sign nothing! Let a lawyer of known reputation look it over first and advise.
Hope this helps
Steve W.

Latest posts

Back