Northern Tool Grinder Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know from reading past threads that there was a lot of interest in the Northern Tool Grinder about a year ago. I am referring to the model that sold for around $89.00 at the time. I am curious if some of you who purchased this tool are still happy with your purchase and how the tool has held up to actual use.

Maplemeister: :chainsaw: :) :chainsaw:

I've had one for about a year and a half and it's great sharpens as good as my uncles 400.00 Oregon. My neighbor jammed the wheel down and the wheel exploded last week I called northern and new wheel is 10.00 not bad at all woman on phone told me a 15.00 warranty now for2 yrs and u don't return old grinder to them!! Can't go wrong I love mine sharpen all mychains and friends and neighbors it comes with 3 wheels 1/8 3/16 1/4 it's the best for the money hands down

I bought one last year and my only complaint was having to remove the vise and basically build it as it should have been to start with. I wrote up and posted about my fixes over on the saw board. As far as I can tell it is now the full equal of the Oregon unit. The vise mods took an evening but it is my understanding that the vise problems have been fixed. All in all I am very satisfied with mine all things considered. I don't use it a lot, I prefer filing except long chains and chains that have been rocked.

Sounds like everyone's initial impression was correct and this unit has turned out to be a good value. Thanks for all responses. I will be ordering mine soon as well.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

Tecomec

I have a tecomec TL 190 midi grinder and I really like....it works very well..I read on this site that tecomec makes oregon and a few other chain grinders..On ebay $244...bought mine from my stihl dealer for $175 and also an extra wheel...i did my home work before i bought and it pays off...check it out...DW...:)

Link?

I bought one last year and my only complaint was having to remove the vise and basically build it as it should have been to start with. I wrote up and posted about my fixes over on the saw board. As far as I can tell it is now the full equal of the Oregon unit. The vise mods took an evening but it is my understanding that the vise problems have been fixed. All in all I am very satisfied with mine all things considered. I don't use it a lot, I prefer filing except long chains and chains that have been rocked.

Could I bother you to provide the link or instructions for the vise mod? Thank you in advance.....:chainsaw:

I've had my northern chain grinder a year or so............... it the shizzle !

Some of the best money i've ever spent.

Northern Grinder

I purchased mine about a year ago and so far, I'm happy with it and have recommended to other people to purchase one.

Being able to sharpen my chains when I need them sharpened is well worth the price of the unit. Saw shop couldn't always get the chains sharpened for me when I needed them.

Gary

Bought mine as well a year ago, and have probably sent 40-50 chains over it and I can't complain at all. I generally sharpen my chains by hand with a file in the field, but with my wife cutting she often hits the ground and rocks out a chain.
I have been thinking about buying a second one to leave the thicker wheel on it to knock down the rakers, its a pain to switch back and forth between the wheels, but no different than any other electric grinder on the market.
I would highly recommend the purchase!Best 90 bucks that I have spent in awhile.

I have had one for about a year and it works great. I used it to replace the piece of junk Harbor freight model I had for a short time.

It's nice to hear so many speak well of this unit after having put it to the test for so long. My biggest problem is living a long way from the saw shop
and then having to wait for days to get chain done, not to mention the cost of fuel to run back and forth. I have become fairly proficient with the hand file but still need a machine now and then to re-true angles and clean up rocked out edges. This still seems to be the best dollar for value deal around from what I am hearing.

Maplemeister: :chainsaw: :clap: :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back