Norwood Porta Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RON58

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any of you guys use one of these ? I saw one working on you tube and it seems ok. Can't figure out how the saw is bolted to the rig.Does it bolt on the bar studs?

Any of you guys use one of these ? I saw one working on you tube and it seems ok. Can't figure out how the saw is bolted to the rig.Does it bolt on the bar studs?

I would say it dose use the bar studs. Logosol mounts with bar studs, it
uses stand off type bar nut's, One end is female and one end is male.
Screw them on just like a bar nut, but it has a stud on the end to mount
on the mill with your reg bar nuts.

pretty cool I wondered about these a couple years ago seen them in Northerns catalog. Almost like a logosol but lower neat setup. Please tell me no one cuts that fast with their alaskan if you do i'm doing something wrong i'm sure it has something to do with the wood but seemed to really go through quick!! thanks for the link irishcountry

pretty cool I wondered about these a couple years ago seen them in Northerns catalog. Almost like a logosol but lower neat setup. Please tell me no one cuts that fast with their alaskan if you do i'm doing something wrong i'm sure it has something to do with the wood but seemed to really go through quick!! thanks for the link irishcountry

That log is small, and appears to be a pretty soft wood. In the first cut it looks like tulip poplar, but towards the end of the video, the endgrain looks like pine. Either way, its a narrow cut and soft, likely green wood. The saw appears to be an 066.

I have milled bigger hemlock than that with my 066BB on the Alaskan, and and it went that fast. Speed depends upon the wood(size, dryness, density) the power of the saw, chain type, and sharpness of the chain. To date, my favorite chain for free cutting, smooth finish, and clearing chips is Stihl RM. Its semi-chisel and full comp. It makes chips rather than dust, and I've used Oregon 72LGX, Stihl RSK(?) full skip chisel, and Stihl RS besides. My first go with the 3120 was in oak with Bailey's chisel chain. It cut fairly smoothly and quickly when sharp.

I'm seriously considering a Norwood bandmill. The Alaskan is great for odd sized and shaped slabs, and remote locations, but too slow for production.

Hmm, the Portamill is limited to max 14" diameter logs.
At that rate you shouldn't need a forklift to load. you could almost do it by hand LOL

The Woodbug has greater capacity.

Well did it

Well I built one and used it. Time to move on.I posted pics a while back.Used a 394xp 38" bar. Cuts dang nice stuff just too time consuming.Would be awesome if ya only had a few logs a year but I need more. Anyone interested in her less the saw? Already started collecting band mill parts.

Did you get a chance to use it on any bigger harder wood yet? I was looking at getting one. But most of my log are 22in or so.

Portamill

Can owner of the Portamill confirm that it is limited to 14 in logs. I was in the local dealer last week and as far as I can see a longer bar will permit you to handle a lot more than 14 in.

Can owner of the Portamill confirm that it is limited to 14 in logs. I was in the local dealer last week and as far as I can see a longer bar will permit you to handle a lot more than 14 in.

not to hijack but I too want to know exactly this. Is it the vertical indexing of the mill that limits you to 14"?? If you had a big enough powerhead and long enough bar why couldn't it take a 48" log?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

From what I can see this is what's limiting it to 14" - the rollers/ carriers/ bed (whatever it's called) that the log sits on, right?

attachment.php

called norwood - they said basically the torque a longer bar puts on that vertical post becomes too great on anything over a 14" log.

He said during testing things started to break over that and they had to put a line in the sand somewhere.

Too bad - if it'd take a 395/ 3120 and a 48" log I'da bought it.

called norwood - they said basically the torque a longer bar puts on that vertical post becomes too great on anything over a 14" log . . . . Too bad - if it'd take a 395/ 3120 and a 48" log I'da bought it.

If you really like the design, you might be able to mod it pretty easily to take the strain off the post and mill bigger logs. Adding a lever arm parallel to the bar (maybe attached to the guard above the bar?) would take most of the torque from the saw. If you wanted to remove all the torque from the post, you might be able to mod it to use a round post instead of a square post. It looks like 4 bushings and weld plates would do it (1 on top, 2 on the saw, & 1 on the bottom). Then you could rotate the saw a bit while milling, similar to an Alaskan.

- Rick

Back