Not as big as Sizzle's trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good show 1Lick,

My bro is 49 days younger than you and is a professional firefighter as well.

Anywho, pls school me on your initial face cut of your notch. It looks plenty wide for that tree. I'm guessing you were practicing some chainsaw cutting techniques. Practice makes perfect.

No, I wasn't really practicing. I was always taught that the width of the hinge controls the direction of the fall. The width of the hinge should be 80%-100% of the diameter of the tree. I should also add that the stumps were left high on purpose so the backhoe could dig them out. I hate cutting that high... something about eviscerating my gut that doesn't sit well...

Onelick used a plunge cut to set his hinge thickness and allow for wedging to get maximum lift. He left enough holding wood, tab, in the rear of the back-cut to hold the tree in place (for wedging and hinge width). Once he sent his wedges on home, he cut the rear holding wood (tab) and the tree's felled.

OIn thing about the bore cut method to think about is the fact that iff you have to wedge the tree wedges placed behind and parralell to the hings are no effective. You will be wacking all day to get the tree to go over.
You can still use the bore cut method, but instead leave your holding wood off to one side so you can place the wedge perpendicular to the hinge.

I don't understand how they can be ineffective if placed parallell to the hinge. it's still lifting isn't it? That's the only way I set my wedge(s). I get the maximum lift with a 12" wedge (I only carry 10's and 12's) and if the tree isn't that big in dia, and I still need alot of lift, then I have to put it parallell to the hinge. I have never had a tree NOT fall when I place the wedge parallell. You do have to make sure you have enough wedge thickness to get the lift you need to overcome the lean. This is where the Prosight card comes into play.
Onelick

Onelick:
BWalker is basically right. Just overstated.
Wedges placed parallel or next to the hinge do lift, just not as well as from the area of the backcut furthest from the hinge.
It relates to the length of the lever arm, the hinge is the fulcrum, if you wedge from a point further from the fulcrum you'll get more leverage. Even a short distance can be very significant.
Wedging next to the hinge has three weaknesses:
1) There will be some trees you simply cannot get over with reduced leverage.
2) There will be increased wear on equipment and operator with trees that you can still get over but require more beatin' than necessary to get over.
3) On dead wood and a lighter tree, it can pop the hinge early if you drive the wedge even moderately prior to completing the back-cut.
Your last photo shows what I'd suggest is too small of a face, unless because of a heavy lean that is all you could get in. A 1/3rd face is generally preferred and one of the reasons is that wedging is easier.
Also a narrow face can control felling direction more than a wide 80% + face. If you're working against a lean, you can cut a narrow beveled face that will close on one side first. This can be part of your plan and help direct a tree toward the other side.

I thought he was talking about placing the wedge parallel to the hinge, not the distance from the hinge. I understand about the leverage and lift from the wedge placed as far from the hinge as possible.

Back in 1992 I came up with a way of doing the bore cut and getting the wedge(s) established while having matching cuts all the way around. This is generally dependent on a long enough bar.
1) Place your bore cut up to the holding wood and head about half way out the back. Pull your bar out so that you complete this portion of the back cut leaving a pillar, of sorts, on one side of the rear. Place an insurance wedge gently by the cut side’s hinge and a regular wedge snuggly near the rear. Finish the back cut from the opposite and balance with a second rear wedge or as needed. A weakness to this tactic is that you have to place yourself on both sides of the tree. Which may not be safe.
bwalker in post #7 states: "You can still use the bore cut method, but instead leave your holding wood off to one side so you can place the wedge perpendicular to the hinge." I think that is the same thing or close to what I'm saying.
Since about '95 I've seen where some books etc mention doing a half back cut, establishing a wedge, then going to the other side and best guessing a match on the other half of a back cut. Not bad usually, but if you're working at a max limit to talk a tree over leaving even just a sliver/or a mismatch can hold up the world.
But Mr. Walker and perhaps others may have figured this out long ago.
Also with a large, wide open conventional face or GOL face this can be accomplished on trees with diameters > than the bar length. But that’s another story that depends on good holding wood in the corners and no major need for the holding wood in the center.

Onelick said:
No, I wasn't really practicing. I was always taught that the width of the hinge controls the direction of the fall. The width of the hinge should be 80%-100% of the diameter of the tree. I should also add that the stumps were left high on purpose so the backhoe could dig them out. I hate cutting that high... something about eviscerating my gut that doesn't sit well...

i was wonderin how come they were so high.. btw what's a backhoe? never heard of that.

I bore cut almost every tree, I find its alot safer for me to do it like that.

Cut notch, Bore in set hinge where I want it, cut back and leave some holding wood, pop in a wedge or 2 unless its already got a good lean. Cut holding wood, if no go I might hit the wedge a time or two but I usually just throw another in the back.

Trees under 10-12 in diameter i usually chase cut, anything over that never gets chase cut.

whats the high stumps about, looks like a skidder drivers nightmare, and all that bore plunge stuff in that size stuff is kinda overkill, what to ya work by the hour.

Terminology varies throughout the US.
I had not heard of a "chase" before, at least that I can recall.
The face cut to some is a notch elsewhere.
We refer to a bore locally and it is a plunge to onelick and others.
Call us crazy, just not late for dinner.

Bore Cutting and chase cutting are different ways to cut the back cut.

I call it chase cutting cause your chasing the tree when it finally starts to go.

Tam:
Let’s have the wrong way story.

JimL:
We call the back cut the back cut.
Boring out the back or just boring covers the other method in the terminology I'm familar with. Boring is not widely used in the West other than on barber chair avoidance. It is getting a small following also on precise holding wood placement for some newer fallers.
I'm not aware of any pro cutters using it exclusively. Which sounds similar to your not using it on certain diameters.

Latest posts

Back