Not many big ones left

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can attest to the fact that mills dont want 60" trees as I cut a 60" Doug fir down last year and the land owner couldnt get any of the mills to take it. And it wasn't rotten inside, but it was only 100 years old so it didnt have the tight pattern of an old growth. Still, it makes good firewood.

I gotta get out there someday and see those big trees.

Had a tree guy drop an Oak that got hit by lightning last Fall. He cut it 6 foot up and we measured it in 2 directions 54" across 6' up that's a big ass tree for around here. The bark was about 1 1/4" thick and actually took the fence down before the tree was cut.

16jg6tk.jpg

I gotta get out there someday and see those big trees.

Had a tree guy drop an Oak that got hit by lightning last Fall. He cut it 6 foot up and we measured it in 2 directions 54" across 6' up that's a big ass tree for around here. The bark was about 1 1/4" thick and actually took the fence down before the tree was cut.

Now there's some good firewood!

Fissures in bark nearly five inches deep.

View attachment 349795

This is why we like big dawgs to leverage our big bars.

I've seen guys free solo up a d. fir just like it was a rock face, grabbing bark with their hands and jamming their toes in, right up the tree. I've gone a ways up myself like that, but chickened out well before I reached the branches.:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

I still remember the day after seeing the Columbia river choked with logs and debris.

As you no doubt know, there are literal man-made mountains of ash in the hardest hit areas. Used to be a few you could see just going up I-5.

Here are a few pictures of the Redwoods when my wife and I took a road trip to check them out 4 years ago.
We still talk about that trip, IMO that the best road trip we have taken so far. In 5 days we drove 1800 miles and hiked about 28 miles. We had a blast!!! I would really like to go back! For those looking for something to take your breath away this will sure do it.Redwoods 2010 069.jpg

Redwoods 2010 077.jpg

Redwoods 2010 130.jpg

Redwoods 2010 142.jpg

I've seen the Founders Grove and the Big Tree there myself. There's a couple trees in the Founders Grove bigger than the one marked. It was way back as we walked from the the sign where you guys are in the picture all the way around to where the other one blew over and back. A lot of walking for a 2.5 year old.

There are not so many big trees in this area of Warshington not only because of logging, but because some huge fires swept through around 1918. That is why there was a nursery for many years at Wind River. Look up the Yacolt Burn and the Cispus Burn. Both burned the Gifford Pinchot (GPNF) big time. The YCC boys planted a lot of it back. Those trees are growing so well that non-forestry folks think they are old growth.

There were, and still are old growth stands but you need to know where to go. Those trees you are posing with are not unusual.

Here is one that survived the fire. The smaller trees around it came in after the fire swept through. They were not planted.
Big tree20001.JPG
It isn't that big either, but was growing at a higher elevation which is a harsher site for Doug-fir. This tree had to come down--hence the grins on the faces of the fallers. It had a dead top and was unsafe to work around. It was left on the ground for a rat log. I couldn't hang around to watch them fall it. I had a lot of work to do so they could keep working. There are some big trees in Iron Creek Campground, where my insurance agent, featured on Madsen's catalog cover, falls the trees that are too complicated for the FS faller to do. Then there is Krause Ridge--you can ride a trail biked into get there--I walk. There is a big tree trail too.

The really big NW trees are in Olympic National Park.

Some pretty good size hemlock on the Oregon coast S. of Seaside. I hiked a portion of the Oregon Coast Trail there and walked past a few in 9'+ range. (I didn't measure, just going by memory)

A pea soup fog rolled in and it was a bit of trouble staying on the trail, I watched my step because you could hear the waves crashing on cliffs just to my right, I really didn't want to miss the trail.

The redwoods and sequoias are mind boggling! I have been through both of those areas a few times and it always impresses me. These douglass firs are a lot different from what I see in Georgia. We have trees of those diameters but not the 100' of stem before the branches! Trees are neat things and I sometimes feel sad if I need to cut down a big healthy one just because someone doesn't want it where it is.

Took a little drive today and found a few old Douglas Fir trees worth mentioning. The one on the right is close to 7' diameter...
image.jpg
image.jpg
...And this tree was once the largest known Sugar Pine in the world. It's hard to tell by the picture, but the stump is about 8' across. It was struck by lightning sometime in the 90's. I remember seeing this tree when I was a kid...image.jpg
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back