not much of a face cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on a good greedy day getting paid by the piece i would likely not even face that pecker pole,i would be apt to just one cut it,certainly not the safest way to go about it,but if my saw was cutting fast that tree wouldnt even know what hit it,the way that guys got it scraped or whatever that is?i hope he doesn't show to many people his technique there

Its just wrong I dont care how you look at it.

Couldnt agree more, I have studied it a dozen times and still cant work it out why "bore cut" load and bash wedges when one doesnt need to, put in a bigger front maybe load one wedge to hold if needed,Makes a long day of falling trees bashing wedges and boring trees.

Last edited:
OMG:dizzy::dizzy:THATS SCARY !!! Why not cut it at a 45 degree no notch!!! Hope he PRAYS alot!!:dizzy:

Back cut first, a bit less than 2/3 in, put in wedge with hand only. Make undercut 1/3 in, do not cut off your holding wood. Hit the wedge with your axe, down she goes. Done it many times on small trees.:cheers:

Yea i have to agree that for this the face cut was too shallow even for an open face cut. I've been with him when he cut 30inch ponderosas with an open face cut that had more of angle to them than the one in the picture. If I remember the tree did have a decent amount of back lean to it along with all the others on the slope. Some days the stumps just are not that good i guess. Jason is a very skilled sawyer that has years of excperience sawing all over the country on fires. He is only one of five "C" instructors for the park service and has certed me on my fires as a fireline sawyer. By the way where did you get that picture? I thought we only had those pictures on the crew files on the computers in the office.

Jason is a very skilled sawyer that has years of excperience sawing all over the country on fires. He is only one of five "C" instructors for the park service and has certed me on my fires as a fireline sawyer.

Maybe it was bad day for him, but.... What is pictured is so wrong, and I am amazed at it. I guess I could just slink off into my cave, but west coast fallers have cut down millions and millions of trees, I have never seen or heard of falling like this. There must be a better explanation, this cannot be standard, please tell me I am wrong.

anyone thats cut hardwoods professionally in the east can attest to the bore cut. I wasn't sold of it at first but it saves you loosing the but of the log because a small face cut is accepted by the scalers. It also gives you alot more control on medium sized trees 8 -25 inches dbh if your going to have to wedge it anyways. thats all the game of logger guys do is bore cut trees and they have pin point accuracy where that tree is going to fall.

I cut hardwood in the east and do it for a living would say I'm semi pro!!! AND I use a HUMBOLT most of the time!!!:monkey:Thanks to a few guys on here...:clap::clap:

HQ_West_Burn_Prep_Low_Res.jpg

My Guess?

He is checking if it's going to be a good log or not.

Back cut first, a bit less than 2/3 in, put in wedge with hand only. Make undercut 1/3 in, do not cut off your holding wood. Hit the wedge with your axe, down she goes. Done it many times on small trees.:cheers:
:agree2:that is the proper way.sometimes on small trees i will notch it then just cut one side of the backcut enough for a wedge and set it firmly just on the one side then work on the other half trying not to cut the wedge,not much room to work on small trees

now that explains everything!dynamite assisted directional falling,yup thats gotta be it.

I don't want to judge the guy. . . But he may have been boring a hole for black powder.

Who am I to assess his explosive technique? :laugh:

there was a guy that cut with us here for a couple years,we referred to his strip as hangerville,eventually one came loose and hammered him flat.he turned out to be o.k.,but i heard the other day that he was teaching the f.s."falling"class and i had to chuckle

Back