not much of a face cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh, Falling Gentlemen, an explanation is needed. The original guy in the photo was Park Service, which is not to be confused with the other agencies mentioned. Not to worry, it is a common error. We have National Forests then we have National Parks. The two are different, although that difference is becoming less, but that would be a different topic. Now, shake hands if you don't have the flu, and all will be right with the universe for a brief time.

What about National Monuments, huh, huh? What kind of fallers do they have?

BLM and USFS should be combined into one agency under the jurisdiction of the BLMUSFSNPSFWSNPCIA division of the Department of Non-Taxable Lands and Forests.

Whew, this Rockstar is causing me to halucinate!

Looks like a typical Fed project, overly complicated, half assed, dangerous and ineffective. Don't get me started on the NPS, in my book, they are pretty much the bottom of the lower shelf. There is way too much "book learnin'" and not near enough practical expirence in the Government services.
That guy in the pic, had he been on my crew, would have been carryin a McLeod, if I saw him cuttin like that. Panzyass new age crap.

Now, don't judge everybody by that. We have a couple of guys here who do most of the hazard tree work. It is a different world, they're dropping big trees, really big trees, along with little ones. They aren't boa####l, aren't show offs and have worked together for 25 years. We like them. They will turn down trees, and then we call in the really big guns--former old growth production fallers. Both with old injuries that stop them from falling full time.
The older injured guys were and probably still are amongst the elite fallers from that time.

Unfortunately, both of our fallers have been kept as seasonals. I won't say why here, I think those who have worked in the FS know why. They deserve better.

And I agree, the BLM and FS should combine. Except I want to wear cotton uniforms, none of that polyester stuff. That latter is something I fought for.
But that's off topic. ;)

I think, as mentioned previously, that the differences in government are more regional rather than agency. I've worked for them all and they all had the same or similar problems. I was treated the best when I worked on the hotshot crews or when I was a contractor. I was treated the worst when I was an engine slug and fuels crew member.

I think our guys put this one on the ground. Barbie and hardhat are for scale.
They smoothed out the stump and butt because it needed to be tidy looking in the picanic area. The tree buried itself in the dirt a bit. I'd guess it to be around 6 feet in diameter or only a few inches shorter.

attachment.php

polyester clothing isn't good if you're gonna be on/near fires.

it does dry faster than cotton though.

Huh? Beech trees worthless to wildlife? Never heard that one before. Ever hear of beechnuts? I always thought critters liked them. I guess the turkeys and deer I see eating the nuts must be wrong, too.

I stand corrected, yes, wildlife food value AND den trees.
I guess I got narrow minded, all forestry, not comprehensive view. And yes, the wood can be exceptionally nice. I work in a disturbance regime forest type dominated by shade intolerant species. The beech that are around were hollow back in the 1920's and left, in the 70s/80s and still left, and now they're big dangerous trees taking up good space. VERY rare to find one that I would classify as timber. In this forest type.

So now I have a better rationalization than safety for the ones we dont girdle or drop. Den and food. BUT, the food from a quality growth timber tastes as good as from a 48" hollow rotten POS, so lets work on those.

We've had ones so crappy that once girdled, when they get bumped during the logging they collapsed right near the hookers. BS. Hookers don't deserve that (chokersetters).

Who Are You???

There's more than five now...I happen to be one of them...

No, we never taught this in the Forest Service, BLM, State government, or anywhere else...such an assumption is asinine...

Jack has some pretty good tricks in his videos for sure...but he also pulls some dumb and foolish stunts...he's gotten lucky many times...

So Have we ever worked around each other.???
Things always look different when you are standing there...
Unless you have cut in everywhere on the planet my friend, there is still a lot of learning to be had! Additionally, I am not really sure what makes your opinion the end all in timberfalling knowledge? Please let me know.
By definition a faller takes risk just by being a faller. I probably take a little more than the average guy, but it is calculated and well thought out.. I show things that are possible, but it does not mean everyone should try it. Sometimes a maneuver has to be made you would rather not so the strip comes out right. I do not do to many things by accident any more..
Just because you never tried a move, seen it done before, or heard about it does not mean it is dumb or foolish. The guy doing it needs to make that determination and weigh it out > it is his life.
For the record: You first plumb a tree 90 degrees from where you want it to go. If it leans in the desired direction it is called head lean. If it does not lean the way you want it to go it is called back lean. The only other place you plumb from is 180 degrees from the way you want it to go unless the limbs (rare) make it so you can not see the bole. You would, at that point, plumb from where you want it to go.
If you have any more comments about my style I would appreciate them being directed toward me instead of randomly on this site or some other, because essentially it is behind my back if they are not.
Thanks and have a nice day!
Jack

Well it took a while but I finally have something to say. First, that was worse than bad. Second, don't let that speak for all N.P.S. fallers some of us know better than that. Around here in yose-mite cuts like that will kill you. A few really good fallers and climbers around these parts. Don't let this guy speak for the rest of us.

So Have we ever worked around each other.???
Things always look different when you are standing there...
Unless you have cut in everywhere on the planet my friend, there is still a lot of learning to be had! Additionally, I am not really sure what makes your opinion the end all in timberfalling knowledge? Please let me know.
By definition a faller takes risk just by being a faller. I probably take a little more than the average guy, but it is calculated and well thought out.. I show things that are possible, but it does not mean everyone should try it. Sometimes a maneuver has to be made you would rather not so the strip comes out right. I do not do to many things by accident any more..
Just because you never tried a move, seen it done before, or heard about it does not mean it is dumb or foolish. The guy doing it needs to make that determination and weigh it out > it is his life.
For the record: You first plumb a tree 90 degrees from where you want it to go. If it leans in the desired direction it is called head lean. If it does not lean the way you want it to go it is called back lean. The only other place you plumb from is 180 degrees from the way you want it to go unless the limbs (rare) make it so you can not see the bole. You would, at that point, plumb from where you want it to go.
If you have any more comments about my style I would appreciate them being directed toward me instead of randomly on this site or some other, because essentially it is behind my back if they are not.
Thanks and have a nice day!
Jack

I agree that there's always a lot of learning to be had in this job, and I've cut timber in every state west of the Miss., Alaska, and Canada. I'm still learning constantly and don't fool myself into thinking that I'm the be-all end-all of anything. However, when you post videos of yourself on the internet, in fun and for entertainment, you open yourself up for criticism. That's just the way of life, human nature, and the internet. I face the same thing every time I teach a saw handling and falling class or when I certify students as fallers (in both government and private industry.)

The reason I post the comments that I do here is because young guys see your videos and fall in love with what you're doing and how you conduct yourself. Then they want to be like you and do the things you're doing, as evidenced by the way they talk about it, the copycat videos I see, and people asking me if these techniques really work "well I saw hotsaws101 doing it", etc. etc. Part of keeping young log cutters healthy is teaching them patience, finesse, and not to be too aggressive for their skill level.

As far as posting randomly on this site or any other, you were always welcome to join the discussion here and it's good that you're here now. This is the biggest forum and open discussion on the internet (as far as I know) on forestry and tree service related issues. The comments here are seen by tens of thousands of people every day. It's important that a professional manner be maintained.

As far as head lean, back lean, and side lean go- How those and other terms are used in your area doesn't mean they're universal. Northern California is nice, but it's not the whole world. :)

Well it took a while but I finally have something to say. First, that was worse than bad. Second, don't let that speak for all N.P.S. fallers some of us know better than that. Around here in yose-mite cuts like that will kill you. A few really good fallers and climbers around these parts. Don't let this guy speak for the rest of us.

I don't know that we even really know what's going on in the picture for sure...

I agree that there's always a lot of learning to be had in this job, and I've cut timber in every state west of the Miss., Alaska, and Canada. I'm still learning constantly and don't fool myself into thinking that I'm the be-all end-all of anything. However, when you post videos of yourself on the internet, in fun and for entertainment, you open yourself up for criticism. That's just the way of life, human nature, and the internet. I face the same thing every time I teach a saw handling and falling class or when I certify students as fallers (in both government and private industry.)

The reason I post the comments that I do here is because young guys see your videos and fall in love with what you're doing and how you conduct yourself. Then they want to be like you and do the things you're doing, as evidenced by the way they talk about it, the copycat videos I see, and people asking me if these techniques really work "well I saw hotsaws101 doing it", etc. etc. Part of keeping young log cutters healthy is teaching them patience, finesse, and not to be too aggressive for their skill level.

As far as posting randomly on this site or any other, you were always welcome to join the discussion here and it's good that you're here now. This is the biggest forum and open discussion on the internet (as far as I know) on forestry and tree service related issues. The comments here are seen by tens of thousands of people every day. It's important that a professional manner be maintained.

As far as head lean, back lean, and side lean go- How those and other terms are used in your area doesn't mean they're universal. Northern California is nice, but it's not the whole world. :)

JJ you forgot Hawaii :greenchainsaw::cheers:

O.K. maybe I kinda made myself seem a little like a jerk or a little arrogant but that's not how meant to sound.I got a little defensive when everybody was saying how parkies suck. I take great pride in my job and where I work.Anyhoo what I was prolly trying to say is that where you are at is going to have a huge influence on how you cut. We cut decent size stuff quite often. Doesn't mean I'm or we are the greatest there ever was maybe just that I haven't seen a cut like that.Kinda seems like a waste of gas and sweat to face a tree like that. The only true bash on this thread is yes we do wear polyester but it's free polyester. So cheers and happy cutting.

No way polyeeester stinks way worse when you sweat,its cold in the winter and hot in the summer and makes you look way more official.

Latest posts

Back