Not quite what I intended

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Timber

1/4 bubble off
Reaction score
There was a couple lots in an auction I put decent bids on and ended up not getting. I threw a $10 on this one for giggles since I figured I'd be making the trip anyway. Ended up only getting the incidental stuff for $12 out the door. Never went to the inspection either, so these could be absolute junk or roughly treated decent heads. I'll find out tomorrow when I pick them up. :cool:

If it turns out to have a decent ring, I'll be needing a handle for the maul. I doubt I'll do anything with the shakehatchet heads.jpg hatchet, but the kent one might get new wood too. Suggestions on where to get replacements?

Looks like quite the grab bag. Nosmo that looks like safety glasses to me.

Oil filter wrench is defiantly the best part lol

Sent from the shitter, the only place it get to read arboristsite!

Oil filter wrench was the best part. lol It's a craftsman and it fit's my trucks filter. :rock:

The bagged item in question was safety glasses - green tint, and scratched right in the line of sight. (tossed)

The shake hatchet head is beat to snot. :( Not repairable.

IMAG1001.jpg

The maul head is Chinese. :( It's forged anyway. :rolleyes:

The right handed hatchet is a Marshall Wells Zenith, and looks to be fixable. There's a crack that radiates forward from the broken corner which makes me a little nervous, but I'll look into how to properly address that.

IMAG0998.jpg

IMAG0999.jpg

I made out better than another guy I ran into. He bought a lot for a bronze sundial it had in it, and the owner came an snaked it today before he could pick it up. So now he's hauling a bunch of worthless crap and didn't even get what he bid on. :buttkick:

He'd obviously been dropped on his head at some point. The edges on these are round as can be. :(

At least it gives me a sacrificial part to practice welding on to see what I need to do for the good one.

Looks like a great way to blow ten bucks ...at least you had fun guessing ,it was probably more wise than buying a lotto ticket or two packs of cigarettes

Well, I got a hatchet, a maul, plus a oil filter wrench I'd (honestly) been meaning to buy - for $30. The extra 18 is from the handles.

I also got to take one last walk through one of the best hardware stores on earth before it turns into a zoo as they liquidate inventory and close. That's where I got my handles from. I've been going to Seven Corner's since the ripe age of 5. My dad used to take me there Saturday mornings when he was building projects, and I hated it most of the time because I wanted to watch cartoons. As I got older, I learned the value of the place though, as they didn't always have the best price, but they usually had the odd stuff no one else carried. So you might pay a little extra, but you could get it that day if you needed it. Stuff like fine thread taps, and they had a sweet tool repair department for drill variable speed switches, and the planetary gears I used to be real good at breaking. The owners are all in CA these days and the development money is too great to resist, so they're shuttering it and the wrecking ball will come soon after I'm sure. 20 full time employees who didn't look at you like you had a dink sticking out of your head if you asked if they had a "dohicky with a thingamabob on it that fit a whatchamacallit?" They were old school and knew exactly what you meant. I'm going to miss that place.

The maul and hatchet are assembled now. Since I'm still supposed to be pretending I'm one handed (from elbow surgery last week), I didn't play around too much, but from what I can tell the maul is going to work nicely (took an edge easily, and falls in line with the bit when swung - that's all I ask for). The hatchet head doesn't sit quite right on the cheap handle I got for it (partly due to my shaping of the insert, and partly due to the angle of the hole), but I'll probably only use that thing for splitting rings off black ash anyway. I'm not going to bother welding up the striking face on it. The shake one is in the trash.

Hinges are added to some others I've been collecting for deer stands and sheds.

I've done worse at auctions before, but I've also done a lot better. :cool: Having seen the state of the other stuff at this place, I'm quite pleased with how little I came home with. :laugh:

I don't smoke unless I'm on fire. I try to avoid that. :p

Back