Not really firewood, but rather wood related

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
Fellow firewood scroungers,

I am looking to try to grow some trees here.

I will gladly pay shipping if you could send me some tree seeds.

Walnut/Black walnut, Hickory, ect..

Does it freeze by you in winter? Because there is a whole process that needs to take place in order for the nuts to germinate the next spring. Or you could keep them in sand in the fridge for like 4 months.

I've grown quite a few black walnut trees from seed. It's pretty easy. I planted them basically in a garden let them grow for a year then transplanted. Also laid a roll of chicken wire over them till they come up so the squirrel s don't dig um up. That's the problem with direct seeding. Deer dig them up too.

I've also planted trees from seed.
I simply put acorns under a couple inches of soil in the fall, three acorns to a hill, five hills (one Red Oak, two White, two Burr)... the next spring all fifteen sprouted.
I thinned each to one tree (the strongest), but the deer/rabbits got four of them the next winter... had to keep the one remaining protected by chicken wire for three years.
It's not lookin' to be a great mast year for the oaks, but I could likely find a few good ones in about 6-8 weeks or so.
Oh... and the Black Maples (they're beautiful trees) should be droppin' seed about then also.

You sure you don't want some mulberry, silver maple, thorny locust and siberian elm seedlings instead??? :rolleyes: I never seem to run out of them.

Mulberry, give a decent wet location, would be my first choice in planting trees for firewood (and food). Once grown, cut off, resprouts heavy. love it.

No idea if it would grow at higher elevations in the southwest.

Stratification and scarification. Was trying to think of the term stratification all day thanks to this thread. Basically the nut has to go through a cold period, and scarification is basically the weakening of the hard outer shell. A wet spring will do this. In a nutshell, pun intended, it has to spend a winter underground in order to germinate. So don't put them in a pot in your house when you get them and expect them to come up.

There are vendors online that specialize in this area... you should be able to find seeds very cheap that are ready to plant now.. I was looking at Japanese maple seeds last year and there were listings for $.01 to $.05 a seed.. that is for an exotic tree.. others should be cheaper.. there are also rooted cuttings that are only 1 or 2 dollars each or you can make your own rooted cuttings from local trees.. one advantage to this method is you know exactly what you are growing. good luck and keep us updated

No idea if it would grow at higher elevations in the southwest.

Yeah, that's the big question for most of the tree species mentioned... but experimentation is still fun, and what's to lose other than a little time. The overall climate (the long-term 12 month cycle) will likely be more the limiting factor than soil; most trees, even though they prefer a certain type for best growing, can adapt to soil conditions with a little human help... but not so much for climate and seasonal cycles, humans just can't offset the lack of that.

You may have pretty god luck with the Bur Oak... as it is a extremely hardy tree that extends into Texas. I don't believe the Red Oak or White Oak will make it, they're just more picky about moisture and climate... but ya' never know. I'm pretty sure the Black Maple (and the Sugar Maple) won't survive either, they require a certain spring condition that just won't be found in the southwest, even at higher elevations... but there ain't no harm in trying, and 100 seeds would fit in a sandwich baggy.

For those with an interest in propagation of trees from seeds the the US Forest Service has an excellent reference book on the subject. The USDA Woody Plant Manual, you can buy it if you wish but very expensive they offer all the chapters in PDF format which is my perferred way. Those of us that burn wood and promote its use may want to propagate some trees from the 'free' seeds that fall every year.

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/nsl_wpsm.html

If your N. AZ soil is anything like that around Overgaard, you'll need to work on it too. I found it lacking in organics. You might start some composting. I didn't plant any trees--I did thin the mess in my yard.
I actually grew up in Heber, now I live in Holbrook.
There in Heber the soil is more Limestone, here in Holbrook the soil is mostly layers of Sandstone.

Back