Not trying to stir the pot, what OCTANE gas do you run in your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Webster said:
motor
24 entries found for motor. The first 10 are listed below.
To select an entry, click on it. For more results, click here.

Main Entry: 1mo·tor
Pronunciation: 'mO-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from movEre to move
1 : one that imparts motion; specifically : PRIME MOVER
2 : any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
3 : MOTOR VEHICLE; especially : AUTOMOBILE
Emphasis added.

Damn Spacemule... It's taken me 25 years to stop saying "motor" (when the audience expects me to say "engine") and now you undoing all my hard work:D

Many many years ago as a teen, I had a small lawn business and in the summer would have horrendous vapor lock issues with all my small equipment. Once I started using premium for my mix gas, those problems all but vanished. I'll use regular once in a while but I normally use premium for my mix gas. Also, premium will still run great when it's 60 days old, regular won't.

Ben, this is just my opinion and my experience. Please do not tell me why I am wrong, I do not care. :rolleyes:

Skwerl's experience makes sense. Some of you all know that gas loses an average of 3 points off its octane rating within 30 days. This explains why the 93 mix is still god after 60 days(it's still 87 or better) whereas 87 is probably closer to 81. My Stihl manuals recommend 89 octane or higher and that's what I try to stick with...not religiously though.

Always 93 octane. Whether or not it will truely make a difference over the life of the saw (vs 87)......I don't know for sure. It makes me feel better though and that's enough reason for me.

Run the best you can find is how I've always done it, especially on this piece of rock as most of the regular gas is full of water (I actually joined this site because of the wonderful experience I had with my poor little saw mixing it up with regular, wotta fkn mess, mindja the Toyota eats it right up between pops 'n' farts), if the gas is a little too hot I've found that a wee tad more mix-oil will do the trick, is this a stupid thing? Dunno, but my old beast runs fine when I spend the extra pennies, high octane here is around 93(cdn standards) I think. I'd stop short of 'av-gas' though :p
My .02 worth, and oh, Happy Year thingy!

For work: I run the cheap stuff. There is never any alcohol.

For fun: I've found the octane rating of alcohol boosts the low octane rating of Nitro. Just my $15 a gallon.

Fred

As it pertains to the subject of octane,,,,,

bwalker said:
They are not the same thing. Two totaly differant phenomenon.

Ben

Maybe I'm not fallowing you here, as it pertains to the subject of octane.

What are your views? or ideas?

As I see it, any type pre-ignition could cause detanation. And detanation could cause pre-ignition,,,,,, how far am I off base on this?

Kevin

Latest posts

Back