Now I want a bigger saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriCountyLawn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
For any newbies on this site here is how this addiction works:greenchainsaw:

I started with a 361 and im very happy with it. Decided I really wanted somthing smaller for small limbs ect. I was set on a 260 and walked away with a 192T (super light easy on my back). Now I still want a 260 but im feeling the need for a big saw.

Other day I was cutting some 30" dia red oak and the 361 performed very well. The 20" bar was a lil tight where there were knots in the way however it pulls the 20"bar fine IMO. Alot of pepole have recomended modding the 361 and keeping a bigger bar around for when i need it. Im not real big on modding stuff. I typicly just buy a big enough tool that I dont need to mod to make perform. Besides, modding my 361 wont put another saw on the shelf.

So I want somthing that will pull a 28"-32"ish chain. A brand new saw isnt really an option and I would like to go about this saw being somewhat pocketbook savy. It would be cool to get another Stihl however echo saws have my attention as we use Echo blowers and trimmers.

I guees the bottom line is that the 361 has outcut every saw its been up against. I know this day will come to an end someday so before that happens I want a big saw......can you say childish?

So how would u guys go about this? :monkey:

As I explained to my girlfriend why I have so many chain saws, since I don't cut a whole lot of wood. I'd love to have a hot rod, motorcycle or some other motorsports related hobby, but with gas prices and cost of those projects puts them out of reach I went with collecting and fixing chainsaws. Since it is relatively affordable and feeds my need to work on something loud and dangerous without as much risk involved. For all of my saws I own I might have 750$ invested, which couldn't buy me anything but a beat up high milage bike or some crappy used car. So collecting saws keeps me off the street and relatively out of trouble.

For any newbies on this site here is how this addiction works:greenchainsaw:

I started with a 361 and im very happy with it. Decided I really wanted somthing smaller for small limbs ect. I was set on a 260 and walked away with a 192T (super light easy on my back). Now I still want a 260 but im feeling the need for a big saw. <snip>

So I want somthing that will pull a 28"-32"ish chain. A brand new saw isnt really an option and I would like to go about this saw being somewhat pocketbook savy. It would be cool to get another Stihl however echo saws have my attention as we use Echo blowers and trimmers.

I guees the bottom line is that the 361 has outcut every saw its been up against. I know this day will come to an end someday so before that happens I want a big saw......can you say childish?

So how would u guys go about this? :monkey:

I like the smaller Echo saws:chainsaw: , but since you want MORE than a Stihl 361, don't recommend a bigger Echo. I'm sure that they're reliable enough, but won't have the power or power to weight ratio you're looking for. The Echo 670 and 8000s aren't inexpensive, so consider a used Stihl 044/440 046/460 or 066. Husqvarna 372s and larger also come to mind. My 066 Magnum with new P/C, new 25" bar and chain cost me about what a new Echo 670 would have cost at the local dealer. At 92cc it has more HP than the 80cc Echo, is lighter, and cost less. The Stihls and Husqvarna/Jonsereds will have better resale value as well.

There are some used Jonsereds on Ebay as we speak. I think a couple of 2171s and a couple of larger saws. There are always Stihl 044s and 066s, and usually some big Husqvarnas.:chainsawguy:

So it sounds like a used 066 660 is the way im going to want to go. So whats a good price for a used one? How hard are these to rebuild ect. Im not opposed to putting one together from parts.

I know it's hard to do, when you have the want's. But when looking for a used saw (or any thing for that matter). Take your time, good saws, at good
prices are out there, it just takes a little time to find them.

If your saying a new big saw is out of the question, and your not into modding, I'm going to assume your not into fixing either. Then I wouldn't be looking at a used Stihl, unless you can find one that you can run before you buy-it. Used Stihls go for crazy money on E-bay. And I'm sure there are some good ones, but I see many that are clapped out and dressed up going for way to much. I see 4 paws veiwing your thread, so I'll beat him to it. Google Efco and look for a 181 or a 981. I,ve seen new ones out there for a little over 5 bills. They are awsome saws. If you have dealer support in your area all the better. If you look for one pm me and I can point you to some bargains that I found this winter.

The 361 actually is the only Stihl I want - as it acts like a Husky xp, and is better than what Husky offer in that size - but the 660 and 200 probably is pretty good as well.....LOL

I have no problems fixing up a saw and would like to go that route with a bigger saw. Not big on modding stuff as i normaly just get the size of machine/tool I need if that makes any sense? lol

:clap:

most here have more than that in one saw.

:cheers:

Working a shop has it's advantages. All of my saws are rebuilds everything from piston and cylinders to my MS250 that got run over by a tractor and needed a new handle. I picked up an 084 today and all it needs is a clutch cover and the wiring cleaned up with 21" and 28" bars for it.

As I explained to my girlfriend why I have so many chain saws, since I don't cut a whole lot of wood. I'd love to have a hot rod, motorcycle or some other motorsports related hobby, but with gas prices and cost of those projects puts them out of reach I went with collecting and fixing chainsaws. Since it is relatively affordable and feeds my need to work on something loud and dangerous without as much risk involved. For all of my saws I own I might have 750$ invested, which couldn't buy me anything but a beat up high milage bike or some crappy used car. So collecting saws keeps me off the street and relatively out of trouble.

I really like your logic-it puts my thoughts into words. Now I gotta try it on my wife. Keep your fingers crossed - I really want a 460. LOL :jawdrop:

Back