oak tree trimming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markct

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
heres a few pics my friends wife took while we were trimming some branches on there oak tree that were dead and some that had other issues.

hmmm ooops didnt realize that was likely to cause a problem, i guess its realy not a big deal since he kinda would like to take the whole tree down, but we figured for now we would take off the ones that were dead, especialy the ones hanging over where they park there cars. altho of course the largest limb we took off further down was alive, but just grew way out from the tree compared to the rest, and had a bad spot halfway out which appears it broke and rehealed when it was younger. i hope i didnt screw up too bad! im no arborist by anymeans. what is the appropriote time of year to prune an oak, or any tree for that matter, and does this only apply to big branches? i would assume dead wood can come off any time of year right? i never gave the time of year much thought as the power company trims pretty much year round, altho they usualy dont care as much about tree health, but at the same time they took alot of huge limbs off one side our oak and ash trees mid summer a few years ago and they seem to be fine, maybe just luck.

Last edited:
i like fall or winter.

i have never had a problem doing it in the spring or early summer though.i don't like doing live limbs July through Sept when it's usually hot as blazes.

hmmm ooops didnt realize that was likely to cause a problem, i guess its realy not a big deal since he kinda would like to take the whole tree down, but we figured for now we would take off the ones that were dead, especialy the ones hanging over where they park there cars. altho of course the largest limb we took off further down was alive, but just grew way out from the tree compared to the rest, and had a bad spot halfway out which appears it broke and rehealed when it was younger. i hope i didnt screw up too bad! im no arborist by anymeans. what is the appropriote time of year to prune an oak, or any tree for that matter, and does this only apply to big branches? i would assume dead wood can come off any time of year right? i never gave the time of year much thought as the power company trims pretty much year round, altho they usualy dont care as much about tree health, but at the same time they took alot of huge limbs off one side our oak and ash trees mid summer a few years ago and they seem to be fine, maybe just luck.

Early spring when buds are starting to swell they are prone to damage after leaf break trimming resumes for me. I will trim after leaf's are on but try to take it light. I noticed you have those new safety contact lenses I sure wish I could afford those. Mature trees need very light trimming maintenance only if pruned correctly in thier early stages of life! Structural trimming of mature trees is not recommended as mature trees don't enjoy their arms cut off lol. I try to just deadwood light crown clean maintenance type pruning.

thanks for the replies, i know i dont have all the proper ppe, but atleast my head is protected, and i know its hard to tell in the picture but i am wearing glasses

I'm with rope, I don't like to do any structural pruning on mature trees. I take the dead out and do a light prune to clean and maintain. It's hard on the tree when you take a large leader off the bottom like that, changes the structure of the tree and can make it structurally unsound. Where that large leader was taken off the root is going to die back, make the tree heavier on one side and less rooted on the other. You need to be mindful of that for future removal.

tree md i get what you are saying about the large branch i cut off the side, ya cant see it in the picture where the branch is on the ground, but about 10 ft out on the branch there was a spot where it had broke and kinda rehealed, but had a big kinda change of angle where the branch headed down towards the ground, and there was some rot in this spot altho further out the branch had leaves so it wasnt all dead, what would have been the better approach, should i have cut the branch out further right before the rot? or just left the branch alone? we didnt like the idea of such a large branch hanging out there with a flaw like that in it right over the front yard like that so that was why we took it down, altho maybe not the right choice. i dont mean to be argumentive here, just want to know what i should do different in the future. i suppose i shoulda took some pics and posted them asking these questions before we started cutting!

tree md i get what you are saying about the large branch i cut off the side, ya cant see it in the picture where the branch is on the ground, but about 10 ft out on the branch there was a spot where it had broke and kinda rehealed, but had a big kinda change of angle where the branch headed down towards the ground, and there was some rot in this spot altho further out the branch had leaves so it wasnt all dead, what would have been the better approach, should i have cut the branch out further right before the rot? or just left the branch alone? we didnt like the idea of such a large branch hanging out there with a flaw like that in it right over the front yard like that so that was why we took it down, altho maybe not the right choice. i dont mean to be argumentive here, just want to know what i should do different in the future. i suppose i shoulda took some pics and posted them asking these questions before we started cutting!

Hard to say without seeing.

This is from the ISA's website:

Reduction reduces the size of a tree, often for clear- ance for utility lines. Reducing the height or spread of a tree is best accomplished by pruning back the leaders and branch terminals to lateral branches that are large enough to assume the terminal roles (at least one-third the diameter of the cut stem). Compared to topping, reduction helps maintain the form and structural integrity of the tree.

Basically you would want to cut back behind the flaw to the next live branch (preferably at least 1/3 the diameter of the stem) so it has an avenue to grow. That is provided there is enough behind the flaw to save.

It is explained at this site a lot better than I can articulate:

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/pruning_mature.aspx

Sounds like you had a good reason to prune the limb which is the first rule of pruning. Just have to remember that making pruning cuts can have serious and sometimes detrimental consequences to the tree.

Lots of good info in the link I provided.

Mark sometimes just taking the dead off and a little weight reduces the likelihood of failure.
I have made many cuts I am not proud of as most tree men do in reflection. The fact is; we trim them to suit our needs but when we can combine that with knowledge,experience a beautiful result can more often than not be the result. If you don't have the ansi standards
I recommend you purchase them and refer to them for reference. I have learned over the years to always ask myself why am I going to make this cut and if the answer is not obvious then I elect a different route. Your on the right path at least their was a reason for your efforts:cheers:

thanks for the link, some good info on that site. well time will tell how the tree does i suppose!

i was told not to prune oaks untill late fall/winter paint any cut over 1"

because of oak wilt but someone else told me oak wilt only effects red oaks.

Last edited:
yea i think it may have been backfilled at one time, but the road next to it and the yard were done in about the late 60s or early 70s so it seems to have survived ok

Back