oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends on the oak

red oak has a distinctive smell and is known by some as "stink oak"
white and black have smells but not near as noticeable as red

some people love it
some people hate it

I can tell you that if I bring in freshly split red oak into my basement, it makes the house smell like rotten garbage
I am not a big fan of the smell, but that doesn't keep me from cutting, splitting, burning it :clap:

I love the smell. Much better than what I've been dealing with lately, cottonwood (smells like horse poop) and American elm (not as bad, but a kind of sickly sweet fermenting odor, reminds me of corn silage fresh out of the silo).

Cherry is the only wood I cut with a better smell than red oak.

Some say black oak smells like vomit. I, for one, like it. But I would much prefer the scent of fir, pine or redwood.

The best!

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 258909View attachment 258910

Red oak is my favorite smell of all the woods. Even better than cherry! Especially the smell of it when it burns. When that smell of red oak is gone, it is ready for the stove! It's obviously my favorite wood to burn. KD

Red oak smell great to me, I love it, the fresher the better. If it sits too long before you split, it starts to get a funk to it.
Post oak doesn’t smell as good to me as the red.
Water oak stinks to me.
Bur oak smells a lot like post oak.

a friend up from the "city" once told me, "there aint nothing here but cow #### and dandtlions, how can you stand the smell".smells like freedom to me.

Lost my sense of smell about 7 years ago ... but remember the fine aroma of fresh cut and split red oak well :rock: Really miss that smell :bang:

I have been traumatized by the smell of oak, chills, cold sweat muscle aches, etc etc....
054.jpg

004-2.jpg

Cows and cow crap stinks, even to this old country boy.
Horses and horse crap smells much better.
I even like the “light” sent of a skunk.lol

The red oak down here is a little different than the northern red oak. Freshly cut it has a very distinctive pleasant aroma which is UN like any of the others.

Back