Oh 64 rebuild.... On the cheap.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagnerwerks

The underdog..
Reaction score
Well, those of you who know me on here know two things about me. I'm super A.D.D and I'm cheap. Saws are really great for add guys because no matter what they need, it doesn't take long to rebuild one. In addition to that, every one is a little bit different.

Soooo... Enter my new to me 064. I picked this gem up for twenty bucks along with a super clean s25da and a mini mac. I was going to flip it, but cad bit and someone offered some of the big bits to build it (thanks Keith and Dan). Now I have a cart full of little parts at a non sponsor website and I'll be putting this ole girl back in service. I needed to find out a few things so I figured starting a build thread would be the best bet to get all the info I need.

Question 1. What case gasket does this use? Is it the same as the 066?
2. Is there anyone selling a decent set of aftermarket bearings? I've seen sets for 20-30 bucks for china jobbies, but that sucks coming from the husky world were I can buy a sleeve of 10 for 12 bucks. What's my options?
3. Edit. The dryer is fixed.

Thanks in advance guys. More Pics will follow... I promise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 224
It is a mag cover. I'm not a stihl man so that means little to me. I'm assuming it's an early one?

Blue hair?

I cleaned up the jug, but she has some pretty deep scratches. Another member is sending me a cylinder of unknown porting that should fix me up. I already tore it all down as I can never wait to scrub them up to see what I got. Lol. It doesn't has any broken pieces that I can find. Not even the grill on the starter.

I'm planning on painting her up. Anyone have a thread to stihl colors? I have some white that's pretty close from a car spray job I did a while back. Any idea on the orange?

All old women have blue-ish hair. So anything old is "ole blue-hair". Never heard that?
Lol. I thought there might be more to it... She does look old.

This saw was actually owed by a guy I know. He's not easy on his tools so I'm sure she has a few serious hours on her.

Lol. I thought there might be more to it... She does look old.

This saw was actually owed by a guy I know. He's not easy on his tools so I'm sure she has a few serious hours on her.
A woman with hours on her is called 'experienced' in MY book :)

I'm planning on painting her up. Anyone have a thread to stihl colors? I have some white that's pretty close from a car spray job I did a while back. Any idea on the orange?
Do not waste your time and effort with Stihl paint. It'll looks worse than it does in very short order. It has no fuel resistance at all, even if baked. Your best off to go to the automotive paint store and have some single stage, hardened, machine enamel custom mixed for it. Take a newer clutch cover to scan for color. If you don't spray with a gun, go with Ford Grey from TSC. Good luck with the rebuild!

The tank breather was crusty. .I actually grew up in a body shop so I'm all over that. The white I have is DuPont single stage acrylic urethane.

The gasket is the same for early 066 064

The best thing to paint is powder

If your at the gtg may 3rd youll see the 3 i did.

I think you can only get oem bearings for the clutch side
The flywheel side u can go cheapo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a powder coat setup, but the white I have here is bright white. What powder did you use?

The bearing.... I know they make aftermarket ones. There's a set at a non sponsor site for 30 bucks. I'm not even sure I need to do bearings and gasket. I just hate not to do them. Do you know the flywheel side number?

trust me, glock37 has the right **** to do it good. I have a set of 260cases thatll hopefully go to him someday... but that is a dream, and it isn't a priority as of now.

I would support sending the metal parts to him and getting them done correctly and color matched.

the 064 FW side bearing is a 6203 bearing. Get a good one, i run niachi or whatever they are when i can. I ran some chink ones and they wrecked the crank when it grenaded a week down the road. Its worth the extra coin to buy good bearings especially if they are pushing 13k RPMs in some applications.

I like the build already by the way!!!

Back