Oh crap!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a big day......tell me you used a crane, for 8 cut hanger off the stump...??? LIKE A ##### !!

lolol.. I did think of calling a few tree service friends for help at one point, but... then I'd have to eat crap for a year;)

Last edited:
lolol... I was just working on it... I have several spare tips, but I put them somewhere safe... grrrr...

The bar is fine.. the chain is toast (yes, I could mess with it, but to heck with it...).

attachment.php

Last edited:
doesn't it burn? why is it so undesireable?

Oh, it burns.... but so quickly I think it actually produces negative net thermal energy, something to do with adiabatic atmospheric something or other....

(not really, but it produces so little heat that you are warmed only twice by it: Once when you cut and haul it, and once when you split and stack it.)

lolol... I was just working on it... I have serveral spare tips, but I put them somewhere safe... grrrr...

The bar is fine.. the chain is toast (yes, I could mess with it, but to heck with it...).

attachment.php

That's an easy fix. Grasp the old tip firmly in whichever hand isn't holding a beer, step to the door of the shop, open door, throw old tip into dumpster.
Then, since you'll need two hands to install new tip, finish beer. :givebeer:

There are lots of big cottonwoods in this part of the country and Bill G mentioned. Some are used to make pallets and such, light weight when dried but pretty tough stuff. Lousy firewood and the coarse, thick bark hold so much dust and dirt that it dull chains in an unbelievably short time.

Sometimes it will be used as the core material for hardwood plywood, interior components for furniture, etc.

I think the cant we were cutting in Baraboo was cottonwood. Maybe that is the best use possible?

Mark

Oh, by the way, I did that to a bar once a long time ago. Pinched in a limb I was removing; to my good fortune I was a one saw man at the time so no choice but to remove the bar, install another on the saw, finish taking off the limb but stupid me, cut it behind the pinched bar so the bar fell with the limb and similar results except not at the tip, bar became scrap iron.

Mark

Sounds like a big day......tell me you used a crane, for 8 cut hanger off the stump...??? LIKE A ##### !!

nope, Andy slash cut it....allows the tree to be shortened whilst still hung up.

Last edited:
lolol.. I did think of calling a few tree service friends for help at one point, but... then I'd have to eat crap for a year;)

Hmmm....I've heard of a couple fellas.....

sure glad you got it down safely with naught but a bent tippie....:clap:

yep... lucky. I didn't want to spend the 1 minute to take it off the bar.. :bang:

That will teach you! I did the same thing once, and only once. Bent the bar in the middle though (A GB, it bent right back in a vice). From then on, pinch a bar, remove the saw head without even thinking about it. Now second nature. You are lucky, you could have bent the crank!

Last edited:
The one cottonwood I tried to use would not split either with a splitter or by hand, even after drying for a year and cutting the rounds in half (8"). There just isn't many trees out here except for willow with some pine/spruce in the canyons. I'll burn anything but won't even slow down to look at a cottonwood.

Harry K

The 30" logs we cut up here at the log shows with the hot saws are usually Cottonwood...

After making only 4 or 5 cuts all weekend long... you smell like cat pi$$ for the entire weekend...

Gary

Latest posts

Back