Oh No - Not again!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way Bob tell your insurance he may have been texting, they can get the phone company records and pretty much prove it with timestamps correlation.
If thats what he was doing,:chainsaw: someone needs to teach that SOB a lesson.

By the way Bob tell your insurance he may have been texting, they can get the phone company records and pretty much prove it with timestamps correlation.
If thats what he was doing,:chainsaw: someone needs to teach that SOB a lesson.

I did tell them they said its hard to prove since the phone company only records when the texts are sent - if he was in the middle of writing a long text (and I have many text messages from the driver and he does tend to go on and on) then they can't tell when it was done.

Well, 5 weeks later, after dozens of phone calls and letters to my insurance company, this is finally sorted. First they said the van was going to be written off but wouldn't give me an official OK till their expert assessor looked at it. After 3 weeks the expert assessor said it was repairable but then I found out (due to backlogs from a major hailstorm in March) it would take 3 months to repair! So after a protracted argument they agreed to write it off last week and I can now finally look for a new Van. That's why I haven't been posting much in the last few days.

BobL
Whatya think of those euro style dodge/freight liner type vans? I've been seeing more and more in my area - even some local contractors are using them now. They even have heavy versions with dual rears, though I guess that probably wouldn't work for you - you mentioned driveway space being a concern?
I sincerely hope 2011 is a better year for you. I did have car troubles of my own this year - my old trusty 1992 chevy silverado 1500 had a run-in with a deer. The deer, which was covered in wart-like growths didn't make it. My truck needed serious repairs. I opted to sell it to a friend and used the deer crash as an excuse to upgrade. I got myself a 2004 silverado 2500 hd.
Silver lining in the clouds after all.
Happy hunting!
Lou

BobL
Whatya think of those euro style dodge/freight liner type vans? I've been seeing more and more in my area - even some local contractors are using them now. They even have heavy versions with dual rears, though I guess that probably wouldn't work for you - you mentioned driveway space being a concern?
I like those vans a lot. For example, the Fiat Ducato has has some good reviews. It has medium size (3L) turbo diesel that gets very good fuel economy for such a large vehicle, goes 27,000 miles between services and has a 2 ton payload, but the smallest one is 17.75' long and unfortunately I have an absolute drive way limit of 16.5' before my tail would hang out into the street and the local city ranger would give me a ticket. The other factor is width and they are very tall which I don't need. Teh other thing I don't like is the barn opening back door. When I go milling I often use the tail gate as a place to get out of the rain plus it's not in the way.

For this reason I'll probably stick to the smallest Hiace or similar. The smallest Hiace is 15.4' long and can still carry a ton. There's a 2008 model for sale about 10 miles away that I'm having checked out by a Mechanic tomorrow.

I sincerely hope 2011 is a better year for you. I did have car troubles of my own this year - my old trusty 1992 chevy silverado 1500 had a run-in with a deer.
That's too bad - I hope you have a better year as well.

For this reason I'll probably stick to the smallest Hiace or similar.

Bob,
I have to admit I'm not nor have been a fan of anything Asian made - have you seen the ford transit?

That's too bad - I hope you have a better year as well.

Thanks! It's already improved - I love my 2500 hd.

Bob,
I have to admit I'm not nor have been a fan of anything Asian made - have you seen the ford transit?

I loved my previous Hiace diesel which I had for 3 years. If it could have been repaired within a reasonable time I would have had it repaired.

Does Oz not have sprawling suburbs like Amerika ?
It sure does but we live 1 mile from city centre on our 1/6th of an acre. You can see how crowded our houses are in our 100 year old suburb. Our driveway has two car parking spots - mine is the green spot shown here.
attachment.php

Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing you back in action. It's been pretty slow around here lately.
It has been slow and I've been up to my neck in it at work.

Wow, that's cramped living. I can't stand seeing the few houses across the road from me with nothing on either side or behind me. I could not imagine having to look at my nieghbor everytime I turn around. Makes it even more impressive to see what you have been able to put togther out of your little shop.

Thanks for the bird's eye view, Bob. Why, there's enough room between houses for a man to walk, barely ! ! ! :dizzy:

Thats right there's a 4 ft wide pathway and a 2'6" wide gate down the left hand side of the house. Now you can see why I don't own a band saw mill or a Lucas mill. I could buy one and store it at the milling yard but then I couldn't work on them in the evenings. That's also why I have to have wheels on my mills to move them from my shop to the front of the house.

In this birdseye you can see how much space my current 10 x 16' wood/metal shop takes up (red rectangle). If the city council allows me I am going to build a second shop at right angles to the existing shop (blue) so I can double the size of my work space.

I just realized I didn't post the accompanying pic for this post so here it is;
attachment.php

In this birdseye you can see how much space my current 10 x 16' wood/metal shop takes up (red rectangle). If the city council allows me I am going to build a second shop at right angles to the existing shop (blue) so I can double the size of my work space.

Also I put a deposit on a 2008 Hiace diesel van with 37000 mile this evening - pick up is tomorrow or friday. Just in time for the silly season so no milling for a while yet !!

Also I put a deposit on a 2008 Hiace diesel van with 37000 mile this evening - pick up is tomorrow or friday. Just in time for the silly season so no milling for a while yet !!
Nice Xmas gift for yourself.:)

You'll be back to milling in no time, the holidays will be long gone and the trees will still be there...:cheers:

So very sorry to hear that Bob.
At least you weren't hurt by the bastard.
You really need to take him to court over this. An example needs to be set. Some irresponsible people think that they can just hop in a car and start driving, when all of us legit drivers pay these high auto costs and insurance premiums for what?
So we can be killed on the roadways by unlicensed, uninsured NON-drivers?
I think not. Go get a lawyer and sue, sue, sue.

Then go back to milling and have a good holiday season.
Take care out there.
(By the way. My uncle Malcolm Banfield lives in Perth)
~Stan Banfield

Last edited:
So very sorry to hear that Bob.
At least you weren't hurt by the bastard.
You really need to take him to court over this. An example needs to be set. Some irresponsible people think that they can just hop in a car and start driving, when all of us legit drivers pay these high auto costs and insurance premiums for what?
So we can be killed on the roadways by unlicensed, uninsured NON-drivers?
I think not. Go get a lawyer and sue, sue, sue.

Thanks for the sympathy Marine.

Re Suing the other driver:
I did get some legal advice and in about 30 seconds I worked out I have better things than spending a whole lot of time dealing with lawyers for the next X months, especially as I know the other driver has no money and he will soon be skipping back to his home country leaving me to cover my legal costs. Anyway I'm now kinda past that point because I sense justice being done - without me even spending a $ on legal costs the other driver has already dug a big hole for himself with his "take out insurance the day after the accident" company and the law.

I am keeping the photos of the damage on my iPhone and I do show folk who I know or see texting while driving what can happen.

When traveling back and forth from the shop I get into traffic alot. I see people texting, talking and when not they clutch their phones like a baby blanket. WTF has this planet come to when all everyone seems to be doing is talking? Guess I'm not a conformist. My motto? Shut the :censored: up and get something good done. If anything hang the :censored:phone up and pay attention to the:censored:road you imbecile! OK I'm fine now.

BobL

Just came across this thread.I hope you are healing up well.Sad to see when one of our AS guy's takes a bit of a licking.But your just like a Timex you keep on ticking.Good health to you!
Lawrence

Just came across this thread.I hope you are healing up well.Sad to see when one of our AS guy's takes a bit of a licking.But your just like a Timex you keep on ticking.Good health to you!
Lawrence

Thanks Lawerence.

This morning I picked up the 2008 Toyota Hiace.
attachment.php

3 Litre, common rail turbo diesel that pulls like a mule and does about 32 mpg.

But this is why I like this van.
attachment.php

212 cubic ft of closed space.

Now I have to back fit all the extras I had on my old van.
:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back