Oh No - Not again!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks Good

Congratulations on the newly acquired van Bob.Don't know if they have those in Canada or not.I do see lots of those new Ford jobs and those high roof Dodge vans are everywhere.
Lawrence

Bob just what do you mean back fit. What kind of stuff did you have in the other van . PICTURES we need pictures . I got a boom on my 78 ford club cab 250 thats mounted to bumper where i can pick up 500 or so and swing in to the bed youll like it got a 1500 lb winch on top and ball berrings. but you can lock up and keep dry.

Bob just what do you mean back fit. What kind of stuff did you have in the other van . PICTURES we need pictures . I got a boom on my 78 ford club cab 250 thats mounted to bumper where i can pick up 500 or so and swing in to the bed youll like it got a 1500 lb winch on top and ball berrings. but you can lock up and keep dry.

Nah, nothing fancy related directly to milling. I'm talking about stuff like roof racks, internal tie down rails, reversing camera and monitor.

I also want to upholster the crappy mdf side panels with carpet as it really helped reduce the noise on the old van. I also need to fit a rubber floor for when the saw and aux oilers take an oil dump.
attachment.php

Nah, nothing fancy related directly to milling. I'm talking about stuff like roof racks, internal tie down rails, reversing camera and monitor.

I also want to upholster the crappy mdf side panels with carpet as it really helped reduce the noise on the old van. I also need to fit a rubber floor for when the saw and aux oilers take an oil dump.
attachment.php

Dang, You are so lucky the previous owners stained the flooring with some sort of oily susbstance for you, so you wont lament the first battle wound on it yourself....

Sure wish we could get some of the offerings fromt eh Car makers, I really like that vehicle.

On the reality of Suing this dirtbag..... You may want to re-consider. Ask your counsel if there's a chance when you win the judgement, and even if he splits town, if later in his life, he wins a lottery or inherits big time money, would you be listed as a lein holder?

Nothing would be worse than he wins the powerball and you don't have the ability to make him pay his debt.

In the States, thats kind of how it goes. If you owe, and the person has the right claim filed, the Lotteries will ensure you get the pay out you are due, FIRST.

Around here he'd have a choice- concrete shoes and a shark feeding frenzy, or tied to a sow and cut loose in front of a pack of Pit bulls..... Just for suggesting I do something for HIM. Stacks of crisp bills might buy him some time, but Your time spent ####ing around wouldn't be free- he'd be paying for it one way or another.

A real **********- that guy.

Dang, You are so lucky the previous owners stained the flooring with some sort of oily susbstance for you, so you wont lament the first battle wound on it yourself....
Yeah very considerate of them.

On the reality of Suing this dirtbag..... You may want to re-consider. Ask your counsel if there's a chance when you win the judgement, and even if he splits town, if later in his life, he wins a lottery or inherits big time money, would you be listed as a lein holder?
My Lawyer says probability of winning case is high - probability of getting any money out of him is zero. Other driver is a foreigner with no money - as soon as it gets hot he will return to his home country - so, probability I have to pay my costs and get no money from this jerk - very likely.

Good work Bob, hopefully you will be back in business soon!

What's with the screen/mesh behind the seats? Unless you are planning on transporting pit bulls or alligators in the back and need the protection, are you planning to remove it?

My van back is eight feet long behind the seats, but if I slide stuff up between the seats I can fit in ten feet which is handy for my 10' long guide board as well as any 10' long slabs I may cut!

Dan

oh no not again

sorry to hear of your trouble . looks a great van though . comp insurance you pay they , fix . life goes on . if you bounce . glad it worked out for you , cheers Bob

Good work Bob, hopefully you will be back in business soon!

What's with the screen/mesh behind the seats? Unless you are planning on transporting pit bulls or alligators in the back and need the protection, are you planning to remove it?

My van back is eight feet long behind the seats, but if I slide stuff up between the seats I can fit in ten feet which is handy for my 10' long guide board as well as any 10' long slabs I may cut!

Thanks Dan - after driving t around I found it to be a quieter and more comfortable vehicle to drive so long country runs will be a bit easier to cope with.

I had the same cargo barrier in the other van and had often thought about removing it - or at least removing the middle section to allow for your suggestion but the though of some equipment I'd forgotten to tie down from the back barreling thru the van during an accident keeps me from removing it.

I don't have a flat section between the seats anyway as that is where the engine is.
The cargo compartment itself is 9'7" long and I can fit a couple of 11 ft pieces in on the diagonal if I have to but that is not always possible to do if the van is full of mills etc.

My 16' long log rails wouldn't fit inside anyway so they go on the roof rack.

What I might do is cut and install a removable hatch so the middle section or the cargo barrier can be removed or swung aside like a door way.

Last edited:
3 Litre, common rail turbo diesel that pulls like a mule and does about 32 mpg.

But this is why I like this van.
attachment.php

212 cubic ft of closed space.

Now I have to back fit all the extras I had on my old van.
:cheers:
Mr BobL good to see you have some wheels again!..Now we can look forward to your info packed posts about milling those awesome hardwoods.:hmm3grin2orange:

I 'm soooooooo jealous of the diesel vans and trucks you all have down under.

As some one who needs a lot of room to haul stuff around ( I'm a self employed carpenter so lots of tools and materials) I am sick of throwing money down the filler of my gas tank!....My Gmc van struggles to get half of what your new ride gets!
If there were a van like yours avalbe in the US I would buy one in a heartbeat! And I know a lot of other people would too!:angrysoapbox:

Ok back to the thread at hand, What kind of ultra slick gizmos and mods do you have in mind as you outfit your mill hauler?:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::D

Ok back to the thread at hand, What kind of ultra slick gizmos and mods do you have in mind as you outfit your mill hauler?:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::D

Cheers WBR.

RE: Mods: Nothing major, just stuff like roof racks, internal tie down rails, reversing camera and monitor.

Dan's got me thinking about the little doorway between the passenger and cargo compartment but right now it's 100F in the shade and 120+ inside my home shop so I've got my feet up inside under the air conditioner and a belgian tripel ale in my hand.

Van Update

Well it finally cooled down a bit so I could do the small mods on my van.
Here is the before shot
attachment.php

Here is the after shot.
U = Upholstered panels to reduce noise
M = Rubber mat
H = Hatchway
R = 1" square ally tube tie down rails
attachment.php

Here is a close up of the hatchway.
attachment.php

To do, roof racks, reversing camera, and a little storage compartment I'm building into the side door step well.

Nice job Bob,

It will make going out to mill more comfortable and organized in your new van.:rock:

I rmember I had a 1970 Ford E-300 1-ton van I did a van conversion on. Wood panneling insulated, shag carpet. It was our station wagon when our kids were little. I even had a fold down couch we would put the kids on when they fell asleep.

jerry-

I would wreck that in a sec the steering wheel is on the wrong side . 57 degrees here perfect to be outside 104 is not ,stay in side .

Almost bought a 1967 Mini Cooper with right hand drive in 1971, I bought my 1966 GT-350H instead and still have it today.

Shifting with my left hand would be OK for me since I'm a lefty.

jerry-

Shifting with my left hand would be OK for me since I'm a lefty.
jerry-

Living for 2.5 years in the US and a year in Europe got me used to the other side of the road even though I occasionally opened the window instead of changing gear.

The most dangerous time is immediately on return to Oz where you assume you don't need to think about road position - But - I have several times found myself driving down the wrong side of the road with the oncoming drivers waving their fists at me - maybe thats what happened to that guy that hit me ! :dizzy:

Back