Oil and Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running Opti 2 at 100:1 for over 10 years with no problems. During the summer months I have at least two saws, often 3 saws, running all day by various operators. These saws are used on vegetation management projects, a sawyer and a puller, so they are used hard. To each his own, eh? Oh BTW I will switch to Blendzol once or twice a year just because I like the smell.

uncle kracker yeah yeah yeah dirty - YouTube

Last edited:
I've been running Opti 2 at 100:1 for over 10 years with no problems. During the summer months I have at least two saws, often 3 saws, running all day by various operators. These saws are used on vegetation management projects, a sawyer and a puller, so they are used hard. To each his own, eh. Oh BTW I will switch to Blendzol once or twice a year just because I like the smell.

uncle kracker yeah yeah yeah dirty - YouTube

When I get over there to visit we will have to talk mix. I been running Echo mix 50-1 with seafoam and a jigger if MMO. Has been fine I like hearing other opinions

I've been using Amsoil lubes/filters in everything I've owned for the past 11yrs. Had absolutely no issues whatsoever. As far as 2strokesI are concerned, 100:1 has been the ratio I use. I own MS 441, MS200T, MS260 & an HT131 all of which I bought new and a dozen other trimmers & saws I've collected over the years. Everyone of them run just fine. Amsoil will be my oil of choice for years to come. David.

Last year I started using Homelite 2-CYCLE OIL at 50 to 1. My saws call for 50-1.
I'm happy with the Homelite. Some of you guys are suggesting: more oil say 40-1?

Always in the past I ran my saws richer, more oil, I did have a fouling problem a while back running richer, gunked up rings on the 034, I could have been running too rich, too much oil.

Maybe I'll spill a little more oil in the mix.

Gas and oil threads, there are never too many, we could have just one thread and just keep it going.

dq72, just read your thread, I used my MS299T, couple days ago, for the first long run, lota cutting. I used 50-1, and you say, you are using AMSOIL. If that's so it must be great. I'ed like some conformation on that. Thanks

Last edited:
I've been using Amsoil lubes/filters in everything I've owned for the past 11yrs. Had absolutely no issues whatsoever. As far as 2strokesI are concerned, 100:1 has been the ratio I use. I own MS 441, MS200T, MS260 & an HT131 all of which I bought new and a dozen other trimmers & saws I've collected over the years. Everyone of them run just fine. Amsoil will be my oil of choice for years to come. David.

Amsoil may be ok for light duty applications, but if you've got any big machinery it would be wise to change up ASAP! Filters too for that matter! It is not a heavy duty lubricant. Just like truckers will swear by Shell Rotella, don't buy in! May work ok in a big rig that only uses an average of 45% of it's power but put it in a combine or a heavy tractor that is using 85, 90, 95% of it's power over long durations and your lubricity issues will rear their ugly head! Usually takes out the valve train first. Fleetguard filters are top notch. Case IH and John Deere sell the highest quality heavy duty oil. As far as 2 strokes, 100:1?? Why would you want to starve a high rpm engine of it's oil. What do you think you're accomplishing?

Amsoil may be ok for light duty applications, but if you've got any big machinery it would be wise to change up ASAP! Filters too for that matter! It is not a heavy duty lubricant. Just like truckers will swear by Shell Rotella, don't buy in! May work ok in a big rig that only uses an average of 45% of it's power but put it in a combine or a heavy tractor that is using 85, 90, 95% of it's power over long durations and your lubricity issues will rear their ugly head! Usually takes out the valve train first. Fleetguard filters are top notch. Case IH and John Deere sell the highest quality heavy duty oil. As far as 2 strokes, 100:1?? Why would you want to starve a high rpm engine of it's oil. What do you think you're accomplishing?

Case, John Deere, and IH don't produce their labled oil. Do you know who does?

Akcela by FL viscosity makes Case IH oils, not sure about Deere. Never said they made it just said they sell it :)

Can't comment on Chevron, never been around it. But the Case IH oil I can definitely vouch for. My father manages a combine/sprayer/articulating tractor service shop at our local Case IH dealer. Their oil stands the test of time. When a lubricity related engine failure comes up it is usually traced back to a ridiculously long interval, or Amsoil. I really should be beatin the drum and drinkin the Amsoil cool-aid on here because it keeps his shop making money! But I'm not that kind of guy, for your sake and your engines, don't buy in to the Amsoil BS!

Last edited:
I used to run amsiol in my high rev 450cc 12000rpm four stroke dirt bike and never had a problem. I was a amsoil dealer for a few years till i found out anybody can get dealer pricing. After that i gave up on the dealer stuff. I do have a customer that always run mobil1 high milage with lucas synthic oil addtive and amsoil filters.

I don't care what anyone says!! The best two cycle oil I've ever used is, ISO 46 hydraulic oil mixed at 100:1.... I buy it 5 gallons at a time from TSC. I've used it for years cutting firewood in 110°F and my saws mostly run OK.

I was thinking about switching to seafoam, I hear you can run it at 200:1 without issues. Plus I hear seafoam somehow takes ethanol out of ethanol fuel. They also tell me Amsoil mixed at 100:1 works great, and they say they've never see a failure. I personally would trust every word they say, I highly recommend running these mixes because they say it works, and hay they, whoever they are proved this with hard facts and data.

Been running Opti2 at 50-1 for over 10 years with no lubrication related failures in lots of brands. Simple to use cause it's 22 L of fuel to 1 250ml bottle, triple rinse, shake and go feed the chip chucker.

And let em run what ever they want, to the "they say"....

Baahahahaha... I hope that ISO 46 is good for somthin! Sure makes piss poor hyd. oil! There are alot of guys who might tell you anything. If I told you I jumped off the Empire State Building and walked away would you believe me? Some guys make a living replacing toasted jug-n-slugs so by all means 100:1 it is. Heck I use WD40 at 250:1 with 100LL works great for me saws run just fine :hmm3grin2orange:

First of all, it's been proven time and time again that synthetics are far better than conventional oils. Amsoil along with other oil makers have proved this for many years now. Actually, Amsoil proved it first in 1972. All I can say is do some research. The internet is full of info on synthetic lubes. Like I said before, I've used it for years now and never had a problem. I think if I where to have had a problem with one of my engines- 2-stroke or 4-stroke, I would have already had it. Check out the Amsoil website and judge for yourself. Thanks, and have a good day David...............

You go ahead and do your research on the internet because I've already done mine in the field and in the shop where it counts. :potstir: :sword:

Can't comment on Chevron, never been around it. But the Case IH oil I can definitely vouch for. My father manages a combine/sprayer/articulating tractor service shop at our local Case IH dealer. Their oil stands the test of time. When a lubricity related engine failure comes up it is usually traced back to a ridiculously long interval, or Amsoil. I really should be beatin the drum and drinkin the Amsoil cool-aid on here because it keeps his shop making money! But I'm not that kind of guy, for your sake and your engines, don't buy in to the Amsoil BS!

I have never used Amsoil and don't plan on it. Are the failures you see because Amsoil fails as a lubricant or because it is run too long before an oil change? Costco sells Chevron Delo 15-40 so that is why I use it.

Are your customers using Amsoils 2 stroke oil in their combines? No wonder they have problems.

If not, then i don't see how this topic is related to them?

PS: I would advise against using John Deere engine oil for making 2 stroke mix. :)

Back