Oil for splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravedigger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am putting new 10 gallon tank, cylinder,pump and filter on an old didler splitter. Basically a new splitter. What oil should I get and WHY?
I've seen ISO 32, ISO46, ISO 22, ATF, and motor oil.

Just get some universal hydraulic oil at your local farm supply store. Such as Tractor Supply or the like.

splitter oil

Good hydraulic oil is the story ,it wont foam and cause cavitation that could ruin your pump and it has lubrication and rustproof additives

I've went with the cheap universal hydraulic fluid pick it up for 32 bucks for 5 gallons at your local farm supply. works just as good as any

My splitter has had ATF in it since new, no issues and it has split a pile of wood. Its homemade, haldex pump.

I am putting new 10 gallon tank, cylinder,pump and filter on an old didler splitter. Basically a new splitter. What oil should I get and WHY?
I've seen ISO 32, ISO46, ISO 22, ATF, and motor oil.

Definitely not Motor Oil, motor oil doesn't contain the correct additives for hyraulic applications.

The pump is the major factor in oil choice it should have a rated viscosity located on its performance cut sheet (it'll be a range say 10-150 cSt)

ISO 22 and ATF are good choices for cold weather,

ISO 32 is a good general use oil, ISO 46 is a little thicker.

If you can find it look at the pour point of the oil, you want the pour point to be about 15-20 degrees below the expected temperature the machine will see. For example most ISO 22 oils have a pour point of about -25 degrees F, where as most ISO 46 oils have a pour point of about -10 degrees F. This is for mobile machinery applications and will help ensure that the pump does not cavitiate during start up and slow cycling conditions.

An R&O oil has more rust inhibitors where AW has more anti wear additives

Best of luck

Definitely not Motor Oil, motor oil doesn't contain the correct additives for hyraulic applications.

The pump is the major factor in oil choice it should have a rated viscosity located on its performance cut sheet (it'll be a range say 10-150 cSt)

ISO 22 and ATF are good choices for cold weather,

ISO 32 is a good general use oil, ISO 46 is a little thicker.

If you can find it look at the pour point of the oil, you want the pour point to be about 15-20 degrees below the expected temperature the machine will see. For example most ISO 22 oils have a pour point of about -25 degrees F, where as most ISO 46 oils have a pour point of about -10 degrees F. This is for mobile machinery applications and will help ensure that the pump does not cavitiate during start up and slow cycling conditions.

An R&O oil has more rust inhibitors where AW has more anti wear additives

Best of luck

although I wouldnt use regular motor oil because of a cost point, it is recommended fluid in my all hydraulic driven tractor, in fact all the case, colt or ingersoll tractors require reqular motor oil most use rotella 15/40 its a common misconception that motor oil is bad it was really frown upon long ago because the detergents used created foaming but todays modern day oils are fine I run rotella in my tractor and the 3pt log splitter on it with no problems.

Back