Oil mix questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ask every new customer which oil they use just for my own records and to satisfy my curiosity. I know idle time before shutdown makes a difference in residual oil, but there’s a bit of a pattern still after seeing several of each.

Red Armor residual at 50:1 is similar to Dominator, Original Klotz, Motul 710, and Yamalube 2r at 32:1.

Motul 800, BelRay H1R, and Honda HP2 are similar in residual oil and cleanliness to Red Armor

If you don't mind me asking, how does Red Armor look at 40:1?

In my expiereance with it with brand new equipment it does indeed burn very clean. Probably one of the best oils out there as it pertains to cleanliness and residual oil at 50:1 ratios.
However, it's not magic and will not clean a saw gunned up with years of use on it.
It paints me to say this...but I also don't think you need to run anymore oil than 50:1 with

Many guys will tell you that Red Armor creates alot of drool out the muffler. That's true if you don't know how to properly tune a carb. If you do it burns clean and with a dry muffler at 50:1.
There is also talk of a formula change with RA. I dont believe this is the case. It looks, smells and performs the exact same as the early stuff I had. I realise the MSDS have changed, but if you dig a bit deeper and realise what has to and doesn't have to be on a MSDS it's easy to come to the conclusion there wasn't a change. IE the physical parameters didn't change from MSDS to MSDS and the ingredients omitted from the new MSDS were not toxic in the first place and thus didn't need to be listed.

Any opinions about the 360 assembly with engine, from China? Farmtec, Performance Corp., several seller offer this 1/2 rebuild. I have a customer who wants a NIB $150 assembly installed in a straight gassed machine. The OEM jug, piston, and rings are junk. Any experiences?

Any opinions about the 360 assembly with engine, from China? Farmtec, Performance Corp., several seller offer this 1/2 rebuild. I have a customer who wants a NIB $150 assembly installed in a straight gassed machine. The OEM jug, piston, and rings are junk. Any experiences?
This doesn’t answer your question but I always try and clean up the OEM cylinder before replacing it. 90–95% of straight gassed cylinders clean up pretty well and you can get by with a new Meteor Piston and rings for $50

I found an old plastic measuring cup behind the seat of my 1959 Apache p/u. I have been using that measuring cup for years. 4oz 2 cycle oil to 1 gallon of regular gas = 32 : 1 . New saws (1998) to old saws Poulan 306a. 32 digger pines cut up sez it's ok. Smoke keeps the skeeters away YEEEHAAAWW !

Attachments

• hillbilly.jpg
    hillbilly.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
I found an old plastic measuring cup behind the seat of my 1959 Apache p/u. I have been using that measuring cup for years. 4oz 2 cycle oil to 1 gallon of regular gas = 32 : 1 . New saws (1998) to old saws Poulan 306a. 32 digger pines cut up sez it's ok. Smoke keeps the skeeters away YEEEHAAAWW !
oh boy.jpeg

I avoid measuring cups, as they will always have some dirt or dust in them, which I do not want in my fuel. The fuel filter will not catch fine dirt. I just use whole small bottles of oil and enough gas to make it 50:1.

I avoid measuring cups, as they will always have some dirt or dust in them, which I do not want in my fuel. The fuel filter will not catch fine dirt. I just use whole small bottles of oil and enough gas to make it 50:1.

This is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MMO7SC

Fill up to the right measurement with oil, fill the rest of the way with gasoline, close lids and shake it till pre-dilluted. Dump into fuel can, top up the fuel can with gasoline.

Lids stay closed and sealed when not in use.

I always put the cup back in a plastic bag due to dusty conditions. These saws ran great for 15 years.

Latest posts

Back