Oil Mixture Ratio Question for Simonizer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvaught

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Why do the manufacturers now recommend a 50:1 ratio when they used to recommend richer mixtures? Why dont they explain themselves, instead of just telling us what to do an leaving it at that?

I have two guesses, and perhaps a third if the first two are combined: a) the oils of today are better, b) the engines of today are better, and c) both a and b.

I have trouble imagining any manufacturer recommending that customers use LESS of their product unless they had a good reason (or reasons).

I got another idea...the EPA and public perception in regards to the smoke issue. Of course a good oil wont smoke at 32:1, but what the OEMS sells is a decent oil that is profitable.

You are probably all right, it seems to me that it is a combination of all.

OIl technology has improved but mostly in regards to reduced smoke... Nothing in current aircooled oil formulations is much differant that it was in the early 80's besides the substitution of Poly Iso Butene for the previously used bright stock. This was done to reduce smoke.

I recently bought two new (discontinued 136 and 141) Huskys for small chores, mostly limbing downed fruit trees. The dealer definitely said to use 50:1 and provided the 1 gallon 50:1 mix oil with the saws. When I got around to reading the owners manual it said 40:1 using Husky oil. These both have the GREEN fuel caps. Any thoughts?

16 Gauge,

To my knowledge, the Poulan products all specify 40:1 (the saws in question are orange Poulans). If the manual says 40:1 in writing, and the dealer gives you verbal instructions for 50:1, I'm mixing 40:1. My Craftsman (Poulan) leaf blower did not specify the mix ratio anywhere (weak owner's manual) but on the fuel cap, but it says 40:1. Poulan oil is distributed in premeasure bottles for 40:1. Hope this helps.

Jackman, thanks...orange poulans...hmm.

Scottr, what an interesting thread! I was just trying to do the right thing with mix ratios and think I just jumped into a huge can of worms.

16gauge said:
Jackman, thanks...orange poulans...hmm.

Scottr, what an interesting thread! I was just trying to do the right thing with mix ratios and think I just jumped into a huge can of worms.

Electrolux of Sweden owns Poulan, Partner, Huqvarna, Jonsered, I believe Solo also or one of them Italian saw manufacturers. I am not sure if they didn't get their grubby hands on Pioneer also at sometime and perhaps others.

At one time Poulan did make the entry level saws for Husqvarna. '' Orange Poulan's ''

If you want piece of mind, run Echo premium 2 cycle oil, or Stihl, or Tanaka, or Jonsered, or Husky at 40:1 and you will never be in trouble because of oil anyways.

There are also other good oils out there but you must be careful.

I recently bought an Echo trimmer. The instructions say to mix at 50:1 and to mix all previous Echo 40:1 products to 50:1. I'm going to have to assume there's been an improvement in oils if that's the case.

I tried running the new trimmer on fresh 40:1 since that is what I already had on hand for my saws and it was very sluggish. I attributed it to not being broken in yet, but when I mixed a 50:1 batch it ran like it should instantaniously. So now I get to lug 2 gas cans everywhere. :dizzy:

bvaught said:
Why do the manufacturers now recommend a 50:1 ratio when they used to recommend richer mixtures? Why dont they explain themselves, instead of just telling us what to do an leaving it at that?
One reason. As our planet becomes more environmentally "sensitive", the EPA and C.A.R.B. and others tighten the noose on emissions laws. This is a good thing in the Grand Scheme of things. Any technician that works on Stihl MS 660's knows you must remove the limiter caps and set the saw up as part of the PDI. They are running such lean mixtures through the tests that they must be re-done at the stores. If they tried this at even 45:1 fuel-oil, they would not pass. Every tenth saw is run and tested off the assembly line. Saws are more efficient, oils are superior, but emissions regulations holds the trump card here. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back