Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't believe its not been mentioned, here we go, those of you that have no choice but to use 10% tainted gasoline please keep in mind that conventional dino oil will not mix with ethanol, it will seperate.
I strongly suggest a high quality ester base fully synthetic oil.

Can't believe its not been mentioned, here we go, those of you that have no choice but to use 10% tainted gasoline please keep in mind that conventional dino oil will not mix with ethanol, it will seperate.
I strongly suggest a high quality ester base fully synthetic oil.

This is completely incorrect. All 2 cycle oil made today mixes with 10% alcohol if not more. Castor based oil is what you want for high levels of alcohol, and nitro, not Ester oils.

Last edited:
Echo powerblend 50:1 with 93 octane, Next gallon will be 40:1....

I use the same can of mix I use in my 2 stroke four wheeler. Regular pump gas with Amsoil Dominator. But would use any quality 2 stroke oil, Maxima,Klotz etc... The last thing you wanna use is the cheap 2 stroke lawn mower oil you find in pep boys or any box store.

Just curious, hhhhmmmm?????? why wood u run regular grade gas????? and top of the line oil

89 is the minimum reccomended in the stihl & husky owners manuals, Gary's gonna flip out when he see's this one!!!!

Ohhhh boy!!!! This is gonna leave a mark!!!!!

Not denying your correct, could you point me to some more info please? TIA

I've spoken with Klotz, and Maxima about this issue and both R50 and K2 will mix fine up to 15% Oils specifically formulated for outdoor power equipment must meet this requirement and will say so on the bottle itself. Castor oils or castor blends like Klotz Super Techinplate are made to mix with methanol, alcohol and nitromethane. http://klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=44&submit2=View

Last edited:
I've spoken with Klotz, and Maxima about this issue and both R50 and K2 will mix fine up to 15% Oils specifically formulated for outdoor power equipment must meet this requirement and will say so on the bottle itself. Castor oils or castor blends like Klotz Super Techinplate are made to mix with methanol, alcohol and nitromethane. http://klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=44&submit2=View

Thank you for the clarification. Only problem i have with castor base oils is there hydroscopic like ethanol is, that is a concern.

I'll make this thread useful and point out a 2-ccle premix I used that has caused problems and that was Golden Spectro at 32:1. Always had problems keeping 125cc MX bikes together. Switched to Maxima SuperM and never had failure again.
Gldn%20Premix%2012oz.jpg

I'll make this thread useful and point out a 2-ccle premix I used that has caused problems and that was Golden Spectro at 32:1. Always had problems keeping 125cc MX bikes together. Switched to Maxima SuperM and never had failure again.
Gldn%20Premix%2012oz.jpg

That oil is thick stuff 32:1 was likely too much. If you like SuperM give K2 a try.

The problem with ethanol is not really with the ethanol itself, it's with the alcohol's ability to absorb moisture. It's very bad for 2-stroke machines that require premixed fuels. As soon as the ethanol starts to absorb water, the oil gets pushed out of the premix. Back in the 80's, the Spectro lube dude that sold our shop oil had us do an experiment. We took known 10% gasohol (we used those test tube fuel testers)and filled our ratio-rite container with 50:1 premix. The fuel had a nice look to it. We then started adding small amounts of water to the mixture. The water did not just settle to the bottom like it would in pure gasoline. It was being absorbed into the alcohol. Pretty soon you could see the oil was looking like fine cottage cheese in the fuel. Suzuki even had a service bulletin out in the mid 80's warning people about premix with ethanol. If you HAVE to use ethanol, use it up, don't use old stuff.

The problem with ethanol is not really with the ethanol itself, it's with the alcohol's ability to absorb moisture. It's very bad for 2-stroke machines that require premixed fuels. As soon as the ethanol starts to absorb water, the oil gets pushed out of the premix. Back in the 80's, the Spectro lube dude that sold our shop oil had us do an experiment. We took known 10% gasohol (we used those test tube fuel testers)and filled our ratio-rite container with 50:1 premix. The fuel had a nice look to it. We then started adding small amounts of water to the mixture. The water did not just settle to the bottom like it would in pure gasoline. It was being absorbed into the alcohol. Pretty soon you could see the oil was looking like fine cottage cheese in the fuel. Suzuki even had a service bulletin out in the mid 80's warning people about premix with ethanol. If you HAVE to use ethanol, use it up, don't use old stuff.

100% correct.

Back