OK, I finally found somthing better than an MS 361!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell, I do not like running a 660 myself. I ran one once. Or rather, it ran me. Guy that owned it was huge. His arms are about the size of my legs. He never used the decomp button starting it either.

The 460 is about as large a saw as I am comfortable using.

Decomp on a 660? Not on mine... Unless I'm complete retard, but I've never found one. Would be nice though because that saw's owned me a couple times when trying to just give a quick pull to restart it. But I looooove running it, so much power there and I don't find it that heavy at all. I don't even mind it for limbing provided I use a nice long bar so I don't have to bend over.

Yup...two 361s is the way to go. My wife grumbled when I bought my second one but she hasn't said much since the day I was gone with one and she had to use the other to cut a blow-down out of the road to get to town. She doesn't like to run the 066 and she's actually grown fond of the 361.

I actually considered a second 361 a while ago as well, but it didn't happen.........

Decomp on a 660? Not on mine... Unless I'm complete retard, but I've never found one. Would be nice though because that saw's owned me a couple times when trying to just give a quick pull to restart it. But I looooove running it, so much power there and I don't find it that heavy at all. I don't even mind it for limbing provided I use a nice long bar so I don't have to bend over.

The newer 660s all have decomp valves. Actually all the newer MS pro Stihl saws have them (except the 260 non-pro). You could have one drilled and tapped into the head. Not that hard to do. Just find where Stihl puts them into the head for good location. I think Bailey's sells them.

Well, my second 361 still has the 28 inch bar on it. I will admit that saw is a tad bar heavy. But it is actually easier as you can stand up straighter as you cut branches off logs with it.

I am thinking that the 361 oiler is not up to keeping a 28 inch bar properly lubed though. I have noticed bar burn out near the tip, and I have seen the same thing on most 361s with 28 inch bars on them.

Time to get a 460 oil bolt...

Well, my second 361 still has the 28 inch bar on it. I will admit that saw is a tad bar heavy. But it is actually easier as you can stand up straighter as you cut branches off logs with it.

I am thinking that the 361 oiler is not up to keeping a 28 inch bar properly lubed though. I have noticed bar burn out near the tip, and I have seen the same thing on most 361s with 28 inch bars on them.

Time to get a 460 oil bolt...

Sounds like you need it - have you done it on the "old" 361?

Sounds like you need it - have you done it on the "old" 361?

No, the older 361 only wears 24 inch bars at most and they (Stihl ES and GB) stay nicely oiled with the oiler set to full. Seems that Stihl designs the max oiler output to the max bar length that they recommend for a saw, which is a 24 on the 361.

I wonder if it is possible just to grind off the stock oil bolt for more of a gusher? I will have to look at the differnt size oil adjusters and see what the difference is.

I wonder if it is possible just to grind off the stock oil bolt for more of a gusher? I will have to look at the differnt size oil adjusters and see what the difference is.

Looks like this will not work. According to my AS search, I need to get the 460 high capacity oiler piston and adjustment bolt and supposedly they will fit into the stock 361. As will the entire 460 HC oil assembly if they are swapped out.

Of course, I do not really need a 28 inch bar, so maybe I will just sell it (Stihl ES bar should fetch a good penny or three) and put one of my other bars on the second 361. Maybe keep Milo's with the 25 inch, and put a 20 inch on the other one. Or an 18 inch, and make the Troll happy! And have a lot less work to do fiddeling with the oiler.

You might want to try a 8" or 10" bar for that reason.

I do not show a 3/8 0.050 bar shorter than 16 inches, even in E type from Stihl. I put a 16 inch GB Pro bar on it and it was a waste of torque on the 361. So I put on a 9 pin rim and it went faster, but that bar was so short it was still a waste of saw. The 16 would do nice on an 026 though. I may keep the 28" long enough to put it on an 026 and make a video, if for no other reason to get the east coasters to pull their hair out. Troll might have a coronary.

Last edited:
Looks like this will not work. According to my AS search, I need to get the 460 high capacity oiler piston and adjustment bolt and supposedly they will fit into the stock 361. As will the entire 460 HC oil assembly if they are swapped out.

Of course, I do not really need a 28 inch bar, so maybe I will just sell it (Stihl ES bar should fetch a good penny or three) and put one of my other bars on the second 361. Maybe keep Milo's with the 25 inch, and put a 20 inch on the other one. Or an 18 inch, and make the Troll happy! And have a lot less work to do fiddeling with the oiler.

18" is just fine, and the stock oiler is adequate......:clap:

:cheers:

Back