Ok lets here it, how does a Jonsered compair to a Stihl or husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heromaker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Ive used my share of chainsaws and use Stihl and now getting into huskys, How does a Jonsered compair? Solo guys can chime in too cause I havent had the pleasure on those either.

Well Jonsered should compare very much like a Husq. they are pretty much the same saw. Solo's run very strong, the 681 may be the best in the class next to the Dolmar 7900, which is very similiar to the 681. In the 5 cube saws I think the Stihl 460 is way down the list. Some guys praise them and think they are the best but I guess after paying that much for a sub-par saw what else can you say:hmm3grin2orange:

If I was picking it would be:

Dolmar 7900, better anti vibe then the 681...firmer
Solo 681
Husky 372
Jonsered 2171
Poluan Wildthing
Stihl 460

LOL

How does Ford compare to Chevy compare to GMC compare to Dodge compare to Chrysler compare to Toyota compare to Nissan ?

I grew up with stihl on the farm and inherited a number of stihls. Stihl saws were a great improvement over domestic saws of the time. There are some great stihl models out there and quite a few not so great models. When I had the opportunity to run Huskies while logging, I recognized their superior simplicity of design, reliability, and ease of repair and I was hooked. Jonsered is a deluxe husky with fewer models in the lineup. I have a new 2165 that I got for christmas after my 670 champ died. Very nice. Plan to buy a husky 445 next. As far as good design goes I am really impressed with Dolmar/makita, thinking about getting a 6401 or the latest equivalent.

Never even held a Jonsered muchless run one, but I as I was digging through a loft containing a few old MACs, Homelites and other extinct American saws accumulated by an elderly gentleman and longtime small engine repairman (he looked to be in his 80's) I couldn't help but ask what brand saw he thought was the best - without hestitation he said Jonsered. His shop floor was littered with carcasses of saws made by the two big European manufacturers and his loft was full of American remains so it was rather oblivious that he has worked on quite a few saws over the years. Of course, he may have had some undisclosed bias and the best saw from a repair viewpoint doesn't necessarily equate to the best performing saw. But he certainly peaked my interest in looking at the Jonsered line up. Ron

I'm pretty sure that unlike the Huskies you can't get high top, HD filters for them. They are good saws but struggle with a lot of dust.

Yep, They were professional logger saws back when. I had a 625 ex-logger from Canada. Should have held onto it. Every bit as good or better than Stihl in those years.

Harry K

Yes, but the 625 is a Husky really, based on the 162/61, and made at the Husky factory!

The time periode when the Jonsereds were the best saws mainly was the 1970. It mostly was over by 1982. Some of the replacements, like the 6xx, 8xx and 9xx saws were good enough to sustain the reputation the brand had gained, while the smaller ones mostly were not, before the 2051 turned up.

Last edited:
Quality wise they compare very well! However when it comes to dealer network all bets are off. If parts availabilty and dealer service is important, I think Stihl and Husky have a leg up!

I fancied myself a Stihl kind of person at first, until I got a hold of the old mans Jonsered. My third saw will most likely be a Husqvarna. My Stihl is a small clamshell design, good for the easy stuff. The Jonsered feels a lot better, you can really tell how well made it is from just handling it, same with Huskies IMO. I wouldn't mind having a Dolmar either, but have my eye on an old monster (to me) Husqvarna at my local dealer. We'll se this summer. I'm pretty sure a bigger cc Jonsered won't disappoint you. I personally like the straight handle a bit better, but this alone wouldn't stop me fron getting a different brand.

Well Jonsered should compare very much like a Husq. they are pretty much the same saw. Solo's run very strong, the 681 may be the best in the class next to the Dolmar 7900, which is very similiar to the 681. In the 5 cube saws I think the Stihl 460 is way down the list. Some guys praise them and think they are the best but I guess after paying that much for a sub-par saw what else can you say:hmm3grin2orange:

If I was picking it would be:

Dolmar 7900, better anti vibe then the 681...firmer
Solo 681
Husky 372
Jonsered 2171
Poluan Wildthing
Stihl 460

LOL
A poulan wild thing?! Seriously?!! You must've got your hands on a really BAD 460 to list it below a poulan wild thing

Never even held a Jonsered muchless run one, but I as I was digging through a loft containing a few old MACs, Homelites and other extinct American saws accumulated by an elderly gentleman and longtime small engine repairman (he looked to be in his 80's) I couldn't help but ask what brand saw he thought was the best - without hestitation he said Jonsered. His shop floor was littered with carcasses of saws made by the two big European manufacturers and his loft was full of American remains so it was rather oblivious that he has worked on quite a few saws over the years. Of course, he may have had some undisclosed bias and the best saw from a repair viewpoint doesn't necessarily equate to the best performing saw. But he certainly peaked my interest in looking at the Jonsered line up. Ron
It took years for Stihl and Husky to make inroads, McCulloch dominated for a long time, and still would had not been for what has happened to many a manufacturer. When Mac started to flounder it was bought up by I believe it was Black and Decker then ran into the ground. A group of successful CEO's from other companies were looking to buy McCulloch and revitalize them, however Huskavarna snapped them up and all but shut them down, simply to eliminate the possibility of loss of market share. Which is the same basic thing they did to Jonsered, however they gave a little more to Jonsered as long as it doesn't out pace the Husky lineup

Latest posts

Back