OK, now it's gone too far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather that is...
I noticed the Silver Maples in my front looked a bit "different" this morning.
Good god, the buds have started to pop... they're predicting 50[sup]o[/sup]+ tomorrow again.

same here... this is redicules i know Les on 104.7 said its supposed to go south for us here next week, Wont the buds poping now hurt the trees? when it snows

45 here now, 50 for tomorrow and the ice house needs to come home.... set the house on 14" of clear glass like ice 2 wees ago and now its down to 9" ?? really it is jan.9th hey?? more like march 9th!

good question?? my 10 year old hy breed popplers are budded to the max, next week calls for our first long period of fridged cold(3 days) of 16 degs and colder ...... swamps are popcorn dry wheres the fire going to be this spring ??

Nothing!

It's not going to hurt the trees if it gets frost again. The buds will die and new ones appear when the proper time comes. Seen that many times before.

Motorsen

It's not going to hurt the trees if it gets frost again. The buds will die and new ones appear when the proper time comes. Seen that many times before.

Motorsen

your right my sugar maples suffered that a few years back they have reserve bud,now my plum trees actually bloomed and no fruit that year:censored:

We have seen several clumps of tulips and daffodils pop out of the ground as well, pretty far out on the south side of the house. Sounds like the bottom will drop out here on Wednesday night.

I have not noticed any changes in the trees here, but I did see a live earth worm on the ground, and the bugs are starting to wake up, I seen a couple flyers.

Very dry here, 18" of rain for the season so far, about half of normal, most of that was in Oct/Nov. Normal rainfall is 5 feet for the year, last year was 7 feet, I guess this will balance things out.

I am hoping that the crabgrass in my yard will begin to germinate and grow......then along comes a cold snap.....and "WHAM".......no more crabgrass in my yard this year!

Last day of hunting season at 56 in mid January!

I haven't even gotten by bids out yet. Wish me luck on the last day though!

I'm concerned about the fruit bearing trees, grapes and strawberries...should be an interesting growing season.

Well, I not gonna’ claim to be an expert, but I’m not so sure about that. At the same time, I’m not gonna’ say you’re wrong either because I can’t seem to find a definitive answer. The thing is, those trees are likely to see an extended deep-freeze, not just a period of frost.

Back a few years ago we had an unusually warm period in March/April which resulted in early bud break of maples and oaks. Then a hard frost period in May caused considerable frost damage (deformed leaves, dead twigs, etc.). Some of those trees dropped the damage and produced new buds; some just lived with the damage for the season duration… overall, new growth that year was limited and not much for fruit/seed. But a bud break in January ain’t the same thing…

This far north, when trees begin the transformation into hibernation, an internal chemical change happens, engineered to protect the tree from extreme cold. Trees dump water from their cells and begin to produce “anti-freeze” enzymes and compounds that protect the cells from freezing and keep cell walls flexible during extended sub-zero (not frost) conditions. This “change” happens slowly, beginning in August and lasting through November, or even into December. Before the buds can break this “change” must be reversed to some greater or lesser degree depending on species (i.e. the sap starts to run). Trees “breaking bud” in January have reversed their “anti-freeze” protection… If the weather pattern now suddenly switches to normal January/February/March temperatures those trees will be un-protected from extended sub-zero periods. What I can’t seem to find is what the effects of that sort of damage will be… it seems we’ve never had a (recorded) early January “bud break” before.

Strange… very strange…

I have a friend that is a landscaper by trade. He told me that it may effect the flowering or fruiting of some trees for this season but the overall health of the tree shouldn't be affected.

Once it freezes up and I can get back to the woods again. I'm gonna have an effect on the overall health of quite a few.:laugh:

Last edited:
I guess our region is the only place with enough snow in the mountains to go ski. It isn't a big snowpack, but better than some of the drought years. My rose bush has kept blooming all winter. Here's a snow picture--I call this Granola Skiing and it is what I sometimes do on the weekends. The downhill area is across the road, and is too crowded on the weekends.

View attachment 216364View attachment 216365View attachment 216366

December in Lehigh Valley PA

Check out these Forsythia taken right before the holidays and after the halloween snow Spring is here right...?

DSC_0558_21.jpg

DSC_0560_21.jpg

Latest posts

Back