Ok.. so what is the best saw?....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main saw,light,good on fuel,easy to handle,36in tree no problem.
inch a second buried in oak no problem..
cut all day and feel good when done..'
when your a senior citizen working smart is the only way to go.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xXIzr2na84?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xXIzr2na84?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

th best saw is POULANPRO405plus, easily by far the best saw in the league.:bowdown::chainsawguy:

Asking a man to keep only one saw is like asking a man to get rid of one of his nuts, that being said... I choose to keep my left nut because it is prettier and my 6400 because it can do all of the jobs I need it to, just like my left nut.

Stihl 046

Not too heavy to bounce around in the small stuff, but still gets with it in the larger wood.

Tony

Before finding this site, I did own just one saw for many years... Stihl 026.

Now that I've owned saws from dinky to fairly stout; It would be tough choosing between the 440 and the 441.

Probably settle on the 441 with a few different bar sizes.

MS 261, if I had one. My old 036 was my go to saw for almost 20 years. Now that I have my MS 200T, I use it for most of my cutting (but I'm up a tree a lot). If I was always working on the ground, a MS 261 or 036 would suffice for 90 percent of the work I do, even limited felling activities. I have a MS660 that gets pulled out for felling and bucking trees larger than 24 inches. Up to about 20 to 24 inches, the 036 does just fine.

Okay so if you look at the work you propose, Felling, trimming, bucking, limbing ETC. ALL with one saw;:can:
Felling has by far the smallest share of the work and an 18"-20" BC will drop 80-90% of your trees. So that means the rest of your time will be spent climbing around in the tree, limbing a fell tree and bucking the log.

"Logically" you would never need anything above the 50cc class at the VERY most. (I would think the 346 would be a great fit)

ME..............I'll take my 681:rotfl: Well maybe not but I like it and I don't always "work smarter and not Harder"

Last edited:
Okay so if you look at the work you propose, Felling, trimming, bucking, limbing ETC. ALL with one saw;:can:
Felling has by far the smallest share of the work and an 18"-20" BC will drop 80-90% of your trees. So that means the rest of your time will be spent climbing around in the tree, limbing a fell tree and bucking the log.

"Logically" you would never need anything above the 50cc class at the VERY most. (I would think the 346 would be a great fit)

ME..............I'll take my 681:rotfl: Well maybe not but I like it and I don't always "work smarter and not Harder"

Now you know we all have CAD.. and have more saws than we really need :) Even those of us using professionally usually have some we simply call backup or spare saws :)

But .. puts one to thinking a bit if they have to pick one ..

saw.jpg

I'd take my 385xp if I only had one. Yeah it might be a little heavy but it cuts so much faster then my lighter 455 that it makes up for it. Besides if your cutting firewood using the saw will not be the most taxing thing you do all day you still gotta carry all the pieces to the truck, load, unload, split, and stack mine as well go big.
Now for climbing I guess I'd have to use my hand saw more.

I really think that the best saw is yet to be made.

I agree, Dolmar needs to make a new Wankel rotary powered saw, that spins at 25,000 rpm, and has enough power to run a 10 pin sprocket... but that ain't gonna happen. Since I'm young and fairly strong, I'll say I'd want a McCulloch SP 125, with an infinite parts supply...

Latest posts

Back