Ok tree experts what eth heck kind of tree was this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have some wood that I can't identify live or on the net so here's a couple of pictures of it and an explanation

Yes that piece by itself is Yellow not just wet or dry but yellow period, this wood is hard as concrete, the fibers go everywhere in some places and straight in others, my 10 ton manual splitter won;t even touch it so I have to use a chain saw to cut it, it will dull a chain in about 15 seconds if I go at it the wrong way, and some places its like cutting through glass, some of the wood is Yellow, and some is the brown like in the first picture, the bark is dark Brown on the outside but Red underneath, I have no idea what it is but its harder than gum and there's no way a maul will even dent it. If this stuff burns as tough as it is to cut its gonna be better overnight than Hickory

Bark in the first picture kinda looks similar to persimmon, But not exactly they way it looks around here. Persimmon wood is also kinda yellowish and yes its hard wood. See if that might be it...

Can't get any leaves or anything, I didn't cut that one down, I found it on Craigs list here in VB and was the first one to get to it so I got about a ton of it, whatever tree company ground up all the small limbs, when was left were trunk and large limbs.

Mulberry? If it is that's the first time I have heard of that tree in this area here.
All I knwo is I lit a piece of it off to test it last night and it stayed going for three hours :) So it will be worth all the work I had to do since it will heat my house

Back