okay guys, reccomend me a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Okay, sears sold out of the one i wanted, so lets see if i can find one that is quality. I can spend around 200 bucks. Brand doesn't matter to me, cc don't matter, and i would like no smaller than a 14" bar. Got any ideas?? I have heard husky thrown around, and i got a husky dealer up the street, in town i got a co-op that i think sells husky and stihl. And even better throw in a link to site where i can look at it. So got any reccomendations??

Thanks snapper

Get an ECHO 300, or 345 on ebay. You can get them new for under $200 there.

It will outlast a poulan (sears), homelite, or mac (the newer box store garbage) 10-1

I saw a husky 55 rancher for $280 brand new. Hard to beat that also.

I really like my Stihl 017 for the small stuff. $159.99 new with a warranty not a bad price. No experience with Echo but many on this like them so there must be something to them.

Jeeez Brain, your killin me here:blob2:

I used to work P/T @ Home Depot in the outdoor dept. & sold loads & Loads of "Wild things" & the "Big Monster" 20" farmhand.

Everytime, I would try to talk them into an ECHO, or to going down the street to the Stihl, or Husky dealer. But no............

One time I had a guy come in with an old blue XL-12 Homie. He was looking for parts (a sprocket, the bearing was siezed)

When I said "Sorry" he bought a new Homelite & gave me his old one, which i am sure will outlive the new piece of junk he bought.

So , who got the better deal ?? Me, or the poor guy who bought a new Homelite & gave me his "Old broken one"

wouldn't you say a low end husky or stihl is a step or more above craftsman? Yall opened my eyes and might just get a low end stihl or husky. I have heard husk 141 thrown around and it looks pretty good, and i have see stihl 017 thrown around, but it must be an out of date model number, but it looks a smidge cheaper.

Later guys~snapper

Pardon me, MS170! Check e-bay to see this saws re-sale value........... amazing! And before you ask, YES the 017 IS the MS170, smae saw new model designation.

Another ten bucks or so over the MS170 and you can get the MS180 which is basically the same saw, only a little different.  Really handy (apart maybe from flipping the bar) chain adjusting system.

I've got a friend that has totally abused an 017 for years and it just keeps on serving him well.

If you're going to go Electrolux (almost did with that Craftsman anyway, right?), I'd think the sexier and likely source for most of Husky's better current ideas would be a good place to look (maybe the 2145 or so), see <a href="http://www.usa.jonsered.com/node50.asp?level2=chainsaws">this</a> deep Jonsered.com link.

Glen

Posted by JohnB from another thread

Echo
Hey Doug, Sorry I don't remember the post (357 vs ??). I just wanted to let you know about the Echo products. I have had three echo's. My last purchase was a cs4400. I have a thread covering my experience with the newer saw( search for it if you like). They are great for the money. My other echo's are old, they still run but are low rpm saws and cut considerably slower than todays saws (sometimes good things should be retired). I don't believe they are in the power to weight class with the Huskys but yet a good product. I was in the market for a 357xp a while back and contacted Walker saw shop they can give you a good deal on one. I didn't buy the saw, because my saw budget got spent elsewhere. Just remember half the fun is shoping the that next saw. Enjoy!!!!! the Hoosier!

You can't go wrong with an Echo. Real good solid saws!

i recommend that u email dozer dan
or one of the other mechanics . tellim your needs in a saw and let him get one out to u. u will probably get a saw of professional grade thathas been intelligently evaluated by someone in the know. to me thats would be,a thing [or matter] of great value. good luck snapper.:)

I do look over my own saws. I check the bars and sprockets for any thing unusual. I try real hard to keep my chain sharp, i just can't drop alot of cash for a saw right now. I use one a couple times a month and thats it.

Baileys has a B-36 made by Solo for $199. The Echo 345/3450 would b an excellent choice as well, if you can find it for that price. I have seen them go for $135 on ebay, they have been running up around $185 lately.

How about tellin' us a little more about what you're going to do? You run a landscape service, lawn service, homeowner with a lot of trees with widomakers on 'em, what?

If you're a homeowner, go ahead, get whatever is cheapest, get all your work done, and throw the saw away. If you are professional (meaning you get paid), you should already have a relationship with a few other places to keep your tools sharp and toolbox supplied. One of those folks should have either the tool you need or the advise on where to get it.

Mike-Awesome saw, what an idiot for letting it go.
Snapper, look at what youre doing and buy a saw that fits, I reccomend the Husky 340, you can buy it online with free shipping, and it will last you more than a month worth of cutting. You have to remember if you are felling a tree, power is your friend. The Husky 136, and 141 are poulan made saws, to the same specs as any ther poulan made saw, and I consider it expendable because it wont last more than a year.

http://alamia.com/index.asp?PG=50&ID=126

Check this site out, you wont be disappointed!-Matt

All good suggestions so far. I like the idea of an Echo CS-4400. I think it fits the bill. You may also watch for a Makita DSC-5401 or Dolmar PS-540 on ebay. They are the same saw. I bought a used one for a friend for $190 including shipping (had not even cut wood, but had mix and oil in it). I know there's at least one new one currently up for bid.

How about this one

DSC-401

Or if your fast (not a Homelite, but Italian made Efco)

CS-36

Or maybe you could pick up a used O25 or MS250

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back